Quantcast

Tariffs = Extra consumer costs?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
the generics segment of the pharma industry is pretty shady, even by pharma industry standards.
I don't challenge that. What that opens up is a major developed nation ignoring US patents. If they ignore US patents, who else would use that as an argument for ignoring US patents?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't challenge that. What that opens up is a major developed nation ignoring US patents. If they ignore US patents, who else would use that as an argument for ignoring US patents?
what i was sort of alluding to is the sketchy history of patent enforcement in the pharma industry.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
what i was sort of alluding to is the sketchy history of patent enforcement in the pharma industry.
China and India are not developed countries. Canada is a direct ally to the US, so the legal respect/enforcement is generally there. This could just be an tip of the iceberg threat to overall patent enforcement. Canada has far fewer patents that would be impacted compared.to the US, so the govt could create a tax structure for some mark-up to compensate Canadian holders.

I think this is mostly a threat to get the US pharma industry supporting Canada in NAFTA talks, but it is still the Canadian side hitting the bully (US) back in negotiations with a baseball bat when they are only being pushed around. And I agree they are fully in the right.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
China and India are not developed countries. Canada is a direct ally to the US, so the legal respect/enforcement is generally there. This could just be an tip of the iceberg threat to overall patent enforcement. Canada has far fewer patents that would be impacted compared.to the US, so the govt could create a tax structure for some mark-up to compensate Canadian holders.

I think this is mostly a threat to get the US pharma industry supporting Canada in NAFTA talks, but it is still the Canadian side hitting the bully (US) back in negotiations with a baseball bat when they are only being pushed around. And I agree they are fully in the right.
I'm not talking about China and India. I'm talking about things that went down in the EU and NA, including the good ol U S of Freedumb. You seem to forget I have spent time in the pharma industry.

Don't forget most of the major pharma cos are US based.

Plus there's shifts going on in the industry that are decreasing the importance and role of patents.