Quantcast

The 2009 Dirty Bird DH Race!!!

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
If you raced collegiate you could race there this weekend!

We're gonna start brainstorming on fall stuff as soon as we get done with the dual conference collegiate race.
How does the course look for this weekend? Is it wet up there? What type of tires would you recommend? I'm coming up from U of Florida.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
How does the course look for this weekend? Is it wet up there? What type of tires would you recommend? I'm coming up from U of Florida.
The course looks great, but its gonna see some rain before you get here. Bring something with bite, be ready to ride off camber with lots of turns. Spikes are good.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Ask and ye shall receive...

Hawkaween race is ON officially, weekend of the 31st. That same weekend the hawk will play host to the 3rd annual hawksnest crossfest cyclocross race. This means a couple hundred bikers of another flavor, more spectators, more cowbell, more of everything!
my Halloween plans are offically set :weee:

LambMan

Chimp
Jul 13, 2009
ATL
Is the race being held on Sunday or Saturday? I'm hoping Saturday because I have a Sunday class with a test that day.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
The halloween race is going to be on saturday the 31st. We're working on getting a website, so hopefully we'll get something together soon.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Going for a one-day event because there is a boone bike cyclocross race on sunday at hawksnest. There will be practice for several hours, then racing in the afternoon. Similar format to the paris mountain race. I'll try to get a full schedule up ASAP.

bikergerm

Chimp
Sep 24, 2009
I thought Paris mountain was practice friday and race saturday. Is there going to ne friday practice for the hawks nest race?

Dudebrah

Chimp
May 18, 2009
I thought Paris mountain was practice friday and race saturday. Is there going to ne friday practice for the hawks nest race?
Really, highly, extremely doubtful.

Entry to this race is slated to be about $35, you'll get a half day of shuttled riding for that and a shot at winning some cash/prizes.

For numerous reasons this race will be on a smaller scale than the august dirty bird DH. Rest assured the track is looking the better than it ever has, and in this past week I've spent many hours working on the chairlifts to get them ready for inspection and have begun fabbing up hangers for bikes:eek:

Though it won't be ready to take you up for the hawkaween race, its looking like the lift-served park at the bird is taking shape.

We're going to shoot for an early spring event to show off what's in the works but this will be your last chance to preview the terrain and trailbuilding flow this season. Bikes, beer, gravity and fun -

unless we get a LOT of interested riders who want to pre-register and possibly up the entry fee because it will mean another day renting the u-haul & a bit more for insurance it isn't likely there'll be any official practice on friday.

Another option would be to have a sort of open day on friday, as long as everyone fills out their waivers and y'all shuttle yourselves we might be able to work that out. I'll have to check and make sure ski patrol are willing to help out that day.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Uh oh...looks like everybody needs to show up to show the mountain we're worth their time and money! This could be a huge step for southeast gravity riding. A few changes have been made to the track and it will be in tip top shape by that time. The last race left us with deep ruts and crazy exposed roots. The whole trail has settled and matured a lot since august. Expect to get loose rain or shine!

LambMan

Chimp
Jul 13, 2009
ATL
Another option would be to have a sort of open day on friday, as long as everyone fills out their waivers and y'all shuttle yourselves we might be able to work that out. I'll have to check and make sure ski patrol are willing to help out that day.[/QUOTE]

I'll be heading up on Friday from Atlanta with at least a few others. Could you email me a copy of a waiver or will one be available on Friday.(I PM'd email address) I had a great time at the last race and would like to be able to ride the course Friday since it's a good ways from Atlanta to Boone for one days riding. If the Friday self shuttling doesnt work out will we be able to shuttle Sugar? I wasnt sure when they shut down for ski season.

Dudebrah

Chimp
May 18, 2009
I had a great time at the last race and would like to be able to ride the course Friday since it's a good ways from Atlanta to Boone for one days riding. If the Friday self shuttling doesnt work out will we be able to shuttle Sugar?
I did some insurance calculations, and it shouldn't make a noticeable difference for us to have a practice day. For our sanity's sake we'll officially say it'll be self shuttled and we'll try to get people together on that friday to share rides up to the top to keep traffic under control.

If we get enough people interested, we could look at providing a shuttle.

Just a show of hands, how many people would throw an extra $5 or $10 in for say a half day of shuttled riding on friday? We could keep the race entry fee the same and just make friday's shuttle an extra option for those who want to ride friday as well.

Edit: Just to keep the cart from getting ahead of the horse, I still haven't heard from our first aid/ski patrollers and if they're not available that day then I'm afraid there'll be no practice on friday. I think things will work out, just want to be up front with everyone.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
FYI, if you decided to follow that format Liam, MAKE SURE the people who pay you to shuttle on Friday are REGISTERING for the event. Otherwise, two things occur.
1. Any accident they have won't fall under your insurance rider if they ONLY pay a practice fee.
2. Most riders who ride on Friday will magicly not show up on Saturday after banging out their desired # of runs, breaking their bikes, freeriders "who aren't racer boys" will ride and not pay entry fee, or if it rains Friday night they all flee.

