Quantcast

Snowshoe race #4 shuttle bus running?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Anyone know if the bus will be running on the western side at race #4?

Race #3 was a great time and good course. Brad: please post up the results. Thanks

Also, you should consider posting up your video course profile sooner since it will help us to convince more people to come if they can see the course first.

OB1

Monkey
That's an interresting thought. I know the secretive thing has been the policy of the Shoe. But really...with such great courses, why not highlight them earlier? Get people talking and excited about the course before it's too late for some to plan a trip.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Just bumping this back up.

Does anyone have contact info for Brad? I think he should post up his #4 race course plans ASAP as we only have 4 out of our crew that want to go since everyone else is leary of the course on that side of the mountain.

d.tate

Judge Dread
May 22, 2007
Race 4 will be on the basin side. My understanding is the trail crew is going to be cutting an entirely new trail for the race. The start should be somewhere close to the village. The shuttle bus is scheduled to be running for race for weekend on the western side. According to the Snowshoe website the western lift is going to be closed for servicing. Probably why the race is on the basin side since only the basin lifts will be spinning.

OB1

Monkey
maybe they'll actually make the raging bull trail run all the way to the top and have it on that.
I got wind from someone "in the know" that the course will not go down raging bull. But who knows. Keeping the courses a secret DOES keep people talking about the race. But it also keeps some guys from going because they don't want to go to a race without knowing what kind of course it will be. The Shoe crew has done a great job mixing up the courses this year in my opinion.:thumb:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
well, we have 4 guys that want to go. We also have 6 people that have said they are NOT going. We have another 10 or so people that are on the fence. I think the secret thing is a mistake. We have a local race the same weekend so I think most of our crew is going there. I plan to go to SS#4.

Last edited:

d.tate

Judge Dread
May 22, 2007
It's not so much that it is a secret more than the fact that the race will be down a trail that is not even built yet. Given the trail crew's history it will not be a cakewalk. I anticipate a mix of steep and technical with fast and flowy. It will certainly be different racing a much shorter course than the Western side. For example the race they did on last year's closing weekend down m to o took under 2 minutes. This course will start at a much higher point but still will probably not be more than 3 minutes long for most racers.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
If anyone is familiar with skiing there the course is being run down under the Grabhammer lift. Very steep and lot's of BIG rocks.

The trail machines are over there too working on the extension of Raging Bull.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
At SS#3 race registration, they were asking racers about a preference for either Saturday or Sunday races. I thought they were refering to next year. Does anyone know how to contact Brad?

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Saturday race would be kind of cool for those of us who can take Fridays off. But otherwise it would probably suck to only get 2 hours of practice on some of these longer courses.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I got a text from Brad. The race will be on the basin side, on Sunday (regular schedule), and yes the shuttle buses for the Western Territory will be running.

OB1

Monkey
This basin side race + closed western lift has sparked a CLOSED WESTERN MOUNTAIN rumor. I've heard it from 3 different people now. And I don't know THAT many people.:p Something about me being a know it all or whatever. I don't know. Some people play hard to get....I play hard to want.:thumb: But that's a whole different thread.....

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
You may want to check out how f'n fun this course looks before you decide not to come. There are pics posted on chainsmokeracing.net, and they have put in some work.

Jun 11, 2004
Track looks good! I was thinking a Basin side race wouldn't be so good, but the pics got me thinking differently.....nice work SS Trail Crew!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
From what I hear T-pro designed it. If so, then it will be just as awesome. I have always liked the techness of the Basin side, just not all the wood features. So I am stoked and will be there.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Trev did design it. I went on and on about how much I have loved the Shoe designs this year. So listen up while I tell you how great this one is.......
Wait...if I'm reading between the lines correctly here, is this one of those "if you don't have anything nice to say" times?

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
From what I hear T-pro designed it. If so, then it will be just as awesome. ..... So I am stoked and will be there.
if by awesome you mean ride it once and never want to see it again, then ya, it's pretty awesome. short course with little/no flow, ridiculously designed drops (saw one guy snap off a headtube due to a rock-lipped lander), and redundant grass sections. I'm usually a big proponent of the ss races, but after riding the course I have absolutely no desire to race it. sad to see them wrap up an awesome series with this