Quantcast

Suggestions for next years "fluidride" cups

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Now that our beloved series is over for 2009, what would you like to see changed for 2010?

Personally, I would like more venues, or at least different tracks at the current venues. (A track a hood that used just the multorpor chair would be sick, 3+ min track in the trees the whole way!)

I would like to see points for qualifying (for pros and JR. X)

Some more jumps would be fun!

bring more nationals to the NW. One at PA and one at Hood!

An eastside race again (honestly, I think beacon would be a fun venue)

bring back slalom!

-KT

jgibb83

Chimp
Sep 29, 2008
Bring back Dual Or if the winter 4 x goes good and there intrest would it be a possible to rebuild the 4x track at PA into a real 4x track like Angel fire or Sol vista is?

As far as Dh goes it was good! Just dont have race to close to when the USA Nats are that makes a long expensive month of July.

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
Without being specific, there will be a lot of changes next year.

The 4X track out here needs a lot of work and it is hard to maintain because of the dreaded quad-gods. The knuckleheads can't resist borrowing their girlfriends quad and sessioning the track, usually backwards, and ripping all the lips off.

Dual Slalom entries were too small to justify the effort. We haven't ruled out trying again however. We actually had intentions to merge the dual track into the 4x track which is still on the table.

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
im excited for next year i would like to do DS or 4x and i think more venues would be killer like idaho and spokane. i just got a sponsorship offer from spinergy and intense cycles i can see what they would like to bring to the table.

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
First of all let me just say that I'm very satisfied with the series and if I had to chose between getting none of my wishes below and still having races, and getting them all, I'd obviously stick with things how they are. But in the interest of providing feedback to improve the events, here goes:

* More venues and different trails at current venues. Loved the changes made this year. Now if we just had 2 different trails at each location and one or two more locations, no two races would be the same.

* For the current venues, more/bigger jumps to wow the crowds (like the PA finish line booter). Sol Vista Nationals are a good example.

* Pro / Cat 1 Jnr qualifying on Saturday. Generates more excitement between Saturday and Sunday and saves time Sunday.

* Race numbers that always stay the same from one race to the next (how about handing in plates to the organizers at the end of each race?) This makes race timing and points systems much simpler.

* A veteran pro class for all the fast guys over 30 (unless your Bart or Lars ;) )

* Medals/Awards that say Fluidride and don't have XC riders on 'em

* Points for teams and recognition at each race and at the finals of the best teams.

* Continued technical improvements to the timing systems, like live timing on big screens would be hawt (I'm personally willing to work on this with Greg)

Thanks to all the organizers and supporters of this years series, it was very memorable year of racing and it was well planned from a date stand point. The Fluidride Cup series is the real deal and we owe you all for putting it on!

Cheers!

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
Hey ODS. At what point can you start to talk about the changes being planned?

I'd say that it's healthy to have some input from the community and if we have some idea what's cooking there may be some value in getting peoples opinions... Of course if you simply don't want to do that in a public forum, I respect that, but perhaps at least discussing with some select folks that represent the racing community....

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
First of all let me just say that I'm very satisfied with the series and if I had to chose between getting none of my wishes below and still having races, and getting them all, I'd obviously stick with things how they are. But in the interest of providing feedback to improve the events, here goes:

* More venues and different trails at current venues. Loved the changes made this year. Now if we just had 2 different trails at each location and one or two more locations, no two races would be the same.

* For the current venues, more/bigger jumps to wow the crowds (like the PA finish line booter). Sol Vista Nationals are a good example.

* Pro / Cat 1 Jnr qualifying on Saturday. Generates more excitement between Saturday and Sunday and saves time Sunday.

* Race numbers that always stay the same from one race to the next (how about handing in plates to the organizers at the end of each race?) This makes race timing and points systems much simpler.

* A veteran pro class for all the fast guys over 30 (unless your Bart or Lars ;) )

* Medals/Awards that say Fluidride and don't have XC riders on 'em

* Points for teams and recognition at each race and at the finals of the best teams.

* Continued technical improvements to the timing systems, like live timing on big screens would be hawt (I'm personally willing to work on this with Greg)

Thanks to all the organizers and supporters of this years series, it was very memorable year of racing and it was well planned from a date stand point. The Fluidride Cup series is the real deal and we owe you all for putting it on!

