Quantcast

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
It's a Turbo S, so no ims. I don't mind the headlights considering it's a 6 speed turbo S. Can't even see them from the driver's seat.
Even with IMS, as long as it’s not currently exploded, it’s a weekend swap to get rid of it.

996s are great, they’re only considered ugly because of the 911s before and after them. They’re still a fine looking car. I wish riding rides hadn’t lifted all boats in terms of Porsche pricing, a 996 C4 woulda been a great daily driver now that the kiddo can buckle himself in.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A) You’re wrong, it’s only ugly for a 911, kinda like how Dan Atherton is only a shitty DH racer for an Atherton

B) What the hell is that pink thing in the Pinz?
A), ok, ugly from both the front AND rear, for a porsche. Like a deathmatch between V1 Cayanne, Panamera prototype and this.

B?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Critiquing the looks of a 911 is like turning down sex with a super model because she is not your type.

My friend bought an base all black cabrio of that model 911 back during the financial crisis for 36,000 with 36,000 miles on it. I would be very happy to have that in my garage.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
A), ok, ugly from both the front AND rear, for a porsche. Like a deathmatch between V1 Cayanne, Panamera prototype and this.

B?
why do they insist on 911esq headlights in every model it seems....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Critiquing the looks of a 911 is like turning down sex with a super model because she is not your type.

My friend bought an base all black cabrio of that model 911 back during the financial crisis for 36,000 with 36,000 miles on it. I would be very happy to have that in my garage.
I've driven a 996. it was ok, nothing more. very plastic interior in particular. I do not covet one.

a Turbo S is a different flavor, sure. but still.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've driven a 996. it was ok, nothing more. very plastic interior in particular. I do not covet one.

a Turbo S is a different flavor, sure. but still.
Have you ever sat in a Corvette? The interior of my C5 was awful, but it's the performance that makes the crap interior a non issue.

Here's a $12k 997 front end conversion.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Have you ever sat in a Corvette? The interior of my C5 was awful, but it's the performance that makes the crap interior a non issue.

Here's a $12k 997 front end conversion.

Yeah, my dad has a C5.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah, my dad has a C5.
Amazing cars, shit interior. There was a C6 ZR1 at the Corvette show. Homeboy spent almost $200k redoing the interior. He said with the price of the car, he still had a few bucks in the bank from his Ferrari trade in and he felt the ZR1 was superior, but the interior is sub par. I have a couple pics somewhere, it was stunning, it is my all time favorite Corvette.

Dammit, I thought I got his seats. Everything was recovered in better materials, it looked great.

2012-07-29 12.12.14.jpg

This is the shop that did his seats.

db9d69_5da875627c9d464da447a43d880cddec~mv2_d_4288_2848_s_4_2.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I sat in a competitors cayman at autoX and was blown away...by the lack of "quality" and abundance of plastic. It honestly made my Camaro feel pretty damn nice...which I think it is, but you always hear about all this german stuff and so on. At some point, it seems like reviewers or posters are claiming their cars are CNCed out of one chunk of aluminum and appointed with goat-balls leather inlaid with diamonds and gold fiber stitching. I've owned several german cars and it just wasn't "there" and the Stinger is every bit as german as the germans, it's like a 4-series clone. I think there were some truly aweful interiors. I rode in a friends early C6 and it was just a hard-plastic mess (later ones were better). Those and the C5s were pretty famous for delivering on the performance numbers, in other words they don't suck to drive, the C5 Z06 is kind of a unicorn too for autoX and other stuff, but they definitely weren't up to the modern interiors that are prevalent now.

It also seems like you get some fairly significant jumps from the germans compact to mid to high, but the compact guys always think they have the 7 series interior.

Now, trucks and everything else seems to be pretty decent across the board and I think a lot of the "difference" comes down to bias, vs. reality. Not talking about stripper cars, but when someone raves about one car and then disses another I literally go and sit in both and I can't tell what the **** they are talking about. The "good" one still has miles of plastic in places and the "poor" one is usually exactly the same.

There was this thing about the BMW "sport" seats and how you "had to get the sport seats" because they were "so much better". Maybe they are better than the standard...but they are piss poor compared to the recaros that are intended for serious driving, like come standard in my camaro. I never figured out what the hype was about.

