Quantcast

Subdivisions:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I think more people would do that if they could.
Problem is it takes money to do a planned community and no building is willing to do that and not government is willing to do it either.
What most builders dont' realize is they will get more for homes that are in a nice planned community.
yep.... however, 90% of the construction industry only looks at the up-front cost unfortunatly...

this is why hardly anyone will install a 14 seer air conditioner. low E windows or use radient barrier decking... all of which will help the home owner in the long run (say 3-5 years) but none of which will increase the builder's bottom line (in fact it cost profits).. yeah, i install that stuff anyway in my spec-houses just because i want to, but i am the only one in my area who does.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
yep.... however, 90% of the construction industry only looks at the up-front cost unfortunatly...

this is why hardly anyone will install a 14 seer air conditioner. low E windows or use radient barrier decking... all of which will help the home owner in the long run (say 3-5 years) but none of which will increase the builder's bottom line (in fact it cost profits).. yeah, i install that stuff anyway in my spec-houses just because i want to, but i am the only one in my area who does.
I replaced my old crap unit with a 16 seer (or something like that) and my electricity bill went down 30%.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
It was about 20% more than the less efficient model. It will take a while but it will pay for the upgrade, makes my inner hippie feel better too.
the minimum is 13 seer (as of last Jan)... before that it was 10 seer.

yes, a high seer ac unit will pay for itself in 3-5 years, so pat urself on the back and finger you peace-beads... u did good.

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
I've made some stupid purchases in my time but buying my home and lots of property was not one of them. Hopefully I will never see a neighbors house in my lifetime.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
You have 15 feet between the houses??
That was my first reaction, too. I easily can touch both houses in most subdivisions around here while walking between.

The city is so effing spread out it's retarded, though. We pack a whopping million people into an area the size of Philadelphia.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I just gotta say something. I plan those subdivision. There is actually a reason for the house being so close. Its called a "Cluster Subdivision"
The idea is if you have 100 acres and can but 30 houses on it, then you put those 30 houses all cruned together on 0.5-1.5 acre lots and you leave the rest as "Open Space"(land that can never be developed). At least this is what the Planning Boards/ZBA and the average american idiot wants. Personally I need at least a couple of acres, I don't want to see my neighbors. If I can't piss of the side of my deck its not country.
AHHH! You participate in the creation of these monstrosities?

Is it just me or is there something wrong and unamerican about "planned communities?" Having lived in a country dominated by the soviets, I can say with confidence that their urban development model is worse (identical high rise apartment buildings with no services of any kind), but nothing pisses me off more than stupid zoning laws and suburban subdivisions.

Zoning has its place to a certain extent, but I have to express my preference for unplanned communities. . . population centers that occurr because there was some reason to live there, places that evolved and grew in a haphazard but ultimately beautiful way. Places where builders refrained from bulldozing every living thing. Places where services and homes are mixed, where architecture is not standardized, where quality and durability factor into the purchase decision rather than just square footage.

I guess I'm an elitist or something eh?

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
Not all subdivisions are equal...I know a guy who is biulding a straw bale house subdivision in Jacksonville, Or. They all have big lots and lots of natural open space between the lots.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wonder how many non NE monkeys know that reference.

My faith in the monkey is strong!! :monkeydance: :mokeydance:

I thought the exact same thing when I read the title.

Marc
Ever since I read the thread title I can't get it out of my head, Aaaahhrg.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I guess I should feel fortunate though that these people would rather be sardened together in these crappy communities rather than more evenly disbursed over the rest of the planet

Any thoughts?
this is the prime reason why i bought an older house. i knew it would take more work to maintain the 30 yr old structure but it was built when a yard was still important. i only regret my decision in the fall when i spend about 2 full weekends raking leave :mumble:

part of the back yard (where i plan on building some dirt jumps)

the fenced in "dog-run" that i have no use for, maybe i'll put a playset in there for the kids

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
we've got 10 acres out in the mountains in VA. we bought the largest most powerful leafblower on the market and it still takes a full month to clear the full acre of yard.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
After 21 years in the Santa Cruz mountains, with a view of Monterey Bay and Demo (Soquel Demonstration) forest from my deck, I moved into a highrise in a big city (350,000 people) in Spain. In 45 minutes pedaling time, 35 on the XC bike, I was in the woods. Not like a city park, but out in the wilderness. The cities are all so tall they have a tiny footprint. Here in San Luis Obispo, (pop 40,000) it's about the same amount of time to get out of town.

I'll live in a highrise as long as the bike fits in the elevator and the city's footprint is good and small. The high rise was sweet, within walking distance to the clubs and bars, right accross the street from the train station, and with grocery stores near by. It wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. Too bad this sort of upward but not outward development will never happen here in CA.

Oh yeah, there's still a suburbia, but it's tiny, as no one wants to live farther than walking distance to everything. Definitely an interesting change.