Quantcast

Snowshoe... Wheres the beef?

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
Well...i have to be honest and say that I was expecting a little more from my recent trip at Snowshoe...After hearing all the buzz all spring long about "whistler of the east", and that "powerline" will rival "a-line" I had high hopes.... My summmary...Snowshoe is a good spot and serves the southeast location well, but it is by no means a "whistler of the east".... Diablo, Pkill and bromont are much more developed riding spots. Diablo has only been open for 21/2 years and already it has more trails, better trails than snowshoe.... I think its cool that snowshoe is making improvements, but they definately need to step it up before their marketing machine starts hyping the place up. The jump trail aka powerline was absolutely embarassing. I think the smallest jump on Dominion at Diablo is bigger than the biggest one on snowshoes powerline. Did shaums march really design this trail? If so, snowshoe got robbed on that one.

I hope that snowshoe continues to build more trails...overall it will be good for everyone. I wont be returning to snowshoe until I see signs of freeride elements that are largers scale and not just put in place to be called 'stunts'.....ladders in the middle of trails that serve no purpose is really a waste of lumber.

Also when i was there the place was dead...hardly any riders and the weather is perfect. Whats up with that? They need to have amazing trails in order to attract people away from Diablo & pkill. Most of my friends in MD & DC head to Diablo even though Snowshoe is equal or less time to travel. Not a good sign.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
First of all no one ever claimed for snowshoe to be the whistler of the east. When people ask me if it is like whistler i reply no not at all. It is just some stupid label people like yourself have tried to put on the resort in an effort to put us down more because we don't live up to this so called label.

If you actually had asked anyone you would have learned that powerline is only 1/3 done and is going to be resculpted because of the erosion and due to the fact that all of our trail crew were busy working on monster park's course for the event. Trail maintenance and working just started back up and powerline is going to be reworked and cut all the way to the top of the mountain eventually.

I personally have ridden whistler, diablo, and snowshoe and powerline is by no means the best jump line out but it is a fun trail. The 3 main jumps if you know how to hit them will boot you high and in my opinion i can boost more off the 3rd one higher then i can at diablo because their jumps are like huge walls but you don't get as much air as you think you should.

The ladders if you stop and notice most of them they do actually go over certain areas but you must understand most ladders besides the stuff at the north shore in vancouver are not designed with function in mind. Most stunts these days are built to be fun and i'm sure most of the riders that come here find them fun.

And in you terms of what you said is dead is because people don't understand that the weather.com report is never correct and they just need to come out here. I know tons of people from MD & DC that goto diablo because it is a shorter drive because it is straight up the highway. I think we sold almost 500 lift tickets when monster park was here and that is not including season pass holders. We don't get insane business every weekend but weekends like monster park cover that and when the weather is projected to be nice we can get quite a good sized gathering.

If you want this place to grow you need to stop being a prick about it on the internet and give some input to the people who work their asses off to try to add a place to the map for people like you to ride.

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
mobius said:
First of all no one ever claimed for snowshoe to be the whistler of the east. When people ask me if it is like whistler i reply no not at all. It is just some stupid label people like yourself have tried to put on the resort in an effort to put us down more because we don't live up to this so called label.

If you actually had asked anyone you would have learned that powerline is only 1/3 done and is going to be resculpted because of the erosion and due to the fact that all of our trail crew were busy working on monster park's course for the event. Trail maintenance and working just started back up and powerline is going to be reworked and cut all the way to the top of the mountain eventually.

I personally have ridden whistler, diablo, and snowshoe and powerline is by no means the best jump line out but it is a fun trail. The 3 main jumps if you know how to hit them will boot you high and in my opinion i can boost more off the 3rd one higher then i can at diablo because their jumps are like huge walls but you don't get as much air as you think you should.

The ladders if you stop and notice most of them they do actually go over certain areas but you must understand most ladders besides the stuff at the north shore in vancouver are not designed with function in mind. Most stunts these days are built to be fun and i'm sure most of the riders that come here find them fun.

