Quantcast

Sorry...It's that time again...Fox 40 vs. Boxxer WC / Team / Race?

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
I would really like to hear from people who have migrated from a Fox 40 to a Boxxer. I've been running a '07 Fox 40 for the last 5 seasons. It's been and still is a good fork...but It is a bit heavy...and sometimes feels a bit "clunky" and unresponsive in technical terrain. It has an almost "wooden" kind of feel to it and always seems to want to stick at lower speeds.

Is it the age? or does a Boxxer, with the smaller diameter stanctions have a more "nimble" feel in general? I know the Boxxer is lighter...and I am trying to get the bike under 40lbs. ( 2008 IH Sunday WC)

I know both forks have great qualities...but I'd really like to know what the differences are.

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You might like the newer '12 40, they've done a number of things to make it move more freely:

- SKF seals
- Kashima stanchions
- Green oil (custom formulation)
- Better bushing fitting in lowers

I went from 32mm Boxxer -> 35mm Boxxer -> '07 40 -> '12 40 and once broken in the new 40 definitely has less stiction than the Boxxer. The inverted damper in the new 40 is also a huge improvement over the older style, there's a lot more compression range on tap and it's a lot more reliable.

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
Thanks for the info...wish I had 2K to invest in a fork...but I'm trying to get something used for under 1K...You liked the '07 40 better than the Boxxer? What would you say were the most noticable differences? handleing? I know the 40 is easier and less maintenance intensive...Maybe these enduro aftermarket seals are too tight and create stiction??? but the fox oem seals seemed to leak...not a lot...but some...I know Fox doesn't reccommend them...

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
No, it's not that time again. Use the search, read the other threads, you're going to get the same exact opinions as always. You'll get pages and pages of answers from all different people already written down, you don't even have to wait for people to reply! I'm not trying to be a dick, but your situation is not unique.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That's a tough one, and no, I meant the '12 40 before - comparing the '07 40 to a current gen Boxxer isn't really apples to apples.

The Enduro seals are definitely doing your fork no favours and are probably a big contributor to stiction. Since you are on a budget, before you drop the $$ on a new fork - why don't you try grabbing a pair of the '12 SKF seals and some Fox Green 10wt oil for your existing fork, and giving it a good clean and rebuild? Try running 60ml of the oil per lower leg.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
No, it's not that time again. Use the search, read the other threads, you're going to get the same exact opinions as always. You'll get pages and pages of answers from all different people already written down, you don't even have to wait for people to reply! I'm not trying to be a dick, but your situation is not unique.
Quiet! Udi is talking...

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
how often do you service your fork ? Like Udi said, new seals and green oil will make a significant improvement to your 07... especially if you haven't serviced in a while . .( I do mine every 10 days of riding and it makes a noticeable difference if I wait for say 20 days)

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
how often do you service your fork ? Like Udi said, new seals and green oil will make a significant improvement to your 07... especially if you haven't serviced in a while . .( I do mine every 10 days of riding and it makes a noticeable difference if I wait for say 20 days)

and for what its worth , The Fox > Than the boXXer IMO .

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Ive been running a 2009 fox 40 for the past couple years until i set up some new bikes with a 2010 boxxer team and 2010 boxxer wc. My 40 never suffered from stiction problems, even without frequent servicing. The damper blew twice though, and i left it as such and simply kept running it. Before use I disassembled my boxxers, slick honeyed and lubed them, and they seem to have m0ar stiction than my 40 ever did. The damping adjustment range seems inadequate on both forks, but the wc is pretty light. Im not the type to play with shim stacks, so my choice would be the 40. It is a stiffer chassis anyway.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Thanks for the info...wish I had 2K to invest in a fork...but I'm trying to get something used for under 1K...You liked the '07 40 better than the Boxxer? What would you say were the most noticable differences? handleing? I know the 40 is easier and less maintenance intensive...Maybe these enduro aftermarket seals are too tight and create stiction??? but the fox oem seals seemed to leak...not a lot...but some...I know Fox doesn't reccommend them...
Go ride had 40s for 999$ for a while.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Go ride had 40s for 999$ for a while.
Yup, I just picked up an '11 left over oem from go-ride. From what I understood it is essentially the same as the '12 minus a little kashima and an older seal design. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, and I am "high end" fork dumb, but so far I am satisfied with the overall appearence and quality I am seeing. My plan is to run the stock seals until I service the fork, or 2nd service, and then upgrade to the 2012 style as most have said they are significantly better (doubtful I will notice a big difference)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I made a transition from a 2009 40 to a 2010 boxxer team, to a 2012 boxxer WC. I have been happy with every transition.

However, it sounds like money is a slight issue, why not just spruce it up? get some skf seals for it, a new stantion, and the new damper? I like my boxxers (both the team, and now the current WC) really a lot, they're phenomenal forks and you really can't go wrong with them, but you could have a fork that performs just as well if not better if you just spruce up what you got.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
Udi hit the nail on the head. run the newer style seals and the green oil (which is full synthetic) and you will be a lot happier with the performance of your fork. i'm not a huge fan of the boxxer, even though i've had one for years. i won't buy one again, if that helps you. and if a 888 wasn't half the price and simpler i would buy a 40 without even questioning it.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Where does this "Green Oil" go.....in the top, bottom, or both....?...

I got the same fork from Go-Ride for $999.
Best fork i've ever owned.
Have the SKF seals but won't install until the old give out...feel no stiction.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Where does this "Green Oil" go.....in the top, bottom, or both....?...
The Green oil is only for bushing lubrication, so it goes in the lowers. 50ml per lower leg is what the manual specifies, however 60ml per lower leg is safe and some distributors use this for a little extra lubrication (as do I).

You can fill from the bottom or top, it doesn't really matter. The damper in 40s is a sealed cartridge so you won't be putting any oil in it unless you actually intend to (by opening it up etc).

The cartridge itself uses Fox Red (rebadged Silkolene RSF 10) and you don't want to put the Green oil in there. All FIT cartridge forks use the Red for damping. The only forks that use Green for damping as well are the open-bath ones - obviously you don't have a choice there.

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
THanks for all the input...I do maintain this fork really well...because it's so easy...and I'm going to give the new seals and green oil a try...It will prob work just fine for my needs.

I should resist the temptation to do what I usually do...ie..."this thing works great...it always has...I think I'll sell it!!!!"
I'll prob buy my friend's Heckler for $900 and use it to get back in shape for the season...my only "uphill" bike got stolen 2 years ago.

I'll post about the seals and the oil after I've installed them.