Cheers!
I like all of Matt's suggestions. Except maybe the Vet Pro. Wouldn't want anything that doesn't match USA Cycling. I for one like that my class got seriously fast this year. Pushed me.

Thanks for everything. Racing the last 3 years has been a highlight of my life. For those of you that know me, you know I live on highlights.

Wigga

Monkey
Jul 27, 2004
kirkland
with regard to dual slalom and lack of interest, i was planning on competing once but then i found out it was only one class and if your quali time wasnt up to par you wouldnt even race at all. i may have either heard or remember wrong now so apologies if that is not true, but there is no way i am going to be able to compete against pros. was there ever multiple cats of dual slalom, or were they merged into one since there wasnt enough interest? i would love to ride ds but there was no way i was paying the extra money to get a few timed qualifiers.

another vote for saturday qualifying, and then let us get up late

glory jumps at the end, final stretch at hood was deadly to sprint with no distractions

least 1 new venue would be sweet, i actually like beacon a lot and there are definitely some new/different lines that would make for an interesting race. and a ds course...

i didnt get a chance to make it out very much at all this year but as always it was a rowdy good time, stoked for next year

swan3609

Chimp
Mar 18, 2008
SCHWEITZER!!!!
seriously guys.. I have a few ppl I know that work up there that are saying that the Schwiz is consitering doing the FR up there..

schweitzer seriousl would be soo sick.. they had a world cup stop there and held national races before.. they know how to make it work.. and since Silver droped the ball I think Schweitzer should pick up a stop.. would be a awesome local race for me :)

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
SCHWEITZER!!!!
Had a chance to talk to the people from SCHWEIT at the finals. They were smiling and having a great time. Both expressed how impressed they were with what was going on with the state of Mtn Bikes.

I like the idea of a DS to 4x course... Would that be Super DS?

I would like to see personally a course that is overall the same. Let the class determine the speed it is run at. I do know this can lead to egged out trails, but just brainstorming.

Overall I think this series is one of the best out there and had some of the best trails. Time will work the big details out. Thanks to ODS, Hurricane and everyone involved was an amazing season

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
The one thing that would make a difference for me, is to have a class for Cat III Beginner Men over 50. The faster riders in the Cat III Beginner Men over 40 have 3+ minute times. Most all of the guys who race in that class have times in the low 4's; my best times are in the high 4's, but there's no way I can compete with the majority of the riders in the Cat III Beginner Men over 40. That said, oh well.

Hurricane Racing / Odds have made the FR Cup series a winner for me; thanks to everyone to helped with the race. Thanks to Simon for making it all possible; the level of commitment from all the volunteers has been amazing and inspiring.
thanks to everyone.
turtle

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
If all the stuff goes through with Stevens (big IF, but we can hope) would there be a race there toward the end of the season? I know that would be cool for all the Seattle people because it would be close to home. I know I've seen the Stevens banners up at some of the races so I would assume they want to get involved at some point not to mention a great way to get publicity for their new park.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
schweitzer seriousl would be soo sick.. they had a world cup stop there and held national races before.. they know how to make it work.. and since Silver droped the ball I think Schweitzer should pick up a stop.. would be a awesome local race for me :)
Schweitzer has never hosted a UCI World Cup. They were the host venue for NORBA Nationals in 2003/04/05; but Round & Round Productions was the organizer that got the Nationals there, from their years of experience hosting yearly WIM series races there. Schweitzer knows nothing about hosting a National (as they proved in '05).

BUT - - with the new ownership and management, I think they have the personnel and organizational horsepower in place now to host a great event, especially with some key help from Hurricane and Fluidride.

swan3609

Chimp
Mar 18, 2008
Schweitzer has never hosted a UCI World Cup. They were the host venue for NORBA Nationals in 2003/04/05; but Round & Round Productions was the organizer that got the Nationals there, from their years of experience hosting yearly WIM series races there. Schweitzer knows nothing about hosting a National (as they proved in '05).

