Quantcast

The find Opie a new bike thread

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Nice! Thanks. I do love Waterfords and all their rides.

Thing is, the handlebars can't get high enough. On most production bikes, I'd need to receive the bike with an uncut or still long steerer tube on a bike with 54-55cm TT :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Oh, forgot... will an LBS get me a new bike with an uncut steerer tube and cut it for me or get the manufacturer to get it to a specified length?

Bikes I'm currently looking at are from Raleigh and Masi... would they do it?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
whats your price range Opie? I know you were talking about transferring some parts over from another bike.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
whats your price range Opie? I know you were talking about transferring some parts over from another bike.
umm, $2000, but I'd much rather buy a production bike that I'd like with an uncut tube for <$1500. I can and would transfer parts, but I'd say the mix of 105 and ultegra on my back-up bike have 5000 miles.

How many miles can they go? The BB and the crank are the newest with about 3000 miles on them.

how high do you run your bars? it cant be achieved by just flipping the stem ? just curious
I run the bars level with the saddle as I like to rest my forearms on them. Traditional seat-tube for me would be about 58cm, but TT is 55cm. As such, if I buy a production bike with the proper TT, I'd have to run the seatpost long, no biggie, but those bikes typically have a 13cm head-tube and I'd need at least 5cm MORE steerer tube than is typical on a production bike. So yeah, flipping the stem does nothing.

I'm looking at these new bikes cuz of the new philosophy in the marketplace with regards to touring and commuter bikes... more upright style. Info should be out in the next month?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
SWORKS SLs come with uncut steerers...so do Kuotas. and Pinarellos.

actually, if you buy from a shop, a good rep should be able to swap the fork for you...uncut for cut.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'll see what info I can get from Haro on Monday.
cool!
SWORKS SLs come with uncut steerers...so do Kuotas. and Pinarellos.

actually, if you buy from a shop, a good rep should be able to swap the fork for you...uncut for cut.
Thanks for the info. I'd have to guess straight off that I can't afford those, tho I'd love a Pinarello.

what happened to that ti frame/bike in denver?
3 days left on ebay, currently at $1400. I have to imagine it'll go much closer to $2000 or more.

Here's the thing, my budget is around $2500. But I fell in love with cycling again and really really want:
-- single speed roadie... check (minus $500)
-- bad-ass, bad-weather commuter bike that's really a touring bike
-- dedicated roadie

What I'm hoping for is to find a touring bike (eg. 2008 Raleigh Sojourn) that I can strip down and use as a roadie in the summer since I don't think I can squeeze three bikes into $2500.

I'm hopeful and will look for the next few months but will likely scrap the touring/bad-ass commuter bike and just focus on a new roadie.

Thanks y'all for helping me on this! Y'all rule :monkey:

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
ok i see what you are after now. my Fuji has a 170mm head tube which is close to what you want but the effectice tt length is 57cm.

on another note, i might know where there is a ti frame that has a 56 seat tube with a 55 tt and a tallish ht that i might be able to snag you for cheap. and it is a sweeeeeeet frame

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Come on Alice put your purse away, and drop those bars. BTW I measured mine on my new rig. I am sitting at 6" of drop from top of the seat to the top of the bars. My bike was made in Wiscompton too. I cut a good 2" off the steerer upon delivery.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ok i see what you are after now. my Fuji has a 170mm head tube which is close to what you want but the effectice tt length is 57cm.

on another note, i might know where there is a ti frame that has a 56 seat tube with a 55 tt and a tallish ht that i might be able to snag you for cheap. and it is a sweeeeeeet frame
Awesome! Keep me posted :)

Come on Alice put your purse away, and drop those bars. BTW I measured mine on my new rig. I am sitting at 6" of drop from top of the seat to the top of the bars. My bike was made in Wiscompton too. I cut a good 2" off the steerer upon delivery.
*yawn*

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Yippee for you.
I still don't understand this ape hanger bar height obsession. You can't possibly get areo with bars as high as you want them? I mean if all you do is bike trail ridding or something then I can see where maybe you don't care about speed, but I go from sitting up to tucked on the drops, and gain 3mph every time.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Steve, I'll get pics this weekend, but my Masi Speciale Carbon has a 55cm actual TT and a 56cm seat tube. Framesets are hard to come by, but if you can find one, they have an uncut EC70 with them. My bike is light and stiff, yet stupid supple from the 16.5 steel tubes.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Let me have some fun dammit. :rant:

:D
I should post pics of the rest of his decorations and we can rip on him together. My decorations include the dead snowboard, an old BMX frame, old MTB frame with bent deraileur hanger, and Oakley sign, and a Ferrari F40 poster.