And in you terms of what you said is dead is because people don't understand that the weather.com report is never correct and they just need to come out here. I know tons of people from MD & DC that goto diablo because it is a shorter drive because it is straight up the highway. I think we sold almost 500 lift tickets when monster park was here and that is not including season pass holders. We don't get insane business every weekend but weekends like monster park cover that and when the weather is projected to be nice we can get quite a good sized gathering.

If you want this place to grow you need to stop being a prick about it on the internet and give some input to the people who work their asses off to try to add a place to the map for people like you to ride.
I did give input and you just got defensive. AND make excuses. So what your saying is that the mountain cares more about some 1/2 ass freestyle event than its paying customers? it shows...The powerline was a joke. It was in horrible condition and it wasnt built that good from the start. Powerline has only been open a little while and it already needs tobe completely rebuilt....they werent built right from the beginning.

The jumps at Diablo are way bigger and if you KNOW how to hit them (aka fast!) you get way more air than anything at snowshoe. Snowshoes busiest day (monster park) is like a normal day at diablo.

The only way that snowshoe can compete is to build stuff better than Diablo or Pkill...not subpar and then make excuses.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
1/2 assed freeride event...i guess that makes berrecloth, chase, and the like chumps???

i agree with andrews explination of whistler of the east...show me one thing that snowshoe has officially put out that has said they are the whistler of the east.

the way that i've always heard in mentioned in casual conversation is that it is HOPED to be one day developed to that point given the common lineage of the two locales.

PRIOR to you riding, those that BUILT it, had already said that they needed to do it over...so thanks anyways :thumb: for that keen insite.

since you seem to be a diabloe groupie...ask yourself if the cats that built diablo and currently run it would actually speak in the manner that you have???

this type of riding is precious to say the least. SUPPORT it plain and simple.

stop for just a second and think about what is really good for the sport and please pull your head out of your ass.

snowshoe is only at the START of its second year with respect to marketing itself as a freeride destination and in only its second year it had some of the BEST freeriders in the world rippin' a kick ass contest.

save face.

just admit you weren't thinking straight.

come back

have fun

rant over

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
ridetoofast said:
1/2 assed freeride event...i guess that makes berrecloth, chase, and the like chumps???

i agree with andrews explination of whistler of the east...show me one thing that snowshoe has officially put out that has said they are the whistler of the east.

the way that i've always heard in mentioned in casual conversation is that it is HOPED to be one day developed to that point given the common lineage of the two locales.

PRIOR to you riding, those that BUILT it, had already said that they needed to do it over...so thanks anyways :thumb: for that keen insite.

since you seem to be a diabloe groupie...ask yourself if the cats that built diablo and currently run it would actually speak in the manner that you have???

this type of riding is precious to say the least. SUPPORT it plain and simple.

stop for just a second and think about what is really good for the sport and please pull your head out of your ass.

snowshoe is only at the START of its second year with respect to marketing itself as a freeride destination and in only its second year it had some of the BEST freeriders in the world rippin' a kick ass contest.

save face.

just admit you weren't thinking straight.

come back

have fun

rant over

DITTO.

Why are you complaining so much? Did you get dominated by Hairball? It's ok, you can tell us. :evil:

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
Hairball -sniff- b-b-beat me and -sob- r-r-raped me, it was h-h-horrable. -honk-

sry, had to get that out of my system, but see you can admit it, we're all family here.

realy though, stop bitchen and enjoy the fact that it's even there. if you didn't like it go somwhere else.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Mattoid said:
Ah, spackler returns. He's like the food critic that no one wants to hear from.

EDIT: And he smells bad.
Yeah I have noticed that he has been in a few other threads talking smack about something or another..

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
This is really the first year of the new Snowshoe.

They have never claimed to be "The Whistler of the East." And probably never will. They are going to be "Snowshoe, WV". <period>

Yes, Shaums was involved in the design of many of the new trails.

But this is "East Coast" and it isn't the same as out west. There are springs and sh!t to contend with.

They are trying hard and Monster Park was a huge distraction and have already admitted they have a lot to learn. Brad and Kalan have been a great addition to the mountain and you can see their style on a few trails already. It's the one's that make you think "Hey this is like Wintergreen, only better!!!"

