Snowboarding

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
with all this talk of Crystal BC, have you guys read or heard about this:
http://powdermag.com/onlineexclusives/crystal_110504/

A quick excerpt...
"Representatives of the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest organized the meeting to address four public appeals to its recent Record of Decision (ROD) for future expansion at Crystal Mountain Resort. The four appellants, who claimed to speak for hundreds of friends and fellow skiers, objected in varying degrees to the ROD's new requirement that the boundary surrounding Crystal Mountain's Special Use Permit (SUP) area be completely closed. In other words, day-ticket and season pass purchasers would now be barred from leaving the ski area to make turns on adjacent public lands."

bad-news bears...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
SR said:
with all this talk of Crystal BC, have you guys read or heard about this:
http://powdermag.com/onlineexclusives/crystal_110504/

A quick excerpt...
"Representatives of the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest organized the meeting to address four public appeals to its recent Record of Decision (ROD) for future expansion at Crystal Mountain Resort. The four appellants, who claimed to speak for hundreds of friends and fellow skiers, objected in varying degrees to the ROD's new requirement that the boundary surrounding Crystal Mountain's Special Use Permit (SUP) area be completely closed. In other words, day-ticket and season pass purchasers would now be barred from leaving the ski area to make turns on adjacent public lands."

bad-news bears...
but if you read on.....

An hour later, when it was Hansen-Murray's turn to speak again, he surprised most in the room by revealing that the Forest Service would remove its boundary restrictions to Forest Service and non-park lands. The reconsideration, he said, was mostly due to an arrangement with Crystal Mountain. The ski area agreed to develop a comprehensive boundary management plan to meet its growing business.

a good friend and crystal old timer says not to worry.... for now....

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
oly said:
but if you read on.....

An hour later, when it was Hansen-Murray's turn to speak again, he surprised most in the room by revealing that the Forest Service would remove its boundary restrictions to Forest Service and non-park lands. The reconsideration, he said, was mostly due to an arrangement with Crystal Mountain. The ski area agreed to develop a comprehensive boundary management plan to meet its growing business.

Yup, thats whats going on. At our season refresher for patrol we were told of this. But as for what Oly posted, the Forest Service and Crystal came to an agreement. This of course was all sparked by the mountains expansion plans. There are some "gray areas" at Crystal people were using frequently wich were the big concern of the Forest Service. The head of our patrol told us these things have been worked out and we as patrollers may have to enforce a more strict or as Oly put it a more comprehensive boundary management plan.
But the mountain is on for the expansion of the Northway tram.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
oly said:
but if you read on.....

that was just a test to see if you'd read the whole article

you passed :oink:

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
NineFingers said:
The tram would be sick, would it be going to King Mtn.? They also need to turn crystal into a dh resort for summer, i think it would bring in alot of business and of course a local spot to rip :thumb:
No the new chair or tram, I think a chair, will go to Northway peak.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
other end from where your thinking...over by the green valley chair if I'm not mistaken.

Kim, where is that chair proposed to start at?

stacy1

Chimp
Sep 14, 2004
OFF 410
All this talk of boarding is making me crazy. When is it going to rain?? I have had a midweek at crystal the last 13 seasons. Anytime somone wants to ride up there let me know.

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
Me and a couple dudes are heading up on sunday, somewhere. Looks like it might be Baker. Thinking of hood, but from their website it doesn't appear to be open. What's up with Timberline? Is is any good to go with only 4 chairs running?

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
I'm heading to Baker tomorrow. I have open seats and could use someone to poke at me when i'm trying to drive home. I get so sleepy after all that work.

Anyway. I'm leaving from Seattle at 6 ish. I'm going to be gone for part of the night. PM me with a phone number and i will call when i get home.

Matt

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
Hey 66,
Sorry I missed your post. We had room for another rider on sunday at Baker. If you went, hope it was all good. Baker was pretty darn fun. Had fresh pow most of the day, although no freshies for us as we stopped for breakfast and didn't hit the slopes til 10. Four hours was enough for us for the first time out this year. Coverage was decent; no rock damage and we rode off the groomers.

Think MORE snow

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
I did go and had a great time. Great snow. I wil probably go again Saturday. Again, if anyone wants to jam, I have room.

Jun 18, 2004
Baker on Sunday was hella fun!!!.... perfect day/location to get back into it w/16" of powder... so much fun... I can't wait for Stevens to open so I can use my pass... then in Jan w/my lady friend at Whistler... I wanna ride Crabapple!!!