Back to the subject of the thread. Since you want a longer headtube, and it appears I can't talk you out of it. I test rode a Mongoose Bosberg, and it was a nice bike for the money, came with Sram Force, too long for my taste head tube, and a comfy carbon frame. Performance has them for like $1900 new. Having now owned a carbon bike, I will never go back. It is stiffer, but yet more forgiving. I'm sure the "Steel is Real" crowd will jump on me for this, but carbon is a far superior material for producing bikes. I ride longer, faster, better on it. I like it so much I am thinking of getting OCLV tattooed on my back across my shoulders. OK, I am not that crazy about it, but I do love carbon bikes. The 'Goose did not seem to accelerate, or be as stiff as allot of the other higher end carbon bikes, but it was comfy as all get out.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Opie...its a Roark custom ti. Just found out about the frame/fork possibly being for sale yesterday. It sounds like just what you need. I saw the bike and its in awesome shape ( duh its ti) . It wont last long when he puts it up for sale. Retail on these frames is right at 2600. If he sales it i'm sure it can be bought for next to nothing. Just let me know what all you need to know about it. I really wouldnt want to see this one slip away from you if it would work for you.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Opie...its a Roark custom ti. Just found out about the frame/fork possibly being for sale yesterday. It sounds like just what you need. I saw the bike and its in awesome shape ( duh its ti) . It wont last long when he puts it up for sale. Retail on these frames is right at 2600. If he sales it i'm sure it can be bought for next to nothing. Just let me know what all you need to know about it. I really wouldnt want to see this one slip away from you if it would work for you.

OOOOooooh Titanium makes me drool! :drool:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I still don't understand this ape hanger bar height obsession. You can't possibly get areo with bars as high as you want them? I mean if all you do is bike trail ridding or something then I can see where maybe you don't care about speed, but I go from sitting up to tucked on the drops, and gain 3mph every time.
I enjoy riding my bike, and that is all that matters.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
If you have a gut at all, even a tiny one, its hard to have really low bars. My road bike is stretched and low and after I got injured last spring (and then gained weight eating/drinking beer) I had trouble riding becuase my stomach would hit my knees on deep breaths.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
why the hard on for people who don't run drop? i run a little over four inches of drop on my bike. with that being said , i could give a rats ass less if anyone else runs more, less or whatever. its what works for me and thats all that matters. opie runs his bars level with his saddle, awesome, thats what works for him.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
If you have a gut at all, even a tiny one, its hard to have really low bars. My road bike is stretched and low and after I got injured last spring (and then gained weight eating/drinking beer) I had trouble riding becuase my stomach would hit my knees on deep breaths.

Yeah I have a tiny gut, been trying to get rid of that crap. I lost 5lbs this week since I have been training hard for my first race. Been doing some crunches too. In a full tuck I do hit my gut a bit, nothing major though. I was thinking of buying a longer seatpost, and going up another inch.
Wumpus said:
I enjoy riding my bike, and that is all that matters.
This is true. As long as you have a great time, that is all that matters. I never thought about what IRE said. I have a small gut, I mean I am a small guy 5'10" 154lbs now. If anyone has a gut remotely big, they are not going to be able to ride with as much drop as me. I don't know how much any of you weigh, or the size of your guts. Excuse me for being ignorant, and not thinking about other's bodies, in relation to their setups. What works for me, might not work for you. I'm gonna quit posting about bar height, but for the record 6" of drop works great for me. Gotta go clean the bike now. Got her all dirty yesterday, rain and fallen leaves=mess!

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
if you can raise your seatpost another inch you are running it to low now and could be losing a ton of potential power. and remember if you can move your seatpost up to recheck your knee/ spindle alignment.when the seat goes up it also goes back
Yeah realistically I probably can't go up. I am flat footed, at the bottom of the pedal stroke, but barely. Almost tip toeing. From what I hear tip toeing is bad. Can you elaborate on knee/ spindle alignment? I might be able to set that up better. Never knew anything about such, I just set it up where it felt right for me, which is all the way back.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
It's simple, he's finally found something he can excell at and is virtually getting back at all those people who gave him crap growing up.

Elitism at it's finest.
Read my above post. I apologized for my ignorance. I have no idea what your body is like so I shouldn't, and will cease to making post about bar height. ire made it apparent to me, why drop like I run can be too much for people with bigger stomachs than the likes of people smaller stomachs like myself. I understand now. I don't know if this is the case with you or not, but 6" of drop works great for me, and that is all that matters to me. If you found a magical position for you then great. I'm just trying to get myself as low, and flat as possible, and did not understand why others ran bars higher.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah realistically I probably can't go up. I am flat footed, at the bottom of the pedal stroke, but barely. Almost tip toeing. From what I hear tip toeing is bad. Can you elaborate on knee/ spindle alignment? I might be able to set that up better. Never knew anything about such, I just set it up where it felt right for me, which is all the way back.
Toe down riding isn't necessarily a bad thing, to each his own. Watch some of the pros (Maroe comes to mind), some have a more flat/heel down stroke and others have a heel up/toe down pedal stroke. The biggest thing to make sure of is that you are never rocking your hips to get to the end of the pedal stroke.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Back to the subject at hand, here are Opie's #s. I'm going to see if I can find a good production frame at a wholesaler that matches em

Seat Tube Length (center of BB to center of top tube): 58cm
Top Tube Length (center of head tube to center of seat tube): 54cm
Chain stay Length: 41cm
Wheelbase: 100cm
Stand over: 84cm
Head Tube Length (space between top & bottom head set: 22cm

This is the closet one I've found in TT
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI307C03-Bianchi+Veloce+W+Free+Veloce+Kit+06.aspx
Here is a cross bike that is close in all but chain stay
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI306G02-Voodoo+Wazoo+Cross+Complete+Bike.aspx