I've been all over SN management about running both lifts on weekends. If they do start, y'all better put up or shut up. I wanna see lift lines on those weekends!!!

And ignore the Weather Channel. They have no freakin' idea what's going on up there. Just show up, bring your mud tires and ride dammit!!! It's Snowshoe beyoch!!!!

Mike

Simms

Chimp
Sep 17, 2004
summit county Colorado
Living in colorado this summer has opened my eyes. Snowshoe is one of a kind. And it is sooo well known out here. There are tons of great mountains around colorado with excellent riding. The local riders here give Snowshoe much respect and I can't count how many times I've heard "I got to get out there and ride". The terrain in WV is SO difficult to work with. Snowshoe is well ahead of it's time for being the official 2nd year for DH and freeride. Great job with the development this year! I am proud of you guys and thankful for your hard work! Hopefully I can get out there and ride this fall.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Simms said:
The terrain in WV is SO difficult to work with.
Great point Simms!

I forgot to mention I spent four 10 hour days working with these guys on the trails this spring. Hacking trails out of this mountain is tough work both on men and machine. I was physically whupped, Kalan almost flipped the "Pug" ( an all wheel drive mini dump truck kinda thing) trying to turn it around on lower Cupp Run and the track fell off of the Bobcat backhoe trying to climb the mountain to build the Powerline trail. On the upside I'm riding for free this year and anyone willing to put in four tens can too.

Thanks for the props from our bros out west! I'd be honored to show y'all around when you come up to the Shoe!

Mike

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
Guy's, just go ride. Bikes are supposed to be fun. I get just as big a thrill riding thru traffic on the way to work as I do rippin down a mountain. As for Whistler of the East, that doesn't and will never exist. Whistler is Whistler the same as New York is New York. Don't get caught up in all the media or personal hype. Just go ride something for christ sake. There is something good and bad about everything. Just go have fun. After all, we are all grown men and women riding around on bicycles. How searious can you take yourself? Don't let someone elses bad time and attitude become yours. Roll it up, light it up, and go rip it up!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
thespackler said:
...The powerline was a joke. It was in horrible condition and it wasnt built that good from the start. Powerline has only been open a little while and it already needs tobe completely rebuilt....they werent built right from the beginning.
i really hate posting something in this thread because it's turning into a Wintergreen debate...but if it weren't for people who come and ride Powerline when they're not SUPPOSED to (a.k.a. - when it's wet) and further deteriorate it, then we wouldn't have people like Spackler riding it while it's in a sh*tty condition and therefore coming to the conclusion that "IT SUCKS! blah,blah,blah" Spackler...sit back for a second and consider this. do you REALLY think that Powerline was designed to be like that when you rode it?

OF COURSE NOT. get some common sense and realize that it's a work in progress.

thespackler said:
Snowshoes busiest day (monster park) is like a normal day at diablo.
HAHA. Diablo might have the popularity and more evolved JUMP trails to back it up,but other than that.....no. i'd like to see the proof buddy.

everyone has a right to voice their own opinion,but some people really shouldn't. honestly.

dru

Chimp
Jun 1, 2005
va
AlmostHeaven said:
HAHA. Diablo might have the popularity and more evolved JUMP trails to back it up,but other than that.....no. i'd like to see the proof buddy.
you don't have to put down diablo to make your point.
I love both places, rode diablo for years, love it.
I rode snowshoe for 3 days for monster weekend, loved it.

and for the spackler try positivity
give the shoe a few years it will only get better, they have people with the right idea, and knowledge.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Spack,

I was going to write a long post but i give the short version.

Don't dis ANY DH mountain.....Shut up and support it.

I'd rather ride Snowshoe ANY day over Diablo. Better, more varied terrain.....hell, just breathing the air there makes me feel good.....the potential there is ENORMOUS.

Disclaimer:
Diablo is the absolute poop-king of overhype.......that's why i brought it up.......

dru

Chimp
Jun 1, 2005
va
Cant Climb said:
Don't dis ANY DH mountain.....Shut up and support it.

