Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Don't think that with global tension over oil that being reduced to walking speed isn't entirely out of the question. Don't you think that if everyone went for a bit of a walk everyday rather than a bit of a drive we wouldn't be better off?

The uniform speed limit was signed into law by Nixon. Carter told people to turn down the thermostat and put on a sweater as well as put solar panels on the whitehouse which Reagan removed.

Your reaction to the proposal is no different than 90 percent of the well intentioned do nothings. Everyone wants to save the planet, reduce our consumption and get the burden of foreign oil off of our back, but everyone wants to do it with 350 hp or zero to 60 times under 5 seconds. What most see as an inconvenience, I see as a glimmer of hope. I see the possibility of my kids having just a bit more if I sacrifice the ability and so-called need to do 90 miles an hour.
I say go beyond speed limits and electronically limit cars to 60mph and trucks to 55mph.
I think that major lifestyle changes need to be made for future sustainability, and I agree that doing little things isn't likely to alter the trajectory of things significantly. I simply think that having speed-limited vehicles is idiotic. There are many valid reasons to exceed an arbitrary speed such as when overtaking, making room for a merging vehicle, avoiding being in the blind spot of another vehicle, etc.

If/when energy comes very pricey with peak oil and the like then switching to different forms of transport that may well be limited by their design to lower speeds, prototypes of which are in abundance in this thread, may be in order. Until propulsion systems (eg, efficient electrics with a sustainable power grid supplying the juice), aerodynamics (eg, Aptera-style), and traffic patterns are optimized I think arbitrarily restricting speed should be low on the list of priorities.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I think that major lifestyle changes need to be made for future sustainability, and I agree that doing little things isn't likely to alter the trajectory of things significantly.

That is the only statement of any real value in the whole post. I find it nice that you agree, but when does that idea become valid? If it's not us that make the major lifestyle changes then who? I cringe at the thought of the next 3 or 4 generations having to clean up after our spoiled rotten generation and having them look back on us like the overindulgent fools that we are.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
seems more hybrids are appearing before the Geneva car show, especially with Lotus...

Lotus has just formally introduced a new 400-plus horsepower sportscar concept. That news in and of itself would be enough to pique our interest, but the rest of the car's spec sheet makes the Evora 414E Hybrid an astonishingly intriguing concept vehicle. As you surely surmised by now, this two-seat sportster is a hybrid, specifically an extended-range electric vehicle that features a pair of rear-mounted electric motors and a 1.2-liter three-cylinder gas-powered engine. Why not fully electric? According to Lotus:
With regard to the total lifetime CO2 emissions of the vehicle, including the energy required to manufacture and run it, the range extender solution has a lower overall CO2 footprint than a fully electric car of comparable performance and operating range running with a larger battery.
That 47-horsepower gasoline engine never actually sends power directly to the Evora 414E Hybrid's wheels. Instead – as with other cars such as the 2011 Chevrolet Volt and the Fisker Karma – the mill is used to recharge the onboard 17 kilowatt-hour lithium polymer battery pack, which is centrally mounted down the middle of the car for optimal weight distribution. That battery pack can provide up to 35 miles of gasoline-free driving per full charge.

Because each rear wheel has a separate connection to its own electric motor, Lotus has programmed in torque vectoring for stability control of the vehicle. This means that a complex set of software algorithms can provide the same kind of benefits as rear-wheel steering and exaggerated toe-in without the expense or efficiency losses of a mechanical system. Each rear wheel puts down 204 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque.

Further, though the actual transmission has only one forward ratio, Lotus has programmed in seven artificial "gears" that the driver can row through via a set of column-mounted paddle shifters. Also included is the HALOsonic Internal and External Electronic Sound Synthesis technologies from Lotus and Harman International that pipes artificial sound to both the cabin and outside to pedestrians. Want more? There's plenty to be gleaned in the exhaustive press release that you'll find after the break. Sadly, just one lone copper-topped teaser image, which you can enlarge by clicking above.