C7, I tend to think that's pretty damn good, CF, soft-touch materials, stitching, etc. But then same thing, people bash them left and right for no reason it seems, pretending it's different than reality?

IMG_4625.JPG

mine

IMG_5124.JPG
IMG_5129.JPG

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think they made HUGE improvements with the C7 interior. The seats are amazing vs the C5/6 that are complete garbage.

I've only had 1 German car and I thought it felt nice inside. 1986 325i I got for $200 from my tow company. Had a bad 3 gear, swapped the trans and drove the wheels off it for 2 years, then sold it for a grand.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
materials seem nice but that beltline makes the baby jeebus cry

because he can't see out of the pillbox, that is

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
materials seem nice but that beltline makes the baby jeebus cry

because he can't see out of the pillbox, that is
I call that "hood view anxiety"-that you have to see the hood in front of you. Every damn work car or rental I ever sit in has the seat jacked ALL THE WAY UP EVERY SINGLE TIME. I just don't get it. I'm not that tall. These people ain't that short.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
They also look bad from the rear. Kinda like a duck. There’s this one just down the road. View attachment 200441
The convertibles do look weird from the rear. They have slightly different lines than the coupes. Bubbly looking like the roof doesn’t match up with rear trunk lid. IMHO a real turnoff.

I have been shopping a 997. Preferably at .2 since the IMS is a non issue on them and, as of now, no major bore score issues. And they are hands down better in fit and finish than the 996. I looked at Caymans and man they are really ‘plasticky’ inside. A good 997 with sport chrono and leather dash/alcantara trim shows remarkably well for 10-12 years old.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
2.86, that's not nearly as impressive, but still.
I just read the top comment on that page, which said top fuel drag cars do 0-60 in .4 seconds. I wish there was somewhere around here that hosted them, that'd be something to watch and feel. So they essentially sneeze and they're doing 300mph :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just read the top comment on that page, which said top fuel drag cars do 0-60 in .4 seconds. I wish there was somewhere around here that hosted them, that'd be something to watch and feel. So they essentially sneeze and they're doing 300mph :rofl:
I remember when they first started breaking 300mph. They started using compression suits to prevent folks from passing out from the blood rush.

This image speaks volumes.

lsavszk5kqy61.jpg

<edit> we used to go to the strip in Woodburn and watch races. They did brackets, so it was more about consistency than brute force. There was this sweet old lady who used to run the Ram 3500 dually that her husband used to pull his funny car. I want to say her quarter mile was like 48 seconds. But because it was consistent, she actually won more than her husband. :rofl:

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

59,995 uk
That's hot. My feed is now flooded with 996 turbos with less than 50k miles. Who are these sick fucks? I guess if you have a dozen cars maybe you don't rack up miles. But I used to take the Vette out just because. Do a quick run to Vernonia for some chicken on a stick.

Screenshot_20230913-070910.png

Never took me 42 minutes, but still. :rofl:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I have been shopping a 997. Preferably at .2 since the IMS is a non issue on them and, as of now, no major bore score issues. And they are hands down better in fit and finish than the 996. I looked at Caymans and man they are really ‘plasticky’ inside. A good 997 with sport chrono and leather dash/alcantara trim shows remarkably well for 10-12 years old.
Which gen Cayman are you referring to? Admittedly I'm a bit biased as the owner of a 2009, but I find the interior to be pretty simple/solid. It's definitely a lot nicer than the 996 gen 911 that I drove as well as a friend's 2005 997.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I remember when they first started breaking 300mph. They started using compression suits to prevent folks from passing out from the blood rush.

This image speaks volumes.

View attachment 200499

<edit> we used to go to the strip in Woodburn and watch races. They did brackets, so it was more about consistency than brute force. There was this sweet old lady who used to run the Ram 3500 dually that her husband used to pull his funny car. I want to say her quarter mile was like 48 seconds. But because it was consistent, she actually won more than her husband. :rofl:
the tires are designed to do that. Helps to maintain traction by absorbing the initial jolt of power and actually acts like a transmission. The wound up tire has a smaller diameter at first then expands providing a higher effective gear ratio as the car accelerates. A CVT of sorts.