Disclaimer:
Diablo is the absolute poop-king of overhype.......that's why i brought it up.......
:confused: :confused: :confused:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
dru said:
you don't have to put down diablo to make your point.
I love both places, rode diablo for years, love it.
I rode snowshoe for 3 days for monster weekend, loved it.

and for the spackler try positivity
give the shoe a few years it will only get better, they have people with the right idea, and knowledge.
thanks for dragging this out into another page long. i wish people would actually READ the posts before they comment about it.

i didn't diss Diablo at all. a comment was made about a single day at Diablo being like a day here at Snowshoe with Monster Park going on. i've never heard anything more false, that's all. sure, Diablo has been a large staple of east coast 'freeride' for a few years longer than Snowshoe,but it cannot come anywhere close to Snowshoe is variety of terrain and trails, mileage of trails, and longevity of a mountain bike program - freeride or not.

let this thread come to an end, PLEASE. i know i'm not helping much but this is a total waste of space and time arguing about these two resorts. they both offer more than any single person could for our sport so the only thing we need to do is ENJOY them and not take it for granted.

stop bitchin' and go ride!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Simms said:
Living in colorado this summer has opened my eyes. Snowshoe is one of a kind. And it is sooo well known out here. There are tons of great mountains around colorado with excellent riding. The local riders here give Snowshoe much respect and I can't count how many times I've heard "I got to get out there and ride". The terrain in WV is SO difficult to work with. Snowshoe is well ahead of it's time for being the official 2nd year for DH and freeride. Great job with the development this year! I am proud of you guys and thankful for your hard work! Hopefully I can get out there and ride this fall.
Let’s just put the WV and east coast riding in perspective. There is a pro rider that came from the left coast to race. Yes, this person had all the credentials and all the sponsorship and so on. While this individual had a respectable finish, they complained about how tough it was and how muddy it was. They said it was the hardest area in the North America they have ever ridden.

The appeal of Snowshoe is the bike friendliness. I’ve NEVER been, but I know most of the guys there, and it’s because of these folks that I can guarantee makes Snowshoe so much fun.

Just my 2 cents

P.S. this racer is a member here on RM

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
Cant climb... you must be an oldschooler that. There's a difference between Snowshoe and Diablo. Snowshoe makes bold statements claiming to be the best in the east and Diablo doesnt. Diablo lets the riders, magazines and pro's do their talking for them. Snowshoes Mountain Bike ad in some mags... "The best just got better".... Are they for real? Best at what? HYPE? :nopity:

Ive been to Diablo for the US Open and Ive been to Monster Park at the shoe. Both good events, but the US Open (even though it was a race not Slopestyle) drew way more people. Since I have been at both mountains this year I could say that the average day at Diablo APPEARS to be as busy as Snowshoe was during Monster Park.

Regarding terrain...Are you people serious? For everything Snowshoe has, Diablo has either more or better build terrain. (EXCEPT for XC and weird no-purpose stunts). Diablo = more jumps, better jumps, bigger jumps, better flow, more convenient, better lift, more reliable lift schedule, no need for shuttling, better race course design (ie last years SNowshoe NORBA :nope:), WAY better trail maintenance, more input from local pros, more magazine coverage, you name it. I think Snowshoe has potential, dont get me wrong, but the really need to stop being the claimers that they are. While I was at the US Open there were a few people from Snowshoe on Dominion saying how Dominion sucked, "wait till everyone" sees "powerline".... I think people are still waiting because Powerline is like a kiddie line compared to Dominion.

Oh yea...one last thing..as I am typing this I just checked my mail and the new Mountain Biking Mag just showed up at my door... Guess which resort is on the cover?