0-60 mph/97 kph in under 4 seconds
Total hybrid range of over 300 miles/483 kilometres
Eco mode or Sports mode featuring realistic 7 speed paddle shift with energy recuperation
HALOsonic Internal and External Electronic Sound Synthesis
Torque vectoring for improved dynamic stability
Integrated glass roof and engine cover and interior concept from Lotus Design
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/24/geneva-preview-lotus-formally-introduces-evora-414e-hybrid/

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
According to Lotus:

With regard to the total lifetime CO2 emissions of the [Evora 414E Hybrid], including the energy required to manufacture and run it, the range extender solution has a lower overall CO2 footprint than a fully electric car of comparable performance and operating range running with a larger battery.
I'd like to see their analysis in all seriousness.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Lexus's new hybrid

More photos of the Lexus CT200h: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/25/officially-official-lexus-drops-the-curtain-on-ct-200h/

Interesting bits from the text include the use of the same 1.8 liter engine found in the Prius (not the 2.4 in the Camry Hybrid and Lexus HS250h) and double-wishbone suspension out back. They probably made that choice in order to have a flat load floor (a la Subaru and the current-gen Impreza rear suspension) rather than for handling reasons.

Cool interior. 8 inch display! That dashboard looks like an LCD screen to me, as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
whats wrong with a double wishbone in the rear? would you prefer a solid axle type?
No, I'm a fan of double-wishbone and multi-link setups. In fact, I'd like to see them used on the front once again, even though they've fallen out of favor across the board due to the superior packaging of the (technically inferior) McPherson strut. My comment reflected my assumption that Toyota/Lexus made the design choice in the rear of their wagon due to packaging issues, namely to allow for a flat load floor, rather than for any advantage in maintaining camber throughout wheel travel, for instance.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Looks quite tippy?
This answers the question of how the rider would see over the controls:

And this quote confirms my suspicion with regard to tippiness: "Stability for the vehicle would come from the electric drivetrain sitting low in the chassis" (source: http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2010-02/hondas-concept-trike-urban-commuter).

Then again, a commenter on NASIOC notes "I'm assuming from the rounded motorcycle tires that it is designed to lean into turns." I'm not sure if the designers really thought through their tire choice before hitting "render"...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There would have to be a hell of a lot of concentrated mass down low to offset that riding position!!! :eek:
He's even higher than I thought!
It seems to work for the goofy-ass Commuter Cars Tango, which has a bunch of lead-acid below the floor to offset its ridiculously narrow profile.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Asphalt and Rubber.com: MotoCzysz Electric D1g1tal Dr1ve: More Than Just a Glimpse into the 2010 E1pc Superbike

Asphalt and Rubber.com said:
However MotoCzysz isn’t a motorcycle manufacturer, and MotoCzysz arguably isn’t even a motorcycle company. They’re an intellectual property (IP) company that caters to the motorcycle industry, and this announcement isn’t about a race, a team, or a bike. It’s about the evolution complete redefinition of a motorcycle.

MotoCzysz’s suitcase is comprised of a new motor design, not yet seen in motorcycling, and not available off the shelf to assemblers and privateers. The suitcase is comprised of the only hot-swappable batteries seen to date on an electric motorcycle, and in their final form factor the battery packs are narrower than the already slender MotoCzysz C1. Lastly, the suitcase is comprised of a proprietary controller that brings all the technology into one unit, with 90+% system efficiency.

