Quantcast

Team Maxxis DH team to ride Ellsworth

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
It is a little funny that the shop that luke is assosciated with/rides for has at least one multi part Ells on the wall. Seems a little odd for a company who is not even in the DH realm to step up and do this.

Seems as if Turner is not wanting to continue trying to compete for sponsorship of athletes any more. For awhile, they had a huge group of riders to get feedback from and exposure (Kirkaldie, bailey, Carter, honda team, all the 'unknowns' like Luke(2nd best US DH result at worlds) and Cameron). Now........

whatever the outcome, good to see some support given to a very deserving rider.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
It is a little funny that the shop that luke is assosciated with/rides for has at least one multi part Ells on the wall. Seems a little odd for a company who is not even in the DH realm to step up and do this.

Seems as if Turner is not wanting to continue trying to compete for sponsorship of athletes any more. For awhile, they had a huge group of riders to get feedback from and exposure (Kirkaldie, bailey, Carter, honda team, all the 'unknowns' like Luke(2nd best US DH result at worlds) and Cameron). Now........

whatever the outcome, good to see some support given to a very deserving rider.
I don't think it's that they don't want to... They just don't have as deep of pockets as some of these other companies...

Morgan

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
all lit up
awh! poor luke! but lets be possitive, if bender is still on an ells, luke could follow him and take some notes on line choice n style n stuff.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I hope the Maxxis team gets a hookup on some of those moto neck protectors in the next thread down.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
the end result was obviously a "business" decision, rather than based on bike performance / quality / rider preference / etc

how do you know that? has anyone here ridden a Rouge or even seen the quality of the frame? sure it was a business decision, but if your business is racing you're not going to use sh*t equipment.

hell i thought i was on MTBR for a second.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
hahaha, easy with all the facts there. tell me sensa, how many Rouges have you seen blown up?
It doesn't matter how many of a particular model anyone has seen broken. Their frames, in general, have a habit of exploding. They then have a habit of leaving the customer holding the bag for their shoddy craftsmanship and being rude about it to boot. This particular frame may indeed not break, but if it does, owners may very well be left SOL.

Ask around, i'm sure their is more than one unhappy ex ellsworth owner on Rm alone. You can start with dogwelder.

Also, wtf is a sensa? and i think you mean rogue. Rouge is a color.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
how do you know that? has anyone here ridden a Rouge or even seen the quality of the frame? sure it was a business decision, but if your business is racing you're not going to use sh*t equipment.

hell i thought i was on MTBR for a second.
look at the geo of the rogue. It is NOT a DH bike. The front end is quite long (as is the wheel base) and to get anything resembling current DH angles and bb height, you would need to run it in 6" 'mode' with a 2.25" stroke shock and an 8" fork. It is quite tall and steep when compared to other current DH frames.

I have owned an Ellsworth (an ID) and the finish quality was quite nice, however, it was quite underbuilt (for my type of riding), did not get the advertised amount of travel, and was way way tall. I think they make a great bike for a wealthy dad type guy who XC/trail rides and gets an adrenaline rush from 1' water bar drops, but not pro level DH racing..

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
It doesn't matter how many of a particular model anyone has seen broken. Their frames, in general, have a habit of exploding. They then have a habit of leaving the customer holding the bag for their shoddy craftsmanship and being rude about it to boot. This particular frame may indeed not break, but if it does, owners may very well be left SOL.

Ask around, i'm sure their is more than one unhappy ex ellsworth owner on Rm alone. You can start with dogwelder.

Also, wtf is a sensa? and i think you mean rogue. Rouge is a color.

yeah, yeah, i hear about them exploding all the time, but have yet to see a picture of one(post 2004). and yes TE is a total arrogant a$$hat that has probably screwed more people than Wilt Chamberlin and sure his bogus lifetime warrenty was a joke, but "Ask around, i'm sure their is more than one unhappy ex ____________ owner on Rm alone. " every major company has had bikes break and CS issues.

yeah, rogue...thanks for that.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
look at the geo of the rogue. It is NOT a DH bike. The front end is quite long (as is the wheel base) and to get anything resembling current DH angles and bb height, you would need to run it in 6" 'mode' with a 2.25" stroke shock and an 8" fork. It is quite tall and steep when compared to other current DH frames.

I have owned an Ellsworth (an ID) and the finish quality was quite nice, however, it was quite underbuilt (for my type of riding), did not get the advertised amount of travel, and was way way tall. I think they make a great bike for a wealthy dad type guy who XC/trail rides and gets an adrenaline rush from 1' water bar drops, but not pro level DH racing..

first bit of fact so far. yes the geo is sh*t, but will probably be changed for team frames

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
well.... at least they have a good tire sponsor

edit:

Damn, i hope they get something custom built up. the current geo on that bike is awful

top tube 24.5
chainstay 17.4
wheelbase 47.2
BB height 14.75
head angle 67

i guess that is the type of "dh" bike a company builds when they no longer follow the sport very closely

for now... for the sake of giving ellsworth the benefit of the doubt, i hope this is a step to make a real bike from the ground up (borrowing nothing from previus designs).

and if it breaks every race the riders can do what mic hannah did when he rode for haro... just borrow and m3 for 2 races, and a cove for another when the frame fails

L

luelling

:disgust: My bro is a pro XC rider and broke a bunch of hardtail Sub 22 frames while riding for Ellsworth....a damn hardtail under XC use. Apparently they use the same size rear triangle no matter what and he is tall (around 6-1") and he likes a larger frame. It created stress at the top of the seat stays/seatube junction and cracked there. If a company can't keep a hardtail XC frame from breaking they automatically lose my business.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ellsworth DH is like the good old days when Shaums rode for them. I will always remember the movie where jumps and the crank snap off on the landing. Don't remember which movie that was.