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I really Don't understand the complaining about a place, with a lift ,that you can ride. It wasn't that long ago there was no where to ride. Why compare Snowshoe, Diablo. P'kill ect. they all have a personality of their own. I have rode them all, as well as some places that no longer exist. Personally I like the Downhill side of Snowshoe, The freeride side makes me feel a bit clostrophobic, but I still enjoyed the ride. I ride Diablo Prett often cause it's close. iI like the flow of their trails. P'kill is just way sick, I wish I was a better rider,cause I would really enjoy it more. Each one of these places busts their butts to keep the trails rideable. What do you think your local stuff would look like after about 1000 runs on one weekend. No one place can be everything to every body, but if you take them all for what they are ,he east coast is ahead of the whole country in killer riding. Be happy you got place to ride within a few hours drive and quit complaning, I am sure there are a crap load of beginners out there in love with powerlines.

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
^ Werd. I never meant this thread to be a bash. All my original post was saying that my expectations surrounding Snowshoe didnt live up to the pre-season hype. Thats all. Just my opinion. And ive heard MANY peolple say the same thing. This will probably explain why the attendance at snowshoe has been less than stellar, i heard last weekend that there were only a few riders.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
thespackler said:
Cant climb... you must be an oldschooler that. There's a difference between Snowshoe and Diablo. Snowshoe makes bold statements claiming to be the best in the east and Diablo doesnt. Diablo lets the riders, magazines and pro's do their talking for them. Snowshoes Mountain Bike ad in some mags... "The best just got better".... Are they for real? Best at what? HYPE? :nopity:

Ive been to Diablo for the US Open and Ive been to Monster Park at the shoe. Both good events, but the US Open (even though it was a race not Slopestyle) drew way more people. Since I have been at both mountains this year I could say that the average day at Diablo APPEARS to be as busy as Snowshoe was during Monster Park.

Regarding terrain...Are you people serious? For everything Snowshoe has, Diablo has either more or better build terrain. (EXCEPT for XC and weird no-purpose stunts). Diablo = more jumps, better jumps, bigger jumps, better flow, more convenient, better lift, more reliable lift schedule, no need for shuttling, better race course design (ie last years SNowshoe NORBA :nope:), WAY better trail maintenance, more input from local pros, more magazine coverage, you name it. I think Snowshoe has potential, dont get me wrong, but the really need to stop being the claimers that they are. While I was at the US Open there were a few people from Snowshoe on Dominion saying how Dominion sucked, "wait till everyone" sees "powerline".... I think people are still waiting because Powerline is like a kiddie line compared to Dominion.

Oh yea...one last thing..as I am typing this I just checked my mail and the new Mountain Biking Mag just showed up at my door... Guess which resort is on the cover?
Ggggrrrrr....i really didn't want to keep this bullsh*t going. Spackler just wants to keep making an ass of himself so we might as well let him.

I have to agree with teamkranzelbike on many levels. He is totally right about every resort having it's own personality. Every resorts riding is different in some aspect,and like he mentioned,none of them can be everything to a rider. They will love and hate certain parts of it,and they have a right to that. However, I still stand behind Snowshoe and WV in general terms of variations of terrain. No other state was awarded an 'A' in the IMBA survey this year. Do you think there is a reason for that?

One of the main reasons Diablo has as much publicity as they do is because of...duh...the US freakin' Open. That will make ANY resort popular. events like this obviously yield large amounts of money. I wonder what that makes possible? Hhmm...trial maintenance,new trails,better lifts,no shuttles,more pro input and visitation,etc. The list could go on for days. Snowshoe has had a 'mountain bike park' for 2 years. the US Open has been running for longer than that,not to mention how long Diablo has been open itself. With time comes improvement. We've all got to realize this.

Stop bashing Snowshoe, and stop being jealous. If you want to ride at Diablo then go right ahead. If you want to come to this website and openly start slandering Snowshoe,then it won't turn out very nicely because there is a large following to the riding here and some little jackass spreading a bunch of nonsense isn't going to stop them from coming here. I don't exactly know what the initial point of this thread was,but i think you should reconsider what you're bitching about and just let it go.