All of this is well and good, and will fill many articles soon to come. However, the real importance of MotoCzysz’s latest announcement is the fact that it shows the realization of modular motorcycle design. …

The eDD allows a race team to use the swingarm and front-end off of virtually any liter bike motorcycle. In essence the eDD is creating a platform that race teams can adapt and modify to their specifications, and it not only takes some of the guess work out of racing with electric motorcycles, but it also proves the concept that a central core, what I called “the nugget” two years ago and Czysz calls “the suitcase” today, can be created and used in a variety of situations. The MotoCzysz eDD is the next step in true motorcycle platforms. It carries over from the race track, it carries over from the street, and it carries on into virtually limitless possibilities in transportation
MotoCzysz Electric D1g1tal Dr1ve specifications said:
Motor:
Voltage 240V+
Power 75kW/100hp (continuous)
Weight 77lbs/35kg (complete with pump and plates/mounts)
Diameter 254mm/10″
Width 190mm/7.5″
Cooling liquid (oil)
Efficiency 93% (under continuous load at 2X 70c operating temp)
Controller:
Voltage 240V
Current 335A
Power 85kWh
Weight 17lbs/7.7kg
LxWxH 335×205x90mm/13.2×8.0×3.5″
Cooling Liquid (water)
Efficiency 95%
Battery Pack: individual
Voltage 29.6 (nominal)
Capacity 40Ah
Weight 17.5 lbs/8kg
Energy Storage 1.25kWh (1.2kWh nominal)
Discharge 10c peak

Price:
Complete Electrical D1g1tal Dr1ve System W/ 10kWh ESS $42,500 *
(motor, controller, suitcase chassis, 8 battery packs)
Complete Electrical D1g1tal Dr1ve System W/O ESS $24,500
(motor, controller, suitcase chassis)

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Cool! I will be curious to see the new documentary about their TT Zero entry last year as well. Definitely a company that's doing interesting stuff.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Autoblog: Porsche 918 Spyder plug-in hybrid concept

Porsche press release said:
The 918 Spyder concept combines high-tech racing features with electric-mobility to offer a fascinating range of qualities. For example, it is planned to provide an emission level of just 70 grams of CO2 per kilometer on fuel consumption of only three liters/100 kilometers (equal to approximately 78 mpg U.S.), which is truly outstanding, even for an ultra-compact city car. This car, however, is intended to offer the performance of a super sports car with acceleration from a standstill to 100 km/h in just under 3.2 seconds, top speed of 320 km/h (198 mph), and a lap time on the Nordschleife of N ̧rburgring in less than 7:30 minutes, faster than even the Porsche Carrera GT.

…

Innovative powertrain combines race-bred V8 engine with electric drive
This open two-seater is powered by a high-revving V8 developing more than 500 horsepower and a maximum engine speed of 9,200 rpm ñ as well as electric motors on the front and rear axle with overall mechanical output of 218 horsepower (160 kW).

…

Power is transmitted to the wheels by a seven-speed Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) transmission that feeds the power of the electric drive system to the rear axle. The front-wheel electric drive powers the wheels through a fixed transmission ratio.

The energy reservoir is a fluid-cooled lithium-ion battery positioned behind the passenger cell. The big advantage of a plug-in hybrid is that the battery can be charged on the regular electrical network. A further point is that the carís kinetic energy is converted into electrical energy fed into the battery when applying the brakes, thus providing additional energy for fast and dynamic acceleration.

Driver's choice of four distinct driving modes
A button on the steering wheel allows the driver to choose among four different running modes: The E-Drive mode is for running the car under electric power alone, with a range of up to 25 km or 16 miles. In the Hybrid mode, the 918 Spyder uses both the electric motors and the combustion engine as a function of driving conditions and requirements, offering a range from particularly fuel-efficient all the way to extra-powerful.

The Sport Hybrid mode uses both drive systems, but with the focus on performance. Most of the drive power goes to the rear wheels, with Torque Vectoring serving to additionally improve the carís driving dynamics.

In the Race Hybrid mode the drive systems are focused on pure performance with the highest standard of driving dynamics on the track, running at the limit to their power and dynamic output. With the battery sufficiently charged, a push-to-pass button feeds in additional electrical power (E-Boost), when overtaking or for even better performance.