It happened to us one time. We had a Friday afternoon practice session that we got over 40 riders paying 10.00 each. It rained that night and 5 of them registered for the race the next day.

Oh, and don't go giving anybody their money back for ANY reason once they get a # plate. Whether someone does 50 feet or 50 runs, your expenses stay the same.

Butch "McScrooge" Greene :think:

Dudebrah

Chimp
May 18, 2009
Oh, and don't go giving anybody their money back for ANY reason once they get a # plate. Whether someone does 50 feet or 50 runs, your expenses stay the same.
Some good points there, Butch. I had been planning on running it so that everyone would have to register and then make the friday practice an optional extra. Sounds like there are probably enough interested people to warrant having a truck on friday- tho I think if we get a truck there'll have to be no self-shuttling to cut down on traffic and the headache of seeing who has paid/waivered and who hasn't.

Big thing is we were expecting less interest in this one as we didn't have a lot of time for press, sponsors, etc. Plus there's the race in GA that same weekend, so we were thinking that a one-day format would be good. This race was also slated to be cheaper to reflect the one-day nature.

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind one bit if people wanted to come and ride friday but not race saturday. I've gone to snowshoe plenty of times when there were races going on and not raced, never felt like my lift ticket was any different than the ones bought by guys entering the race.

The biggest thing for me is that the $35 is simply not a big enough fee to cover all costs if we add another day of truck rental. Since 1 day and less expensive was the original intent, that should still be an option for folks that can't make it up friday but still want to race.

I've already had a couple of PMs asking for the waiver, anyone interested in setting up the friday thing PM me and we'll see what we can work out. I think an extra $10 sounds reasonable for the friday shuttle- if I get some more pre-registration we'll make it a done deal.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Thanks for staying on top of things while we're gone Liam! Hawkoween is gonna be off the hook. can't wait to shred it up with everybody.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Truth be told, I wouldn't mind one bit if people wanted to come and ride friday but not race saturday........

The biggest thing for me is that the $35 is simply not a big enough fee to cover all costs if we add another day of truck rental. Since 1 day and less expensive was the original intent, that should still be an option for folks that can't make it up friday but still want to race.

I've already had a couple of PMs asking for the waiver, anyone interested in setting up the friday thing PM me and we'll see what we can work out. I think an extra $10 sounds reasonable for the friday shuttle- if I get some more pre-registration we'll make it a done deal.
I think he was trying to say that if someone shows up on Friday they should be required to register and pay the race fee in addition to the $10 or ($x) for Friday.

Whether they actually race or not, well who cares...

bikergerm

Chimp
Sep 24, 2009
Is this race worth driving from Orlando? I really want to come up but it's a long ass drive for a day of riding. Is the track open Friday and Sunday?

Dudebrah

Chimp
May 18, 2009
Is this race worth driving from Orlando? I really want to come up but it's a long ass drive for a day of riding. Is the track open Friday and Sunday?
Yes and no. Track is open friday and saturday, there's a cyclocross race sunday so we'll keep traffic down on the DH track on sunday. PLenty of good riding to do in the area though...

Thanks for bearing with us everybody. We should have a website up shortly and I'll e-mail out the waiver to everyone planning on coming for the practice day friday. It'll be required race registration for everyone ($35) and an extra $10 for those who want to get in on the shuttle van friday practice day. The shuttle will be provided and will run from approx 10:30 -3:30 on friday. Saturday we plan to give another several hours of practice and have the racing begin around noon.

Corey, I'll e-mail you the forms and and a tentative schedule asap.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yes and no. Track is open friday and saturday, there's a cyclocross race sunday so we'll keep traffic down on the DH track on sunday. PLenty of good riding to do in the area though...

Thanks for bearing with us everybody. We should have a website up shortly and I'll e-mail out the waiver to everyone planning on coming for the practice day friday. It'll be required race registration for everyone ($35) and an extra $10 for those who want to get in on the shuttle van friday practice day. The shuttle will be provided and will run from approx 10:30 -3:30 on friday. Saturday we plan to give another several hours of practice and have the racing begin around noon.

Corey, I'll e-mail you the forms and and a tentative schedule asap.
Hey Man,
Thats awesome that you are planning on having the race around noon.
If that is the case, I will be there for sure. I have to be back that night for Halloween plans as I am sure other racers will too.
Thanks again for doing another race and putting this together!!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
As far as the track goes...

Its running better than ever right now. Having a mudfest at the first race really changed the track a lot and its hardened up a ton since then. We have since cut a nice bench before the rock garden to allow a better run in and reduce the bottlenecks we saw at the first race there. Many berms have been reworked as well. If the weather co-operates with us, the track will be unreal for the race. If it rains again, it won't be as bad as the first race because there is a lot less "fluffy stuff" to get churned up and turned into mud.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
if i make itll just be to shoot photos.....as much as i would like to race i dont own a bike so that is out of the question.