If anyone understands what i'm saying then please chime in and back it up. I don't even know what else to say. Spackler has done his job well in getting us riled up. I think if he knows better he should take that as a victory and not come 'round here no mo'.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Some people just don't understand that Snowshoe's trails are very young and still need time to grow and improve. Give the people working there time and patience and in a few more years, everyone will be happy with the results.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
AlmostHeaven said:
Ggggrrrrr....i really didn't want to keep this bullsh*t going. Spackler just wants to keep making an ass of himself so we might as well let him.

NO resort has the variety of awesome terrain that Snowshoe (and immediate surrounding area) has. if there WAS,don't you think another state would have gotten the only A give by IMBA while ranking all states in their annual survey?

one of the main reasons Diablo has as much publicity as they do is because of...duh...the US freakin' Open. that will make ANY resort popular. events like this obviously yield large amounts of money. i wonder what that makes possible? hhmm...trial maintenance,new trails,better lifts,no shuttles,more pro input and visitation,etc. The list could go on for days. Snowshoe has had a 'mountain bike park' for 2 years. the US Open has been running for longer than that,not to mention how long Diablo has been open itself. with time comes improvement. we've all got to realize this.

stop bashing Snowshoe, and stop being jealous. if you want to ride at Diablo then go right ahead. if you want to come to this website and openly start slandering Snowshoe,then it won't turn out very nicely because there is a large following to the riding here and some little jackass spreading a bunch of nonsense isn't going to stop them from coming here. i don't exactly know what the initial point of this thread was,but i think you should reconsider what you're bitching about and just let it go.

if anyone understands what i'm saying then please chime in and back it up. i don't even know what else to say. Spackler has done his job well in getting us riled up. i think if he knows better he should take that as a victory and not come 'round here no mo'.

GOT IT?

I quoted AlmostHeaven because I could never word it any better then him for this topic matter. Some people like Wintergreen, Some people like Diablo, and many love Snowshoe.

Your commentary is obviously intended to instigate. Possibly an analogy would make a better example of why this thread took off. If you got to Philadelphia’s Lincoln Financial Field, and started screaming about how the Philadelphia Eagles suck, and how the Cowboys are the shiznitz, I’m betting you would barley escape with your life. I just don’t make no sense to do that. Have a little respect is all.

If you like Diablo better, then by all means, continue to go there and enjoy your riding and friends there.

That’s all..

Have a nice day. :)

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
all that snowshoe needs to develop into a premier riding spot is a superhighway across the middle of WVA. Then the cash will pour into that place.

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
You all tip-toe around the topic... MARKETING HYPE.. Answer this then.... Why does snowshoe's ads say "the best just got better". If thats not hype than what is! Snowshoe is misleading people. My group drove there and we were like "we drove 9 hours for this ?$#%".... I think the reason why MANY people dislike snowshoe is their attitude. You dont see pkill, or wintergreent or Diablo saying things like "the best just got better". pretty lame...

Ok. IM done now. Say what you want about me, but you know what Im saying is correct.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
thespackler said:
You all tip-toe around the topic... MARKETING HYPE.. Answer this then.... Why does snowshoe's ads say "the best just got better". If thats not hype than what is! Snowshoe is misleading people. My group drove there and we were like "we drove 9 hours for this ?$#%"....
So you drive 9 hours based on a Magazine ad without checking into it further and you blame the Marketing hype? How weak minded are you? Just searching THIS forum you can get a good idea of what to expect from SS. If you did any kind of searching at anytime prior to the Monster Park weekend you would of read about Powerline being redone.

Maybe "The Best just got Better" was referring to the riders and what they were going to pull at the competition?

Just sayin :cool:

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
spackler..do you know anything about marketing? Hype is what brings people in. It attracts people, also Snowshoe is "the best" in the area. It didnt say we are the best in the world, country or anything like that...why not stop bitching and go and help build...or you are probably one of those guys that goes and rides a spot when its wet, or wrecks lips and expects someone else to fix it...quit whining and either go help build or keep riding diablo.

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
So you drive 9 hours based on a Magazine ad without checking into it further and you blame the Marketing hype? How weak minded are you? Just searching THIS forum you can get a good idea of what to expect from SS. If you did any kind of searching at anytime prior to the Monster Park weekend you would of read about Powerline being redone.