With the hybrid drive system offering this wide range of individual modes and applications, the 918 Spyder is able either to achieve lap times comparable to those of a thoroughbred racing car, or the extremely low emissions and high fuel economy figures of a plug-in hybrid.
Hot. The future of the automotive world will be different yet still very exciting, I think.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Autoblog: Audi A1 e-tron extended-range EV

3/2/10 updated with actual e-tron pics to replace generic A1 pics:

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/geneva-2010-audi-a1-e-tron/

Audi press release said:
Audi A1 e-tron
Audi will be expanding its "e-tron" model family step by step: the A1 e-tron design study that the company is exhibiting at the Geneva Motor Show is an innovative Mega City Vehicle (MCV). Like the sports cars in the same family, it is electrically propelled and has a range of more than 50 kilometers (31 miles) in city traffic. With a peak power output of 75 kW (102 hp), the A1 e-tron is also fun to drive.

When the battery's energy supply is exhausted, it is recharged by an exceptionally compact "range extender" consisting of a single-rotor Wankel engine and an electrical generator with a charge rating of up to 15 kW.

This device gives the A1 e-tron an additional range of 200 kilometers (124 miles). According to the draft standard for determining the fuel consumption of range-extender vehicles, the mean fuel consumption is 1.9 liters per 100 kilometers (123.8 US mpg), equivalent to CO2 emissions of only 45 g/km (72.42 g/mile).
Like the Autoblog post-writer (not quoted here) I'm a bit confused as to how a 15 kW range-extender can sustain a 75 kW peak output electric motor. My guess is that Audi is counting on some level of charge depletion while also assuming that the rolling 10 minute average power usage (10 as an arbitrary figure) is 15 kW due to fluctuating demand. Audi's choice of a Wankel rotary for the range extender itself is also curious.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Autoblog: Audi A1 e-tron extended-range EV

Like the Autoblog post-writer (not quoted here) I'm a bit confused as to how a 15 kW range-extender can sustain a 75 kW peak output electric motor. My guess is that Audi is counting on some level of charge depletion while also assuming that the rolling 10 minute average power usage (10 as an arbitrary figure) is 15 kW due to fluctuating demand. Audi's choice of a Wankel rotary for the range extender itself is also curious.
As long as the battery could still act as an energy storage device the system theoretically pump out peak power. 15Kw is probably closer to the average power consumption of a car. Go downhill or stop at a light and that 15KW goes into the battery, hit the gas and the gen + battery should be able to output significantly more than 15KW. Performance would totally depend on the duty cycle. Probably wouldn't be a problems unless the driver was driving like a lunatic or the generator has to kick in just as you try driving up Pikes Peak.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ferrari 599 HY-KERS

Ferrari has worked diligently to optimize the benefits of the system to the 599's performance. The entire system weighs a modest 40 kilograms, partially offset by the obviation of the starter motor and conventional battery. Integrated into the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and mounted below the car's center of gravity, the system returns over 100 horsepower, supplementing the V12 engine under hard acceleration and it can even operate under full electric power when puttering around town. Of course, a Ferrari never putters around anything, save for when it takes its owner for a round of golf at the local country club.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/02/ferrari-599-hy-kers-geneva-motor-show-2010/

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ABG: Quick Spin: Driving an Amp Sky shows there's real potential here

The Sky's 37 kWh lithium-ion battery pack, with cells made in China and which is assembled by Amp in Ohio, is warrantied for three years/36,000 miles. Almost everything else in the car is American-made. Heck, most of the parts are pure GM The motors and the air conditioner come from the Chevy Tahoe hybrid, for example, and Amp doesn't touch or weld onto the vehicle's frame in any way. Amp also leaves the airbags and the hydraulic brakes alone (but does supplement them with the aforementioned aggressive regenerative brakes). This way, Amp can tell customers that they are really buying GM brakes, GM airbags, GM frame, etc., just with an all-electric powertrain. With the recent disruption in the auto industry, even Tier 1 suppliers were willing to cut deals with AMP for the parts it needed to convert the vehicles. Since the car is still mostly a GM product, finding replacment parts isn't difficult. As one Amp representative told us, using GM's designs and supply chain "feels right. That's the way to start a car company without the billions."

