Quantcast

Sunday Morning Patapsco Rides

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
For anyone who is interested!!

Princeton Sports is doing a group ride every Sunday morning starting at the Park & Ride (Rolling Road). WEATHER PERMITTING, we will start at 8 A.M. You are more then welcome to join. We will get in about a 2 hour ride, for most of us have to make it back before 11:30 for work. You are more then welcome to join, just look for the Princeton Sports van and come over and says whats up. Haha. Hope to see some of you out there. This is a good way to meet friends and explore more of the park. Since I have started riding with this one group, I have seen more of the park then I have ever in 4 years. Its pretty big. If you need help with directions or would like to check if we are riding Sunday just in case the weather is bad, PM me. This Sunday looks good so I think we will be out there. Hope to see you there.

BTW, my name is Ryan and I will be riding a Blue Cannondale Prophet 1000.

NaptownF400

Chimp
May 25, 2005
Elkridge, MD
Hey Ryan, which trails do you guys normally cover? Do you have a set route or just wing it? I usually ride in via the park and ride, hit the paved trail via Vineyard Spring trail and bike over to do Ridge Trail by way of the waterfall (I think that's Cascade Falls trail?). All in all it's about 9-10 miles. I'd be interested in hitting the trails up the river a bit (Buzzard Rock and Sawmill Branch) if they're fun. I'll see if I can make it this week, but 8am! Jeez, some of us like to sleep in a little on weekends :dead:

John

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Haha, I am so used to getting up at 6 to go to school, it doesnt bother me. I will catch up on sleep in the summer. No we try to just wing it. That is to make it fun. If we had a set trail, that would get boring. But we do try to take some good, technical trails if we are up for it. If not, we will hit some easy trails. Personally I like the downhill trails and the other week we went on this really sweet downhill. I want to do it again. We actually stayed closer to the Park and Ride instead of crossing over the bridge last ride. But I am sure I can convince them to venture in over there. Haha. Yea man try to make it out. Give Princeton a call on Saturday before 5 P.M. to confirm that we are riding. If you want the number, PM me. Dont want to post it on here. I think we should be riding though. There isnt much heavy rain in the forecast. Just short rains.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
rpk1988 said:
Personally I like the downhill trails and the other week we went on this really sweet downhill. .
I rode with some xc oriented riders Wednesday on the south side starting from inside the park at avalon. I swear we rode every trail in the opposite direction as I would have normally choosen to ride them. It was all climbing. After 10 miles, I thought I was going to hork up my spleen on my 35lb bike. I'd love to hook up with you guys someday but Sunday mornings are usually filled up. Alas. I'll probably stick to riding Wednesday nights with my XC friends. That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Look for me on my Titan grunting up some ridiculous climb.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Haha, you should join this one group I ride with. They like to a do a mix of both and there are all kinds of riders out there. There are the crazy young ones and the hardcore old ones. All a good group of guys (and women too). Haha. They ride Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. If you want more details, shoot me a PM and I can hook you up with the rides. But other then that, try to make it out this Sunday mannn.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I know. I am tired of this unpredictable weather. They always say it will be like 80 degrees then it ends up being 95 degrees with 1000000% humidity. Its stupid.

You coming out?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Haha yea you did. Whats wrong with you man. What are you going to do about your brake. Yea dont worry, my bike is having problems now too. I knew it would come.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I think I'll put my addiction to "Google Earth" to use:

The Park and Ride is on the right side of the picture. Avalon is sort of dead center. Rockburn is far left. I promise that I will come out some Sunday I swear.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Dude thats awesome. So you are coming out on Sunday. Sweet man. Try to be at the Park and Ride around 7:45. The weather is looking good. Shouldnt be a problem. Check back here Saturday evening if you can just to make sure.

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
rpk1988 said:
Dude thats awesome. So you are coming out on Sunday. Sweet man. Try to be at the Park and Ride around 7:45. The weather is looking good. Shouldnt be a problem. Check back here Saturday evening if you can just to make sure.
how long do you guys usually ride for? do you have a specific route you follow, or is it random based on who's there and who's leading the pack?

i can't make it this weekend, holiday and all, but i might be up for some XC next weekend - it's been a while since i rode patapsco...

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
kirstin said:
how long do you guys usually ride for? do you have a specific route you follow, or is it random based on who's there and who's leading the pack?
We usually ride for about 2 hours. We usually get in about 12 miles. And no, we dont have a specific route. We pick and choose where we want to go with who is there. That makes it more fun. Hope you can make it out.

NaptownF400

Chimp
May 25, 2005
Elkridge, MD
Good ride today guys, thanks for waiting up :thumb:

I'll be out of town next Sunday, but I'll try to hook up with you the following week.

Ryan - Expect a visit about clipless pedals sometime soon.

John

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
That sounds good man. Yea it was a good ride. About the keeping up, you only get better if you ride with someone better.

Just let me know when you want to come in and I'll let you now if I am working. I will be working tomorrow, our hours are 10-4. But any other time, just bring your bike and ask for Joe or Andrew or me or anyone can really help you out. But I would be more then glad to help you.

Catch up to you later. Bye

Ryan

NaptownF400

Chimp
May 25, 2005
Elkridge, MD
Hey did anyone notice the work they've been doing on ridge trail (I say "they've" since I don't know who "they" really are)? I was out there Thursday and it looks like they added a good couple hundred yards as an "alternative" route along the path. It looked really nice, right up until I got caught in the deluge that evening... oh well...

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea I saw that too John, but what have you been up to lately man. Try to come out if you can. We had a good slow ride today. Just chilled.

NaptownF400

Chimp
May 25, 2005
Elkridge, MD
Sounds good Ryan, I should be able to make it tomorrow if the weather holds out... it's been pretty crappy these past few days :(

By the way, you guys ever head out to the western MD parts? A guy from work just went to a triathalon at Rocky Gap where the biking part was mountain biking. He said the trails there were pretty decent. We were thinking about heading out there in a few weeks, weather and work schedule permitting.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Rocky Gap is pretty far when I understand the Frederick Watershed and Gambrill State Park are better overall. I was up there last weekend and it was definitely worth all the hype compared to anything locally in central MD that I've ridden.

And by "alternative route" do you mean something that might interest someone who doesn't wear lycra and rides with flat pedals?

NaptownF400

Chimp
May 25, 2005
Elkridge, MD
bttt

sorry I'm going to miss you guys this week. I'll be out of town. I should be able to make it next week, weather and hangover permitting ;)

John

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Transfer said:
How far away is Patapsco from Arlington/DC?
It's located right next to BWI if that helps. Traffic depending say an hour plus or so? Probably a little more cause you gotta go over the WW bridge.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I hate the WW Bridge, that place is always backed up, but maybe not on a Sunday morning between 6 and 7 A.M. Unless a lot of people are going to Church early.