Quantcast

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I found an EV route planning site and assuming a very expensive Tesla it would add about 20% travel time and add 7 stops to a winter road trip to someplace with decent weather. Would also find myself pushing 10% battery capacity through a lot of very cold empty places. What I could normally do in one very long day would take two full days effectively requiring using 2 additional vacation days for a week long trip.

Use a more affordable car like a Leaf or a Bolt and said trip is pretty much a solid no.
Just wait until our NZ friend tells you how wrong and backwards minded you are. Teslas can do everything, even go to space, so STFU. ;)

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I found an EV route planning site and assuming a very expensive Tesla it would add about 20% travel time and add 7 stops to a winter road trip to someplace with decent weather. Would also find myself pushing 10% battery capacity through a lot of very cold empty places. What I could normally do in one very long day would take two full days effectively requiring using 2 additional vacation days for a week long trip. Also alternative routes that are often required to avoid winter mountain weather are non options, because 200 miles between towns with populations of less than 100 people.

Use a more affordable car like a Leaf or a Bolt and said trip is pretty much a solid no.
There's always the option of buying the car that meets 95% of your daily needs, and rent for the other times?
My definition of a road trip seems to differ. More like going out west putting in 10 hours of drive time to get to the good stuff, and then be in remote places for days.
10 hours... So, Sault Ste Marie?! Remote, yes, but good riding is debatable...

A couple of my buddies drove from Gatineau to Canmore in a Model S and rode every day along the way. They stopped to refuel a couple of times a day, averaging 30-40 minutes per stop, and refueled while they rode and overnight. They took a week to do it.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yeah, now show me this with two 29er DH Bikes of the long and slack variety plus all the shit you need for a road trip. ;)
The smaller X has 2m x 1.08m space with the seats down. This shit would fit easily. Seriously dude. Are you worried you won’t be able to fit in your second coffee machine or something?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The smaller X has 2m x 1.08m space with the seats down. This shit would fit easily. Seriously dude. Are you worried you won’t be able to fit in your second coffee machine or something?
After having experienced the luxury of cars that have long and tall loading spaces (w/o the tapering down roof towards the rear), e.g. Golf, Volvo wagon, VW Caddy, I think the loading capacity of most SUV style cars is a joke. Footprint vs. loading capacity is so bad in those.

FWIW: I will also not own anything Tesla until they finally get off their high horse and respect the right to repair. When being environmental friendly is one of your goals, but then you only offer complete replacements of whole unit instead of component repairs, then it is pretty obvious that this is just a marketing plot to sell shit to green hipsters so that they can consume w/o bad conscious.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There's always the option of buying the car that meets 95% of your daily needs, and rent for the other times?

A couple of my buddies drove from Gatineau to Canmore in a Model S and rode every day along the way. They stopped to refuel a couple of times a day, averaging 30-40 minutes per stop, and refueled while they rode and overnight. They took a week to do it.
Well like I kind of said before, ugly minvan actually meets 100% of objective daily needs. This was more of a mental exercise as I am not even thinking about dipping my toes into the car market while things are this crazy. Although a little too small to camp inside, a RAV4 Prime kind of hits all the buttons. But those are going for over $50K around here right now. Think about that, $50K for a RAV4. Perhaps overly optimistic but I think the car market will return to sanity within the year.

I can rent something when I need to haul large items locally, but I am not renting something for winter trips across the west. You can't rent shit with proper tires and I shall not even consider approaching let alone crossing the cascades in the winter without proper rubber.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
After having experienced the luxury of cars that have long and tall loading spaces (w/o the tapering down roof towards the rear), e.g. Golf, Volvo wagon, VW Caddy, I think the loading capacity of most SUV style cars is a joke. Footprint vs. loading capacity is so bad in those.

FWIW: I will also not own anything Tesla until they finally get off their high horse and respect the right to repair. When being environmental friendly is one of your goals, but then you only offer complete replacements of whole unit instead of component repairs, then it is pretty obvious that this is just a marketing plot to sell shit to green hipsters so that they can consume w/o bad conscious.
Do you want to solder your own boards? Tesla use an inherently modular design approach to everything. For safety’s sake it is not unreasonable to supply a replacement module [thing] rather than let Fatfingers McDucttape have at with some chewing gum and a ziptie that results in crash. You often accuse me of being an absolutist but your entrenched biases are also quite strong.

Honestly I could take or leave Tesla or any car manufacturer, what pisses me off is the attitude that prevails that despite us being in the midst of a actual, existential climate crisis, (maybe people don’t actually get this?) people won’t take up already pretty amazing parts of the solutions because they aren’t absolutely ‘perfect for me’.