Maybe "The Best just got Better" was referring to the riders and what they were going to pull at the competition?

Just sayin :cool:

No..we drove 9 hours because of people hypin it up on this message board. I shouldnt be too harsh on y'all though....considering most of you are southerners and don't really know much. Hell, for all you know Snowshoe could even be Whistler!

Ok..Now I have to apologize, afterall, y'all are just a product of your envirnment.

Ever see that movie "Wrong-turn"? It took place in West Virginia.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
thespackler said:
Cant climb... you must be an oldschooler that. There's a difference between Snowshoe and Diablo. Snowshoe makes bold statements claiming to be the best in the east and Diablo doesnt.
I think here is a distinction. Diablo does have super groomed trails.....thoose built jump trails and berms and stuff. Personally i can't stand that kind of riding, i think it is silly. I'd rather ride a difficult rutted off camber turn than a buffed hold-my-hand-mommie berm anyday........

If you grew up DH ing at Diablo you arent going to find a whole lot of that.......it is more al'Natural down in Snowshoe........sure they got some stunts but the terrain surrounding it and making up the rest of the trail is primo al'natural stuff......I ride thoose stunts down there but i what i enjoy most are the giant a$$ roots, rocks, just the attitude of the terrain there......that kind of terrain is VERY Rare in the sport of DH.

I agree with the marketing......Snowshoe is the best in the east, hands down if you ask me......

...Sounds like you got your butt kicked down there.....BooWhoo

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
thespackler said:
No..we drove 9 hours because of people hypin it up on this message board. I shouldnt be too harsh on y'all though....considering most of you are southerners and don't really know much. Hell, for all you know Snowshoe could even be Whistler!

Ok..Now I have to apologize, afterall, y'all are just a product of your envirnment.

Ever see that movie "Wrong-turn"? It took place in West Virginia.
No need to apologize really, I went to SS last year, did my own research and had a blast. You are more then welcome to compare it to whatever you want, and if Whistler is the benchmark so be it. However if you dont want to come across as nothing more then a whiney e-hater, you might consider writing some valid commentary about your experience at SS vs else where.

So far your only comments seem to be directed towards its advertising, which is pretty :stosh: . I have had tons of Miller light and have yet to have this happen

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
Yep...Just what I thought... An oldschooler. You think groomed trails are silly because you cant ride jumps! I guess whistler is silly too then? Lots of groomed stuff all over the place.

Ripper or Deceipt at Diablo rivals any 'natural' stuff at snowshoe.

You can agree all you want with snowshoes marketing, but you are definately a minority. If more people agreed with you, there would be way more people riding there every weekend. My friends that live down there say that some weekends there are only like 10-15 riders at snowshoe. hmmm, being the best in the east must be rewarding?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
thespackler said:
My friends that live down there say that some weekends there are only like 10-15 riders at snowshoe. hmmm, being the best in the east must be rewarding?
Isnt SnowShoe like 4 hours away from a city of any size? Isn't Diablo like 2 hours away from NYC? Ya THINK that might have something to do with it?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
thespackler said:
Yep...Just what I thought... An oldschooler. You think groomed trails are silly because you cant ride jumps!
I was big jumper in the late 90's.....they all got plowed....i could go build some in the vacant lot behind the supermarket though......but i aint gonna build a worldclass moutain back there......

Get lost jerk.......

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Isn't Diablo like 2 hours away from NYC? Ya THINK that might have something to do with it?
err...........try 20 minutes.......

there are 25 million people within 45 minutes of Diablo.....

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
thespackler said:
Ripper or Deceipt at Diablo rivals any 'natural' stuff at snowshoe.
HAHAHA

dude, you must really suck at riding. honestly.

or did you just get "Hairball'ed"? :thumb:

i'd like to see some pictures of natural terrain trails that even come CLOSE to rivaling anything on the Western side at Snowshoe. you either ride very very slow and don't think the trails offer much to crappy riders,or you TRY to ride fast and get it handed to you in a paper bag every 100 yards.

it's one or the other at Snowshoe. what's it gonna be?