Quantcast

soup

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Ribollita. Greatest soup on the face of the earth. :drool:
I'll second that. I made a huge pot of it not too long ago, but with regular kale. It's damn hard to find cavolo nero in the states. I'll probably be making some more soon. You HAVE to have some fresh olive oil to go with it.

edit: Sourdough it a little bit sour, but not sour like a lemon. Most "sourdough" bread isn't sour enough, IMO.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
But no pesto? :confused: :p
Mine might be easier,but yours sounds tastier. But, I could add pesto, I have enough in the freezer.

I'm really big on from scratch stuff that's fast....for those nights when you just don't have the time/urge to make a production. This soup fills that bill for me.

gg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mine might be easier,but yours sounds tastier. But, I could add pesto, I have enough in the freezer.

I'm really big on from scratch stuff that's fast....for those nights when you just don't have the time/urge to make a production. This soup fills that bill for me.

gg
Indeed. Quick, fresh, and yummy is a good combo. Try the pesto next time. I think I'm going to make this soup again tonight. :cheers:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I've been wanting some good ol' NM green chile stew lately....
Here's how I do mine:
chunk and braise a pork butt or other similar cut. Add - diced potatoes, green chiles, tomatillos, a can of diced tomatoes, garlic and oinions. Then stew for a few hours. Serve with rice. Depending on the cut used, you may need to defat the broth. I find this is a great one for crock-pot ski days.

gg

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Here's how I do mine:
chunk and braise a pork butt or other similar cut. Add - diced potatoes, green chiles, tomatillos, a can of diced tomatoes, garlic and oinions. Then stew for a few hours. Serve with rice. Depending on the cut used, you may need to defat the broth. I find this is a great one for crock-pot ski days.

gg
that sounds damn good!!!

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Just had some pumpkin curry soup at this new place we tried this weekend. www.smashwine.com
It just may be our new favorite place.
Wine flights, port flights, cheese flights served with honey and perfect portions.

I make a killer Whiskey Crab Soup. Secret recipe obtained from a disgruntled chef.
Here it is as a friend wrote it. I think I stick mostly to the recipe...one thing, the 'Basic Red Sauce' recipe here will make enough for three batches of soup. It freezes well and with a little TLC can be used with pasta.
I haven't made it for a while because it's so rich, I can only stand it once a year or so. It'd be ideal to serve shots of it with some creme fraiche cilantro drizzle at a dinner party or something.

WHISKEY CRAB SOUP
Makes approx. 1.5 gallons

Ingredients

Roux:
1 cup butter
Enough flour to make a thick paste

Soup Base:
2 quarts fish stock
1 quart heavy cream
1 ½ cups basic red sauce (recipe follows)
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tsp. Tabasco
1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp. White pepper
1 ½ cups flaked Dungeness Crab
2 oz. Jack Daniels Whiskey (plus a shot for the cook)
1 oz. Sherry
1 T. Worcestershire sauce

Basic Red Sauce:
½ cup olive oil
1/3 lb. Shredded carrot
1/3 lb. Chopped red onion
56 oz. Of canned tomatoes (preferably pear tomatoes) drained
3 cloves of garlic
1 T. dried basil

Roux:
Make roux first and set aside. (Roux is a thickener and is used to avoid lumps.) Melt the butter in a little fry/ sauce pan over medium heat, gradually stirring in flour to make a fairly thick past. You will add the roux last to the soup. You won’t use all of it and a little does a lot of thickening so add it slowly.

Basic Red Sauce:
Saute onions and carrots in olive oil until the onions are clear, but not brown. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for ½ hour with the lid on. Remove from heat. Mix sauce in blender until smooth.

Soup:
Mix all soup ingredients, except the rue, in a pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat. Cover and simmer gently for 1.5-2 hours. Then add roux until thick enough. Soup will also thicken as it sits so be careful not to add to much roux.

Serve and Enjoy!!

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Make the pesto tortellini. Be sure to have a loaf of fresh bread available. :drool:
I'm on it. It's been raining like a mthrfkr here for about a week and we're all drowning but eating and drinking well.
Can't ride unless you bring a swimsuit.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Here's how I do mine:

gg
I think i am gonna mod that by substituting hominy for the tomatoes.

Mmm.... :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Unfortunately, no. This is a Hawaiian system coming thru known around here as "The Pineapple Express" so it's warm, windy and wet. Not looking good for ski season. Here's a passcam of one of the better places an hour+ from home: http://wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/stevens/

Nothing is open yet and probably won't be for another month+ if previous experience is anything to go on.
Damn. You guys need to send that Pineapple Express down here. When that $hit hits Colorado it usually results in arseloads of snow for our mountains. :cheers:

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
yah, no kidding. It's 57 outside here, certainly not snow weather. Windy and wet though - good enough for soup!
Tell me about it. All the heat is off in the house and it's close to 75 in here.
The pesto tortellini is simmering away though and I'm now going to select a bottle of wine from the cellar.

I used red pepper pesto and threw in some spicy Italian sausage from Whole Foods.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's rainy and (relatively) cold here so today I had a big steaming bowl of soba in hot broth with tempura for lunch today, holy crap it was good.

(Note to self: Never use the words "big steaming" and "crap" in the same post. Doh!)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Mine is even easier.
saute some garlic in EVO. Add 2-3 cans lo salt chicken stock, 1 14 oz can of italian style diced tomatoes, bring to simmer, add 1/2 costco size thingy of tortellini, simmer until tortellini is done. Stir in 1 thawed box of chopped spinach, warm through. Serve with fresh grated yada yada....

As the nearest costco is oooh a good 3,000miles away from here about how big is that "thingy of Tortellini"?

Sounds good though. :D

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
As the nearest costco is oooh a good 3,000miles away from here about how big is that "thingy of Tortellini"?

Sounds good though. :D
I am all out, or I'd tell you. If I had to place a guess for other FROZEN/FRESH ( not dried, ew ew ew) It might be two or three of those tiny fresh pasta packs that most US supermarkets have in the deli/cheese section. This is one of those "take some" kind of recipes so I am sure you can figure it out.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I am all out, or I'd tell you. If I had to place a guess for other FROZEN/FRESH ( not dried, ew ew ew) It might be two or three of those tiny fresh pasta packs that most US supermarkets have in the deli/cheese section. This is one of those "take some" kind of recipes so I am sure you can figure it out.
Those tortellini packages are 24oz.