Quantcast

The New Bike (Giant Glory)

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
So the 07 Giant Glory came in on Friday after waiting a few months for it to coming in stock at Giant. It is a Med frame size 17”, I am 5’11” and it fits me great. I have yet to hit the dirt with it yet as I am still waiting on a few parts to come in to swap with a few stock parts. The bike out of the box weighs a whopping 46lbs. I have pedaled it around on the street and boy the thing feels like a 4” travel bike when pedaling. The surprisingly thing is you don’t notice the weight of the bike!!!! The suspension feels plush so far, but I need to still swap out the correct Ti springs for my weight. The draw back to setting up the rear shock will be having to take it off the frame just to change the Bottom Out resistance and change Air Volume on the Fox DHX 5.0. I have already swapped out Bar, Stem, Grips, Seat Post, Set, and Rear Axle. The stock parts I have swapped off weighed a lot!!!! The stock rear steal Axle weighed more than a pound+ with Axle Nuts. I replaced it with an Azonic Aluminum Axle with Steal Nuts. It weighs half of the stock one. The other replacement parts are Easton EA 70 .5 rise bars, Thomson Stem and Seat Post, Oury Grips, and a Funn Skinny Rl Camo seat. I dropped the handle bar height from stock down about 2”, that makes the bike snap faster when turning. Other parts getting swapped are the Race Face Cranks, the Mavic 721 and SunRingle Wheelset, Tires, and 11/34 Sram Cassette. All these parts are for sale in the CLASSIFIEDS. Parts I will be replacing them with are: Truvativ Holzfeller 165mm cranks, Azonic Outlaws, Michelin Tubeless tires, Sram 11/26 Cassette. I will be converting the E-13 SRS Chain Guide to an LG-1 with Taco. I hope to get the bike down to around 40lbs with all parts I am swapping out. I will repost when everything is done with a ride report and with the weight the bike come in at after modifications.

Info for you Guys that wanted to know:
Med Frame is a 17”
BB height is 14.25” after my modifications
HT Angle is 65 degrees on the nose
True TT length is 21”
Stand over is about 30”

Over all so far I know I am going to enjoy this bike.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
WHOA. sick ride dude! i really like the new Giant line, esp. the Reign XO and X1.

something about that Azonic sticker though.....eehhhhh

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You should really get some Hutchinson tires on there ;)

enjoy the Glory (hole)

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
nice cecil man that thing deffinatly looks sick. cant wait to shred with you again man except maybee next time youll bring out the big bike.:clapping:
Had fun at Greenslick yesterday man!!! I do want to try that 45'er, so I will have to take the big bike back up there to do it. That was sick to see Ben try to hit it. The 38'er was way easier to hit after we marked it.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
ohh heck yeh man. i mean i knew that was a killer jump at first but once you had something to aim for it deffinatly made it that much better. but next time you want to head up there man give me a shout and ill join you so you dont have to run it solo cause i know that sucks.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
dont worry fellas as soon as drkenan gets time we will have pics up from the ride. im not sure if the measuments are exact, but any way you slice it there big.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
can't say that i'm too crazy about the new two tone color scheme.
but, that has no bearing on how it rides.

(plus, it's not like you ever come 'round these parts anyway. :):))

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
On the Glory it uses 1.5 on the bottom headset cup right?

Could you run one e13 headset reducer to drop it even more (if you wanted).

BBBSwan05

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
can't say that i'm too crazy about the new two tone color scheme.
but, that has no bearing on how it rides.

(plus, it's not like you ever come 'round these parts anyway. :):))
I kinda like the colors on it. the michelin and tisofi sticker on the frame look pretty good.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
hey, are you getting rid of the 721's ?.....if so, i might want to take them off your hands depending on if you're selling them with hubs and if so, which ones.....also, what do you mean by mods to the BB height?....what is it stock....enjoy the new ride....those bikes are rad

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
So the new wheels came in today. (Azonic Outlaws) I didn't plan on getting white wheels at the time and wanted black, but white was all they had and I didn't want to wait 5 weeks for them. The stock wheelset and Kenda tires were so heavy!!! I kind-a like the look. I also updated a few other parts. One being Michelin tires tubeless, LG1 guide, and Taco. I am thinking it is down to around 41esh now. I will know when I take it up to the shop or to work next week. I still have to put lighter cranks, Ti Spring, X0 shifters, and brakes on it. I think I may see 40lbs when all done.

Updated pics of the new Glory.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Very nice Glory. Your chainstay wrap a tube with electrical tape over it?

I do all mtn bikes with a tube except I use 2 zip ties at the end secure it.
People always say it's ghetto but they're chainstays are chewed up.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Very nice Glory. Your chainstay wrap a tube with electrical tape over it?

I do all mtn bikes with a tube except I use 2 zip ties at the end secure it.
People always say it's ghetto but they're chainstays are chewed up.
Nope... Road Bar Tape and then electrical tape over. I guess just as good as the tube and tape.