Quantcast

suspension geeks rejoice

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
You may or may not be suprised, but we actually see upwards of 7-8m/sec. on the MTB stuff. These are peak velocities but seeing 2-4m/sec is commonplace. As for the chassis stuff, I don't want to give much away now, but if you've been around 4 post units you've already got a pretty good idea of how it's laid out. Maybe we can persuade Litter Mag to make a trip up to cover that unit as well.

We use our dyno for the most part for generating damping characteristic curves. For examaple examining levels of Propedal in a shock, how it transitions from bump force, etc. This combind with the leverage ratio stuff allows us to better tune the shock to a frames specific mechanical characteristic.

hey d i was wondering when you say 7-8m/sec is that at the tire or at the shaft? also maybe im totally wrong here but, given some fancy telemetry and so on, could this kind of rig be used to simulate different courses and bike setups or is that just useless?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Its custom. Cane Creek has partnered with SouthernDAQSolutions to build up the system. When finished, it will be a whole lot more than just a DAQ device.

Nice. When can I take a look at it? Will you have it at the next Snowshoe?

I really just need the sensors as I have a source on a 2 channel 100hz DAQ with an additional feature of a GPS logger. I would really like more channels but it's realitively inexpensive.

Also, it's ok to brag that your the person behind SouthernDAQSolutions ;)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Do you have motion ratio software to compensate for the potentionometer not being in line with the shock?
What is the sensor, sonic, laser?
Looks nice, slightly more compact than Racetech's

It would be pretty easy to write an equation for wheel travel verses shock stroke and relate that to his sensor location. I't just geometry. It's even easier since it's a single pivot bike.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
It would be pretty easy to write an equation for wheel travel verses shock stroke and relate that to his sensor location. I't just geometry. It's even easier since it's a single pivot bike.
Yep. Just plain ole' kinematics 101.

The system is very, very compact and has 8 analog in channels and can sample at 48 Ks/s with 14 bit resolution. It also has 12 DIO, 2 analog out, and 1 counter timer. Its actually more compact than it looks. The carrier for the device is a prototype and pretty bulky. I'll try and sneak another shot as it progresses and slims down.

I did some runs at Windrock with it lastnight and didn't even know it was on the bike.

Bebbster

Chimp
Nov 18, 2001
Oxfordshire, UK
There is a company in the UK working on a similar DAQ system, but it includes GPS, wheel speed sensors, crank rotation sensors, and logs both front and rear suspension at the same time. It's still in development at the moment, but hopefully when it's finished it should be reasonably priced.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Pretty cool Doug, I've been down this road before during Sunday development. Built a DAQ system into the design of the prototypes. I actually had a potentiometer riding a gear designed into the top links for the rear suspension and an expensive as all hell linear pot for the front. You can kind of see it in this old Litter photo. Neat stuff.

http://www.littermag.com/onlineissues/4/so13.htm

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Cool stuff.

SouthernDAQSolutions is my company and I was approached by Cane Creek to do the DAQ work for them. They had a pretty neat system already, but I helped them speed up the DAQ rate and to add datalogging. Their goal is to fully understand how to help customers optimize the tuning of the Double Barrel on their bike.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
That shock probably cost more than a whole DH bike.

Is the dyno in the first picture is Progressive's? I thought their dyno was in a smaller room that somewhat protected the operator. I might be wrong since it was 5 years since I was there.

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
Is the dyno in the first picture is Progressive's? I thought their dyno was in a smaller room that somewhat protected the operator. I might be wrong since it was 5 years since I was there.

This is a new one that they bought about 2 years ago when they got into offroad motorsport development. Technically it's way smaller than the old one, but WAY more powerful. It has 4 big electromagnets in each corner that drive the ram. The dyno, the grey box and PC are all that's involved with the new one. The old one was a hydraulic ram unit and had a huge hydraulic pump that sat in it's own room, plus the dyno and computers which were in another room. It was a dog, it couldn't even come close to reproducing the displacment or shaft speeds that are seen offroad.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Matt that thing is sick. I am so jealous that you got to play with that. What a great toy.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Damnit, now i really want to send my shock in, still little short on cash though, but i wanna make that damn pogo rc a push. Oh well. all in good time i guess

For the auto guys, one of the most impressive suspension dynos i have ever gotten to play with is a four post adjustable chassis/suspension dyno. It has four platforms which one goes underneath each wheel of the vehicle, and each wheel is strapped down with some really gnarly strong straps. Usually it is done with a frame and suspension, with added weights to simulate the rest of the vehicle. It uses hydraulic rams/pulls to simulate any and all road/offroad conditions to test out how well the suspension is working, and how long it will hold up. the one i was playing with could simulate up to a 6 foot drop, didnt drop that far, but could produce that much upward force, and all four corners moved independantly. BTW there was no way possible to talk when this thing was running, extremly loud and shook nearly the whole building it was in

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
This is a new one that they bought about 2 years ago when they got into offroad motorsport development. Technically it's way smaller than the old one, but WAY more powerful. It has 4 big electromagnets in each corner that drive the ram. The dyno, the grey box and PC are all that's involved with the new one. The old one was a hydraulic ram unit and had a huge hydraulic pump that sat in it's own room, plus the dyno and computers which were in another room. It was a dog, it couldn't even come close to reproducing the displacment or shaft speeds that are seen offroad.
what stuns me is that OSHA, ISO and/or QS would allow that thing to not be in a completely sealed off glass casing with a second barrier between it and the operator.....