Like ‘My state was on fire for all of the summer and in midwinter but I won’t do anything about it because part of the solution only comes in a red I don’t really care for, or it might take me 20 seconds longer to load my bikes into’.

Or: ‘I won’t get an EV because there are no EV trucks.’ (EV truvks become available) ‘That one doesn’t look like I wanted it to’.

Or: ‘I can’t possibly help save the world because one in a hundred trips I take might take a bit longer and might slightly impact on my vacation time’.

Seriously.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

we usually push to Battlecreek, MI on the first day. Denver at the end of the third day.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Well like I kind of said before, ugly minvan actually meets 100% of objective daily needs. This was more of a mental exercise as I am not even thinking about dipping my toes into the car market while things are this crazy. Although a little too small to camp inside, a RAV4 Prime kind of hits all the buttons. But those are going for over $50K around here right now. Think about that, $50K for a RAV4. Perhaps overly optimistic but I think the car market will return to sanity within the year.

I can rent something when I need to haul large items locally, but I am not renting something for winter trips across the west. You can't rent shit with proper tires and I shall not even consider approaching let alone crossing the cascades in the winter without proper rubber.
I realize this is an academic exercise, but its worth exploring imo.

Fwiw, my mom, who just moved back to Canada, needed a car when she landed. To buy some time while she shopped, she rented a car on Turo [sp?]. She was able to find a Subaru with Blizzaks.

Maybe person to person rentals is another model worth exploring/promoting? Could help amortize costs for people who will struggle when the cost of fuel goes up, and meet the 5% needs of others? Biggest hurdle will be overcoming the "my vehicle is my kingdom/status" issue...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Do you want to solder your own boards? Tesla use an inherently modular design approach to everything. For safety’s sake it is not unreasonable to supply a replacement module [thing] rather than let Fatfingers McDucttape have at with some chewing gum and a ziptie that results in crash. You often accuse me of being an absolutist but your entrenched biases are also quite strong.
No, I do not want to solder my own boards. But when I inquired with my local, independent workshop that currently has NO problem sourcing any part OE or aftermarket for any of the brands available in the country, even if they are 20+ years old, they said that the only things they can get for Teslas are tires and windshield wipers. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. I seriously do not know how Tesla gets around EU laws that should stop this BS. The right to repair is a fundamental piece of the puzzle for more sustainability. Repair and recycle instead of throwing away and buying new is environmental friendly and forces manufacturers to make products that last.
Another aspect is that I pretty much want to support my local economy, so this is why I take my business to the small, 2 person shop here and not the big dealership.

I hate to break the news to you, ICE cars are also quite dangerous. Still, everybody and their dog is able to repair them. EVs are less complicated, have less moving parts, nearly no dangerous liquids, low pressure cooling systems and the only remotely dangerous thing is the battery. So I call BS on the arguments Tesla makes here. If EVs are so much more dangerous than ICE cars, why are they even allowed on the street?
Tesla wants a monopoly on working on their product, but if I am paying full price for it then I also want full ownership. If they are so confident in their product and want full control over it, why don't they exclusively offer a lease model for their cars. You never own them, all risk of the car breaking is on them. Right, that would hurt the business model.

Honestly I could take or leave Tesla or any car manufacturer, what pisses me off is the attitude that prevails that despite us being in the midst of a actual, existential climate crisis, (maybe people don’t actually get this?) people won’t take up already pretty amazing parts of the solutions because they aren’t absolutely ‘perfect for me’.
You are right, but there are more things that you can do for the climate than just buying a new car. You cannot exclusively judge people on the cars they drive. Maybe they drive a Tesla, but also fly 10x a year, have 4 kids and eat tons of beef?
Further, if people splash out that amount of cash for a car, they do want a product that fits their needs. I mean, why do I not buy a sports car, a truck, a semi, a school bus? Because they do not fit my needs, plain and simple.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Like ‘My state was on fire for all of the summer and in midwinter but I won’t do anything about it because part of the solution only comes in a red I don’t really care for, or it might take me 20 seconds longer to load my bikes into’.

Or: ‘I won’t get an EV because there are no EV trucks.’ (EV truvks become available) ‘That one doesn’t look like I wanted it to’.

Or: ‘I can’t possibly help save the world because one in a hundred trips I take might take a bit longer and might slightly impact on my vacation time’.

Seriously.

you forgot "I can't stop making an over abundance of self replicating machines that are pre-programmed to be violent, short sighted and consume as many resources as possible because I can resist the urge to relieve my blood engorged organs"

1641432025133.png

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I think it comes down to the futility of it all.

I recognize that many aspects of my livelihood and lifestyle are contributors to our imminent climate and resource crises. I also understand that even by eliminating my consumption of resources and production of pollution by even 100%, I alone will have no impact on the pending crises. In order for individual changes to have any net effect on the problem, everyone has to make significant changes - significant sacrifices, in reality.