Ellsworth must have pissed off a lot of people as a hell breaks loose everytime they are mentioned on RM.

L

luelling

Ellsworth DH is like the good old days when Shaums rode for them. I will always remember the movie where jumps and the crank snap off on the landing. Don't remember which movie that was.

Ellsworth must have pissed off a lot of people as a hell breaks loose everytime they are mentioned on RM.

It was the Qranc video Outter Extremeties...I actually own it!! It was the only good video Thor Wixom was involved in. I still watch that video occassionally when I'm riding my rollers.

L

luelling

I actually liked Ellsworth/Bullet Bros when I saw that video.....shame on me :disgust1: I figured if he can do it why not me...man I suck

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
i think hes thinking of headliners when shaums gaps a hip/triple thing on a DS course @ Seven Springs PA and snaps the crank off

L

luelling

i think hes thinking of headliners when shaums gaps a hip/triple thing on a DS course @ Seven Springs PA and snaps the crank off
wrong video bro.....there are many crashes on that triple (among them, Pistol Pete). The big crank break scene was in Outter Extremeties.....during his scene. He made some cash becuase that was during the best trick comp after the dual slalom comp....and he gapped a camel jump to a downhill that was out there....it came out to be around 40'. Impressive for '98. I own both videos

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Headliners that's the one - good movie. I wish I could have brought it with me when I moved here. Funny thing is that movie was part of my decision to move somewhere with mountians and lifts so I could do some real DH riding. Even more funny shorthly after I saw the movie I moved to Florida and shorthly there after I moved away from Florida again :rolleyes:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
ah, never seen outter extremeties. Palmer? snapping his off in transcontinental is pretty friggen gnarly too

I hope Ellsworth will pull through for these guys and proves us all wrong.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
You mean like how Intenses must be crap cos for years they couldn't seem to build them straight, or the foes that used to crack, or all the turners, heaps of demo's...................................................................:clapping:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You mean like how Intenses must be crap cos for years they couldn't seem to build them straight, or the foes that used to crack, or all the turners, heaps of demo's...................................................................:clapping:

And every one of the companies you mentioned had warranties they stood by and customer service that lived up to its name.

Ellsworth never has, and probably never will.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
People know that because ellsworths have been exploding and backing it up with crappy customer service for years.
reminds me of the couple seasons tyler klassen was riding them. he started on the joker - which had these amazingly butter-soft swingarms. he always kept a spare swingarm on hand for the inevitable folding. we once watched a brand new swingarm form cracks & start bending within one day of riding whistler (no hucking involved). the dares lasted a bit longer, though the headtube gusset would crack in short order (a piece of it actually fell off on one frame). as a fix, ellesworth fabricated this little aluminum widget that bolted over the gusset (i assumed to hide the cracking that was going on beneath). funnily enough, the new dares displayed at interbike had these retro-fitted widgets installed as well (rather than redesign the front triangle). anyways, i'm sure the new bikes are vastly improved...

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
wrong video bro.....there are many crashes on that triple (among them, Pistol Pete). The big crank break scene was in Outter Extremeties.....during his scene. He made some cash becuase that was during the best trick comp after the dual slalom comp....and he gapped a camel jump to a downhill that was out there....it came out to be around 40'. Impressive for '98. I own both videos
I was actually there, in person, at Seven Springs when Shaums did that jump. I've spoke with him many times since about that at local races, he remembers that jump quite well......cause he racked himself quite good on it! More importantly, I was standing in the corner of the crowd, leaning right up against the soft fence, that he jumped over from the face of the double to the hip transition. I always wondered what video that showed up in, but nobody could ever tell me for sure. Now that I know, I gotta track it down and remind myself of the old newbie to dh/high school years were like!!!!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I think I threw $5 into that hat to see Shaums jump. For it's day it was impressive...especially after you're 1/2 in the bag watching pro slalom in it's heyday.

-ska todd

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I was actually there, in person, at Seven Springs when Shaums did that jump. I've spoke with him many times since about that at local races, he remembers that jump quite well......cause he racked himself quite good on it! More importantly, I was standing in the corner of the crowd, leaning right up against the soft fence, that he jumped over from the face of the double to the hip transition. I always wondered what video that showed up in, but nobody could ever tell me for sure. Now that I know, I gotta track it down and remind myself of the old newbie to dh/high school years were like!!!!

I was standing in that inside corner too. That was a crazy jump. I have never seen the video.