…

According to Amp, the converted Sky will have a range of around 150 miles per charge (based on usage) and go from 0-60 miles per hour in under 8 seconds. The Amp'd Sky has a top speed of 90 mph. A full recharge from a 220-volt outlet takes around three and a half hours, while a 110 outlet will need around 14 hours. Amp says that recharging after a typical driving day (40 miles), recharging should take about 90 minutes from a 220-volt outlet.

Those numbers are good enough for around 300 people to place orders thus far, Amp told us, all in the greater Cincinnati area. The company is keeping sales close for now so it can easily service the vehicles if they need fixing. Amp plans to convert 1,000 vehicles this year, so availability will expand soon. Each conversion costs $25,000 on top of the donor vehicle. Saturn, of course, does not make the Sky anymore, but finding one for under $25,000 shouldn't be too difficult, for a total cost of under $50,000 for an all-electric, two-seat convertible.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Zero adds color, cooling, and more power to their lineup. The S street-legal version now can hit 67 mph per ABG's parroting of Zero's press release, there's a DS dual-sportish version, and the MX/X get new colors if nothing else.

Additionally, Corbin saddles are available! This is actually a big deal as their stock saddles were less than pleasing when I swung a leg over the S two months ago. Just as I was then I'm still struck by how much they look like big dh bikes…

Zero Motorcycles DS:

Zero Motorcycles S:

Zero Motorcycles MX:

Zero Motorcycles X:

Press release and more photos here: http://green.autoblog.com/2010/03/03/zero-motorcycles-adds-color-and-power-to-2010-line-up/

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I like the Zero bikes a lot. I'm going to be moving in the next few months and my commute is going to increase to ~25-30 miles each way. With a 100 mile range, I'd buy a Zero S in a heartbeat. Maybe in a year or two.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i wonder how large a "microturbine" is. i didnt think turbines were all that efficient even if its biodiesel
The concept for the high performance hybrid electric microturbine vehicle was developed by Electronic Arts Chief Creative Director Richard Hilleman, creator of popular video games, with support from Capstone Turbine, the world's leading clean technology manufacturer of microturbine energy systems.
interesting.

its basically a kit car since it uses a FFR GTM body

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

2010 Honda CB Twister. I think it's been mentioned once before in this thread but I can't find the reference. The name might have changed.

$1050 USD-equivalent, Indian-market. 108cc, 9 hp, 4-speed manual, 60 mph top speed, 0-30 in ~7 sec. 238 lb weight! 135 city/141 hwy mpg observed by the testers, possibly in Imperial gallons since it's India but impressive nonetheless.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/2010-honda-cb-twister-review-89314.html

Honda is clearly stamping its authority on our two-wheeler market. The CB Twister lends a new dimension to commuter bikes in India. Such handsome style has been unheard of in this class till now, being good enough to have even its 150cc neighbours turning a deep shade of green. Overall quality is also top notch on the Twister.

Honda’s smooth new engine responds and feels surprisingly better than its rivals. The latest Honda is comfortable too, enjoying a well engineered chassis that provides nimble and light handling. The sum of which means the Autocar India crystal ball predicts this competitively priced motorcycle is one big winner on all fronts.
I would totally rock one around town--light, cheap, and probably entertaining, like a legal, full-sized minibike!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Zero's look pretty cool in pictures, but after seeing them in person and sitting on them at Leguna Seca last year, I was not that impressed. I give them props for effort and I think they are on the right track. I think the Brammo is a much better street bike.

<edit> I'm with you on the Twister, Toshi. I would love something like that for around here, too.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
butanol racers coming

The American Le Mans Series (ALMS) and its technical operations affiliate, International Motorsports Association (IMSA), has formally approved a butanol blend as the fifth energy source for race cars in the series. ALMS entrants are already running on E10 (10 percent ethanol), cellulosic E85, diesel and hybrid-electric power. The first team expected to use butanol on a full-time basis will be Dyson Racing with its Mazda-powered Lola prototypes. Dyson first used butanol on an experimental basis in one of its cars during the Petit Le Mans and Laguna Seca races at the end of the 2009 season.