Every average working schlep suburbanite (blue, white or no collar - doesn't matter) needs to make sacrifices.
Every rich asshole needs to make sacrifices.
Every so-called corporate citizen needs to make sacrifices.

The problem is that unless EVERYONE commits to those sacrifices, it ain't gonna work.

So, yeah, I'll say the silent part out loud, "Why the fuck should I give up my livelihood and my lifestyle for a futile effort?" It pains me that I feel that way, but when I take stock of the situation, I see no reason to think that my assessment is wrong.

ETA: What were we talking about again?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You are right, but there are more things that you can do for the climate than just buying a new car.
But this is the car thread right? Where we talk about cars?

I recognize that many aspects of my livelihood and lifestyle are contributors to our imminent climate and resource crises. I also understand that even by eliminating my consumption of resources and production of pollution by even 100%, I alone will have no impact on the pending crises. In order for individual changes to have any net effect on the problem, everyone has to make significant changes - significant sacrifices, in reality.

Every average working schlep suburbanite (blue, white or no collar - doesn't matter) needs to make sacrifices.

The problem is that unless EVERYONE commits to those sacrifices, it ain't gonna work.

So, yeah, I'll say the silent part out loud, "Why the fuck should I give up my livelihood and my lifestyle for a futile effort?" It pains me that I feel that way, but when I take stock of the situation, I see no reason to think that my assessment is wrong.

You waiting for Thanos or something?! It's gotta start somewhere. Why not with us?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

I just wanna say yes this is the car thread. But ICE cars are really truly a huge issue now for our collective way of life. In the US transport is your largest CO2 contribution. IMO you can’t really talk about cars in 2022 without acknowledging that and the change we have to make. As a bunch of generally richer, outdoors people surely we should be the most motivated and able to make these changes?

I don’t think it’s hopeless, but it is — no shit — really, really bad. We will soon need to be spending taxpayer dollars on sucking CO2 from the atmosphere at any cost if we want to not be fucked. It’s a question of how much it’s gonna cost and how much more we collectively shit where we eat before we wise up. We’re on a supertanker trying to turn around, and then power back upstream before some massive, now not-so-far-off waterfall. The quicker we start and the more energy we put in the lower the overall effort will be required.

You are right ideally everyone has to decarbonise. I doubt this will ever happen 100% but we have to start toturn the ever-rising graph around. It is still increasing and accelerating overall.

So IMO a useful thing for an individual is just to make a good choice each time you have one. This is mostly about buying stuff and choosing services. Whatever you but next, make the best choice you can. Choose the local organic produce. Choose organic meat and red meats less often. When your gas boiler breaks replace it with an electric heat pump. Next time you buy a car, choose an EV or at least a hybrid.

Everyone does make a tiny difference. Same as voting. Your choices slowly influence others and markets. You can see this is already happening. EV sales are accelerating every year. More and more new power is built as renewable and it gets ever cheaper. It is happening, we all need to do our bit to push the market to make it into a torrent.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I just wanna say yes this is the car thread. But ICE cars are really truly a huge issue now for our collective way of life. In the US transport is your largest CO2 contribution. IMO you can’t really talk about cars in 2022 without acknowledging that and the change we have to make. As a bunch of generally richer, outdoors people surely we should be the most motivated and able to make these changes?

I don’t think it’s hopeless, but it is — no shit — really, really bad. We will soon need to be spending taxpayer dollars on sucking CO2 from the atmosphere at any cost if we want to not be fucked. It’s a question of how much it’s gonna cost and how much more we collectively shit where we eat before we wise up. We’re on a supertanker trying to turn around, and then power back upstream before some massive, now not-so-far-off waterfall. The quicker we start and the more energy we put in the lower the overall effort will be required.

You are right ideally everyone has to decarbonise. I doubt this will ever happen 100% but we have to start toturn the ever-rising graph around. It is still increasing and accelerating overall.

So IMO a useful thing for an individual is just to make a good choice each time you have one. This is mostly about buying stuff and choosing services. Whatever you but next, make the best choice you can. Choose the local organic produce. Choose organic meat and red meats less often. When your gas boiler breaks replace it with an electric heat pump. Next time you buy a car, choose an EV or at least a hybrid.

Everyone does make a tiny difference. Same as voting. Your choices slowly influence others and markets. You can see this is already happening. EV sales are accelerating every year. More and more new power is built as renewable and it gets ever cheaper. It is happening, we all need to do our bit to push the market to make it into a torrent.
I was honestly expecting a bit more of heated response from you. Thanks.