BUT - - with the new ownership and management, I think they have the personnel and organizational horsepower in place now to host a great event, especially with some key help from Hurricane and Fluidride.
shows what I know (I am a teenager after all, I wasnt ridng bikes at that time) ... Thanks for clearing it up.. :)

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
a super d series would be hawt. bring together cap forest, hood river, mt hood, and put one up in b-ham somewhere and out at tillamook state forest once that is built up.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Has anyone approached Trillium about hosting a round at Galbraith? There could be a DH trail down from the towers and a super-D could be done as well. I have no idea if there is any precedent for this on Galby but it would be a great way to race on some well known trails and spread the series around to more places.

As far as other riding in the Whatcom county area, from what I know I don't think sanctioned races are in the cards but I would absolutely love to see it in the future. WWU managed to host a race on Double Black near Larrabee state park a few years back.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Has anyone approached Trillium about hosting a round at Galbraith? There could be a DH trail down from the towers and a super-D could be done as well. I have no idea if there is any precedent for this on Galby but it would be a great way to race on some well known trails and spread the series around to more places.

As far as other riding in the Whatcom county area, from what I know I don't think sanctioned races are in the cards but I would absolutely love to see it in the future. WWU managed to host a race on Double Black near Larrabee state park a few years back.
Shuttling racers at galby would be a logistical nightmare. Not to mention there isn't really a good DH trail that goes top to bottom (a bunch of fun sections, connected by minor amounts of road riding)

Kyle,

swan3609

Chimp
Mar 18, 2008
Yeah, I realize that ;) - - sorry if I came off a little harsh. Just wanted to set the record straight.
nah your all good.. I had seen pics of minnar, peaty and some of the other guys there so I assumed.. but I guess When the USA actually had a big race circut, thouse guys would actually come over to race the national series here..

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Shuttling racers at galby would be a logistical nightmare. Not to mention there isn't really a good DH trail that goes top to bottom (a bunch of fun sections, connected by minor amounts of road riding)

Kyle,
I was thinking something along the lines of PT or the Shi!t to the Luge all the way down to the Kiosk on the south side. It would be possible to turn a U-haul truck around at the kiosk and load there and unload at the intersection with the Superman Rock. It would be even better if it included Scorpion or Evo but it would be tough to get a U-haul up the last switch back but I don't think it would be impossible.

All of the trails up there are a lot more pedally and a lot less technical than the trails at PA but it would mix up the series a bit. That's also why I suggested Galby as more of a Super-D venue with some pedals up the roads for short sections like they had at Whistler for the Garbo Super-D at C-worx.

There's also talk of a 4x/DS course going in over the winter.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Ok.

It would be nice to have a few more places to race other than PA and Hood. I'd be happy with more races in PA too. I just don't have the motivation to drive to Hood.

dhxjeff

Chimp
Jan 3, 2006
i'm going to put my vote in for a 4X or DS series. i bought a bike specifically for that and then there were no DS races this year.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

They did stay the same if you remembered to save your plate.

Bring back the pint glasses as prizes. Best award ever and way more useful than a medal.

And yeah, another venue, but I think everybody is on the same page with that.

Live timing would be nice and would help the crowd get into it.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Bham is not a possibility right now, no use in mentioning it. As you all know, there aren't any legitimate DH places to ride in Bham or its surrounding areas.

For PA, I know cutting new trail is always a nightmare in terms of approaching DNR and going through all the hoops. However, if you guys could pull that off, you've got myself and a bunch of my best friends that all work real hard and build tons that would definitely be down to come out to PA for a couple weekends again and do serious work on new options for the races...and I'm sure there's dozens more groups that would do the same. The PA tracks are always super fun and that hill has tons of potential.

I'd personally like to see more sections like King Diamond (of course), as well as more of the techy, rough, rooty sections that are all off camber and preferably in the Silal. I also love the slimy entrance into the woods off the top of white-knuckle (though it's not worth not riding K.D.). More tighter, techier and less double track is always the best!

When the series goes back to Hood, I hate the cannonball!!! There's a lot of us that aren't too competitive-natured and only race because it's fun and we have jobs to get back to the next day. I grew up riding moto, and I know that I COULD go WAY faster up top, but I choose not to because it's not worth the risk. It has little to do with bike-handling and I don't think for an amateur race it's the best. I know I was really happy this past race when the top got shut down because of the wind. The woods section at Hood is super fun! Especially some of those weird rock features and figuring out the line into and off the bridge. Pretty awesome for sure.