Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by greenreese
Which way would 2 turn?
Does 1 or 3 turn it?

:dead: :dead: :dead:
who does number 2 work for? :eek: :confused: :D

ok, i see your attachment now. i think #3 is just an idler pulley for the chain leading to #1. thus #2 is turned by #1, and accordingly rotates opposite to #1.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
hmmm
I was thinking that the little one "3" would turn "2" and that "1" did nothing but tensionize.

We need a view of the other side!

-dAn

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hmmm
I was thinking that the little one "3" would turn "2" and that "1" did nothing but tensionize.

We need a view of the other side!

-dAn
#3 is off the axis of #2 tho, so even if it did turn #2 it would have to go through a gear, reversing the motion in any case.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Originally posted by Toshi
who does number 2 work for? :eek: :confused: :D

ok, i see your attachment now. i think #3 is just an idler pulley for the chain leading to #1. thus #2 is turned by #1, and accordingly rotates opposite to #1.
Yeah, I know what you are saying, I guess it just depends on if there is an axle between 2&3.

See the green circle, that is what I was thinking, plus 1 and 2 are on opposite sides of the bike frame.

-dAn

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Originally posted by Toshi
#3 is off the axis of #2 tho, so even if it did turn #2 it would have to go through a gear, reversing the motion in any case.

FACK, we are never going to figure this out!
You are correct there, but how do 1 and 2 drive each other? 1 is on this side, while 2 is on the far side.

-dAn

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
The teeth from 1 and 2 would have to be bent in to touch each other, but if they were, they would hit the frame.

-dAn

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Hmmm, I think there might be another ring on the other side of the bike where "1" is.
That would mean the bike goes forward.
But how come there are no more "3" style tensionizers anywhere else on the bike? That is the only chain with more than two sprockets.

-dAn

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hmmm, I think there might be another ring on the other side of the bike where "1" is.
That would mean the bike goes forward.
But how come there are no more "3" style tensionizers anywhere else on the bike? That is the only chain with more than two sprockets.

-dAn
i was making the assumption that there was a cog on the far side of #1. as for why there aren't idler pulleys elsewhere, who knows. that span of chain is the longest found on the bike, on the other hand, so it would warrant one if any did :D