Quantcast

steel vs ti

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
to bad you assumed and never knew I've owned plural bikes and know a 400 steel vs a 400 ti ti is softer and steel
Noticed I never mentionned anything about my 350 being obviously softer all I said is more preload and its on the money were I wanted.

Yall assumed.

thanks 4 hating.

p.s dont be saour cause you can't figure out the angleset ;)
they arent hating, they are just stating that your blatantly in the wrong here.

your experiences are different to what every examination of said materials proves.

i guess placebo counts way more then proper science.

as for your ti feeling softer then your steel spring, both at 400, could it be that the ti was made at a higher spec and closer to its actual spring rating?

factor in that if both deviate by 5% in opposite directions, you end up with a difference of 10% in spring rating.- please note cheap fox springs are notoriously inaccurate in their rating.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
to bad you assumed and never knew I've owned plural bikes and know a 400 steel vs a 400 ti ti is softer and steel
Noticed I never mentionned anything about my 350 being obviously softer all I said is more preload and its on the money were I wanted.

Yall assumed.

thanks 4 hating.

I have a 12" wood ruler and it's longer than my 12" Aluminum ruler.

See how that works? No? because it doesn't.

Sheesh, its not hate, is logic due to facts.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
I have a 12" wood ruler and it's longer than my 12" Aluminum ruler.

See how that works? No? because it doesn't.

Sheesh, its not hate, is logic due to facts.
well, it depends: if you deep freeze them both, the aluminum one will be shorter, given they were exactly the same length at room temperature! ;)

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

Yall assumed.

thanks 4 hating.

those 400 springs, have you tested the actual spring rate by a professional? or do you take the printing on them for granted?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I was trying to explain to a vendor one day the difference between a pound mass and pound force. And why you have to take out 386.1 in/s^2 when dealing with mass in a zero g environment that undergoes other accelerations that are not specified as "Gs"

But the English system is dumb, lbm, lbf, slug, Gs or in/s^2.

I vote we make up a Ridemonkey system.

Distance we will use the unit "shim"
Spring stiffness will be in dead babies

Feel free to contribute! What unit should MOAR be attached to?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC

Yall assumed.

thanks 4 hating.

Lol..keep posting this sort of stuff, Im having a good laugh here...

Come on man , no ones hating just pointing the obvious...a #400 is a #400 no matter what material it is made of...

Based on my own life experiences I'll give you that @ equal rates, a ti spring does somewhat feel a bit more responsive (MAYBE)Surely not softer by any means and Im guessing that 's probably more of a placebo effect and me wanting the damn thing to be better cause I spent a lot of money on it :)

Like others have said already , you cant rely on those # off the springs and need to have them both professionally tested...you knew that right?

The fact that you've owned plural doesnt give you a nobel prize in physic my friend and you'll need to come up with some hard facts if you want us to believe what you are saying :D

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
All the talk about the differences between how steel roadbike frames and ti roadbike frames ride must be placebo then, too, huh? Years and years of misinformation, uncovered on the dh forum. Who'd have thought...

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
All the talk about the differences between how steel roadbike frames and ti roadbike frames ride must be placebo then, too, huh? Years and years of misinformation, uncovered on the dh forum. Who'd have thought...
Different feel yes but at equal rates , saying titanium is softer is just silly...Its like saying a 37 pounds aluminum Session 88 weight more than a 37 pounds carbon V-10...different material, different behavior perhaps but in the end . . . same weight.A #400 rated titanium spring is equivalent to a #400 steel one. Its a measure , regardless of what its made of.Do you think a #400 carbon spring would be stiffer then ? :rofl:

Im 34, my GF is also 34, Im a guy , she's a girl but we both have the same age (well technically Im a week older than her but Im sure you get the point now):thumb:

Im pretty sure P-spec did not have both springs professionally measured and what he thought were equivalent springs simply weren't.One could have been 5% softer and the other 5% stiffer than said rate and you'd get a significant difference on the trail...

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
all I gotta say is.
I deff understand 400 is 400.

if a 400 is a 400,then why do they recomend jumping in weight for ti ( from wat your running if you like it ) .

No reason ? or is it because it is a softer metal,or is it because the ti binds are further then the steel ones ???

why would spring manufacturers recomend this.

disclaimer for those,yes I know I got a softer spring,this is my personal preferance towards my weight and preferences respectibily.

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Remember the threads way back rotating spring perches (I'm not sure this is the correct term). Several monkeys noticed how the suspension felt smoother and softer with rotating spring perches.

This is purely e-speculation:

A steel spring of the same rate and stroke has more turns/winds than a Ti.
Therefore the steel spring will want to turn more in its perches (static perches in 99% of MTB applications) when its compressed compared to an equivalent Ti.

What I think you would find is that without rotating spring perches the Steel Springs rate will increase as its compressed relative to the Ti due to the spring being compressed and effectively rotated at the same time relative to the Ti.

I think that this is probably what accounts for most of the difference in feel between Ti and Steel, so if you after the better feel of Ti but not necessarily weight savings a rotating spring perch might be a better investment than a Ti spring.