For now, the approved fuel is a blend of 20 percent biobutanol and 80 percent ethanol (iBE20) and only prototypes will be allowed to use it. For the first two races at Sebring and Long Beach, cars running iBE20 will have to carry an extra 30 kilograms of ballast until the performance impact is assessed. From the Laguna Seca race in May, the extra weight will be removed.

The butanol fuel is being supplied by Dyson's primary sponsor, British Petroleum. Butanol has a number of advantages over ethanol as a fuel, starting with energy density. Gasoline has 32 megajoules per liter while butanol has 29.2 MJ / L and ethanol has only 19.6 MJ / L. Butanol also has a much lower heat of vaporization than ethanol, allowing for easier cold starts. Because its characteristics are closer to gasoline, it can be used without resorting to stainless steel fuel lines and higher flow injectors. However, its high melting point requires it to be blended with gasoline to prevent gelling in cold weather.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/15/american-le-mans-series-approves-butanol-dyson-mazda-to-go-firs/

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thank god for that $7500 tax credit for the Leaf. $38k for a electric car would be crazy
Interest in, and "pre-orders" for, the Nissan Leaf remains high, but a report from the Japanese newspaper the Mainichi Shimbun might put a damper on things. Apparently, the price for the all-electric car in Japan will be somewhere between 3.5 million and 4 million yen, which is about $38,667 to $44,191 U.S. at today's exchange rates. Granted, even if these prices are accurate, they certainly don't automatically equal the MSRP for the U.S. market, but they are higher than what we've been expecting – i.e., under $30,000 after the $7,500 federal tax credit. We went and looked at the prices for a couple of other cars in Japan, to see how the Leaf's 3.5 million compares. The Toyota Prius runs between 2.0 and 3.27 million yen ($22k–36k USD). The Honda Insight? From 1.89 to 2.2 million ($21k-24.4k USD).

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
According to Forbes' Jerry Flint, "the [Nissan] Leaf is more likely to be a sales failure than a sales success." Why is Flint so willing to 'stick his neck out,' as he puts it? There's an entire column of information that you can find by clicking here, but we'll list a few of the bullet points:
It doesn't have the range of a gasoline-powered car
It doesn't have the top speed of a gasoline-powered car
It costs more than a gasoline-powered car
It takes "forever" to refuel
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/02/22/forbes-nissan-leaf-likely-to-be-a-flop/

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
braaap

It appeared as if the world would have to wait for the Tokyo Motorcycle Show and the official March 26th release date to get its eyes on fully exposed photos.

If you were holding your breath for the unveiling, you can thank German mag Motorrad for breaking the photos early. As we can see now, the supermoto and enduro versions differ quite extensively, despite sharing a frame and power-train. The unique single crown fork protruding from a BMX-like handlebar and headtube combination holding a single headlight certainly set the slick-tired version apart from its knobby clad counterpart. We can't help but notice the rather dainty tubular steel frame on each model, despite plastic covers that give the illusion of a much beefier unit.

How much will it cost for your very own stick of 30-horsepower, 200-pound, orange-blooded electric dynamite? A proposed price of &#8364;10,000, which at current exchange rates is just over $13,500, seems in no way competitive amongst stiff competition from Zero and others already in the market

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Counterevidence: http://blogs.pluginamerica.org/outreach/2010/03/tens-of-millions-of-eager-ev-buyers.html

In a random, nationwide survey of 1,752 U.S. adults, 26% said they're likely to consider buying a plug-in electric car the next time they're buying a new vehicle, according to ConsumerReports.org. That's tremendously impressive, considering that only one highway-capable electric vehicle (EV) is on the market today, the pricey Tesla Roadster.

Seven percent of respondents said they were "very likely" to consider buying a plug-in electric car.