stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
taking a FIA rally car to snowbird

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My car from 2019 doesn’t even have that many kms! Guess I’d have to drive it more than sometimes on weekends.
Your 2019 doesn't have 35000km or 99999km? If the first one, want to sell it? :brows:

Seems like an expensive thing to have if you're not really using it. Especially you're fancy heads up display thing. Mazda? :brows:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Your 2019 doesn't have 35000km or 99999km? If the first one, want to sell it? :brows:

Seems like an expensive thing to have if you're not really using it. Especially you're fancy heads up display thing. Mazda? :brows:
just hit 30km.The car really wasn’t primarily used by me and even so, not that much. Maybe I will sell it at some point. I primarily get around town by bike, foot and metro when possible. And taxi from time to time. That's the funny thing. Don’t really use it much, when I do, it’s really convenient/necessary. When you leave the city center, everything is car centric. Want to ride some cool trails? Car. Yeah, it’s a mazda 3 sedan.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
just hit 30km.The car really wasn’t primarily used by me and even so, not that much. Maybe I will sell it at some point. I primarily get around town by bike, foot and metro when possible. And taxi from time to time. That's the funny thing. Don’t really use it much, when I do, it’s really convenient/necessary. When you leave the city center, everything is car centric. Want to ride some cool trails? Car. Yeah, it’s a mazda 3 sedan.
That's my sister in New York. The only reason they have a car is because they got one parking space with their $1.2M place in Manhattan.

I live in the country, yet still a suburb. It's not safe anywhere on a bike in town.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Not dense enough around you for Zipcar?
Not sure how it works in the US, but 'round here, it can be kind of expensive if you're trying to leave town. it can be cheaper to rent a car for the day. You pay for membership, and then depending on the plan you have, per hour and per km driven. we've looked into it as an option for a second vehicle, but it's just not worth it since we'd need it mostly for ski practice, which is usually a 3-hour and about 32km round trip. you wind up paying for it to sit there for 2 hours.

I think it makes most sense for people who can get around by bus, bike or foot, but need a vehicle every once in a while for a Costco or Ikea run...

I'd argue that for @dump, given where he lives, it's actually too dense for "Communauto". The metro works well where he is, and traffic is absolutely effin brutal. (can you tell I'm jealous!)

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Not sure how it works in the US, but 'round here, it can be kind of expensive if you're trying to leave town. it can be cheaper to rent a car for the day. You pay for membership, and then depending on the plan you have, per hour and per km driven. we've looked into it as an option for a second vehicle, but it's just not worth it since we'd need it mostly for ski practice, which is usually a 3-hour and about 32km round trip. you wind up paying for it to sit there for 2 hours.

I think it makes most sense for people who can get around by bus, bike or foot, but need a vehicle every once in a while for a Costco or Ikea run...

I'd argue that for @dump, given where he lives, it's actually too dense for "Communauto". The metro works well where he is, and traffic is absolutely effin brutal. (can you tell I'm jealous!)
Yeah @slyfink pretty much nailed it. Again, I wasn’t the primary user. My needs are largely done by foot and bike right now since it’s just the two of us.

I don’t know if I agree with the idea that since I’m not driving it every day, that I should look for other options. For now it would be more of a hassle to do that than just use the car once a week or whatever. Were the rental situation or communeauto more convenient, I’d consider it. It feels like saying, “you don’t use that nice bike you have there very much… maybe sell it and use bixi” :) I think some people might very well do that.

And yes, the traffic on the expressways around the city almost makes you not want to even venture out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don’t know if I agree with the idea that since I’m not driving it every day, that I should look for other options. For now it would be more of a hassle to do that than just use the car once a week or whatever. Were the rental situation or communeauto more convenient, I’d consider it. It feels like saying, “you don’t use that nice bike you have there very much… maybe sell it and use bixi” :) I think some people might very well do that.
but you get to sell and then not insure said little-used car. that's the big draw.