I actually do consciously already do many of those things as well as others. As much as possible we live our lives and run our business by the words "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle." We live pretty modestly - mostly because all of our monery goes back into our small business.

My biggest issue is that for every kg of CO2 that I don't produce or every kW of energy that I don't consume, there is an uber-rich hyper-consumer that will gobble up that kW and shit out CO2. For example, I used about 2500 gallons of gasoline, 250 lbs of propane and 50 gallons of diesel this year to run the vineyard/winery and to live my life. That is equivalent to one super yacht idling in port for 5 hours.

We need to start by focusing -no, how about going after and condemning hyper-consumers. Decommission the super yachts. Ground the private jets. You want to go into space? Go work for fucking NASA. Hold executives and shareholders personally responsible for the pollution they create and the energy they waste. Focusing on small groups that consume extremely large amounts to no real end seems like the fastest way to turn the tanker around.

Since this is the car thread, as soon as the vehicle that I *need* is available as a commercial and serviceable EV, I will invest in one. I do this not, because I think it will turn the tide, but because I actually think it is the right thing to do.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
My biggest issue is that for every kg of CO2 that I don't produce or every kW of energy that I don't consume, there is an uber-rich hyper-consumer that will gobble up that kW and shit out CO2
That’s not true. It’s better than that. For every kW, every Kg of CO2 you don’t use, it is simply not used. It is simply not in the atmosphere. This is #winning.
We need to start by focusing -no, how about going after and condemning hyper-consumers. Decommission the super yachts. Ground the private jets. You want to go into space? Go work for fucking NASA. Hold executives and shareholders personally responsible for the pollution they create and the energy they waste. Focusing on small groups that consume extremely large amounts to no real end seems like the fastest way to turn the tanker around.
Fuck yes to all this (although I absolutely support ‘making humanity a multi-planetary species’ ASAP). Support candidates that say this stuff. Write to your representatives to demand they take this position. Talk about this idea to your friends. Spread the meme. We truely need ‘all of the above’ when it comes to solving this.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I promise I will shut up soon.

But here is, to me, a mind-boggling fact. Something to shout about as a highly effective change we could pressure to make now.

In nearly every country — still, in 2022, when in Winter it’s raining in Greenland and burning in Colorado — our Governments still subsidise the fossil fuel industry in multiple ways, including by allowing them to knowingly pollute and avoid any cost for doing so.

In the US alone, in 2019 your own IMF said you subsidised big oil to the tune of $649,000,000,000.

Surely this must stop yesterday.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I totally agree with you on that! My point is, we should stop pointing fingers at each other for one single thing about our environmental footprint. People are more willing to reduce and give up some things than others, so let us embrace this. One person gives up flying, the other turns vegetarian, one buys an EV.

I think what we need to influence the government on is that they also go with the times and change their policies. Dumping millions on yet-to-be-proven CO2 sequestration methods is not going to make an impact. Use that money to give the less well off part of the population the possibility to affort e.g. environmental friendly transportation, housing, etc. That would make a social and climate impact and also gets them on board with the green transition because it improves their lives.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Will it beat the cybertruck?
jesus christ, I didn't even plan that:

I truly wonder whether it will ever hit market, given that the release will be squeezed by the Flightning and whatever the chevy pig thing is, plus Rivian. All the tesla homers will still clamor for it I'm sure.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
They have 2.4 billion preorders. @Toshi put in a buck, right?
and took it back. Also canceled my F-150 Lightning reservation after noting that they'd not get to my order until well after they hit 200k units (and thus loss their tax credits). Plus their pricing model is stupid if you want, say, cloth seats with heat instead of 2 way adjustable unheated vinyl.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
and took it back. Also canceled my F-150 Lightning reservation after noting that they'd not get to my order until well after they hit 200k units (and thus loss their tax credits). Plus their pricing model is stupid if you want, say, cloth seats with heat instead of 2 way adjustable unheated vinyl.
I keep hearing stories of Ford dealers telling folks looking at the Mach-e to just but a Tesla. :rofl:

I have seen a few of the Mach-e and it isn't awful.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think the Kia EV6 would still be top of my list on the currently available "normal" e-cars.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Roads here in Fairbanks are the worst I’ve ever seen. They got a bunch of rain, like inches or rain a couple weeks back, and then feet of snow. Now there’s like 1-6” of ice on all the roads that can’t be plowed off. You can’t use salt, because it’s below 0F. It’s completely bonded and cant go anywhere. There are giant holes in it near concrete and asphalt expansion cracks and you can’t drive more than a few dozen mph. It’s like repeatedly driving into curbs of various sizes, they’ll be every 5-10’ or so, giant holes, insanely rough. There are cars (most own trucks), but I’m not sure how they can’t be damaging them from the impacts. It’s seriously like having a concussion every time.