Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, last weekend I got a 2005 Sunday World Cup. It has the red annodized DW link and a DHX5 coil. So you're saying just pull that axle out, clean it all up, and relube? Are there grease ports anywhere? Would a good way to get rid of the creak be to run no grease, just clean everything a bunch, then re-assemble?

Thanks.
How's the Sunday treatin' you after the Demo?

Heavy C

Chimp
Dec 5, 2001
no you need both the upper and lower linkage to run 10mm hardware at both ends.

so you will need new upper and lower links, lower screw-in pivot hardware, new MAX-E extended inner race bearings that IH developed with Enduro (no more bearing spacers on the bike), and 10-MIL 10mm shock hardware.
Is this all available now? Any idea on cost? My 05 new in 06 developed pretty significant play in the hardware within 2 weeks. The bike is mint and good for at least another season but I need said upgrade!!

What are you refering to as the lower link? Lower red ano link? Why does this need swapping out.

Thanks Again

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Is this all available now?
not yet

Any idea on cost?
been mentioned before - approx $200 USD for the kit.

What are you refering to as the lower link? Lower red ano link? Why does this need swapping out.
yes. if you have a 05...that means last year you upgraded to the red link and this year you'll have to upgrade to the new 07 which is silver. This to accommodate the new 10mm screw in hardware.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
My 2006 Sunday hardware was fine.
Saruti -

I replaced the upper bolts on my '06 with some that had larger heads - this allowed me to tighten the top shock to spec and eliminate any play. IH has in the past sent this hardware out for free. You don't need $200 worth of '07 hardware to have a bike that works correctly, but that is not to say the new stuff isn't an improvement.

Kinesis built = factory frame

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Same here my links has worked great. 05 US frame, changed the lower link to the red DHX link and ran a DHX all of 06. The shock pins were worn out at the end of the season but that is all.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Sunday weights
2005 team frame with rear axle rear shock headset cups and bearings
12.05 lbs
2007 expert with rear axle rear shock headset cups and bearings
11.04 lbs

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
the previous links (05/06) aren't exactly bad, they just got taken over by more research and development... your argument in that sense doesn't make sense: if a guy buys a merc in 2005 that doesn't have a spoiler, and they put a spoiler on the 07 model, they won;t give the guy with the 05 model a free spoiler.

I'm not saying IH shouldn't give the links away for free (that would be nice), i'm saying that your argument is sligthly nonsensical.

anyway, 200 bucks isn't too bad, i was expecting the equivalent of the price for a new rear shock...

peace.

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
e.13 chainguide question:
I'm going to order a new guide for my 06 Sunday and noticed that the 06 Sunday's came with the SRS and the 07's come with a STS. Is one a better choice? Also, any input on best ring size? I had a 40t and was thinking about switching to a 36. Thanks!!!!!

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
I'm going to order a new guide for my 06 Sunday and noticed that the 06 Sunday's came with the SRS and the 07's come with a STS. Is one a better choice? Also, any input on best ring size? I had a 40t and was thinking about switching to a 36. Thanks!!!!!
You want an SRS guide. The backplate angle is greater, and meant for suspension frames. :)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hey Kenny!

How's the elbow coming along?

The only difference that I know of between the SRS and the STS is that the STS runs a max chain ring of 36T. After some testing during the 06' race season the 36T set-up worked so well that all of the 07' production bikes come with it. But whether you get the STS or the SRS, make sure you get it as ISCG-05 (IS-05) so it fits the tabs on the frame.

As for what chain ring size to run - that depends on your racing strategy and the courses you will be riding. I think you would benefit from running an SRS guide - that way you have the option of running a larger chain ring up front if you want more speed for courses like Mt. Snow. Weight savings between the two is fairly minimal.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Even though the 2007 sundays complete bikes come with a 36t e13 ring and bashy and the catalogue says its a STS guide ,the backplate is actually a SRS backplate, so if I want to run a larger chainring i can just by buying a larger chainring and bashy

if you are buying a aftermarket e13 chainguide for a sunday frame
i would definitely go the SRS to give you more options

will need to be the ISCG 05 model

jose

Chimp
Mar 19, 2007
i bought an used Sunday team 06 a few month ago, and when i was changing the bearings i saw a crack in the swingarm, in the bridge that is welded from one side to the other one.

anyone of you know if i keep using the frame it can make a worse damage? or i can use it ´cause that piece isn´t so important

sorry about the photos quality... were taken with a cell phone

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm not gonna respond to that one...wow.

So, I ordered the Sunday Elite. Anybody wanna swap a X.0 der and x.9 shifter for the ultegra/Xt combo that comes stock?

Oh...and anybody know if the XT is strictly trigger shift or can go pure "thumb style"???

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
I'm not gonna respond to that one...wow.

So, I ordered the Sunday Elite. Anybody wanna swap a X.0 der and x.9 shifter for the ultegra/Xt combo that comes stock?

Oh...and anybody know if the XT is strictly trigger shift or can go pure "thumb style"???
XT shifter is the new 2007 one that you can use either
finger or thumb to shift

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Jose - That brace is not a structural component. It is there as a mount for a fender that never saw production.

-ska todd

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I was actually running a fender similar to that one cut from the side of a plastic milk jug!

It looks like it doesn't really cover up much, but you'd be surprised how much crud it keeps off of the shock.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
i have been using this fender for one year... and it actually keep the dirt and mud away from the shock...

i like it a lot...

now i figure out the purpose of that brace

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Back to page 1.

I received my new Fox DHX in the mail today. I called Fox to see what the procedure is for sending in the shock for a Sunday Tune, and was told by (Alex) that Fox does no aftermarket tuning for shocks. When I asked him about the light compression tune, he had no clue. So I guess the only option is Push, Right....? (not that it's a bad option, but it's another 200 beans).

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
I need to get an E-13 chain guide for my new 2007 Sunday, can anyone tell me if I should go with the regular SRS model or would the new SRS "Wide" model be a better choice. The E-13 web site seems to indicate that the "Wide " version is better for long travel DH bikes.

Actually can anyone tell me what the differences are between the two ?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Here's a question. What's this little threaded hole on my frame just above the left crankarm???

edit:
Oh and to anyone who hasn't seen the Elite, the 888 is glow in the dark and the sticker kit matches it.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeah - I wondered this myself...

I'm guessing it's there for tooling purposes - maybe to hold the frame in a jig for welding or something... I'll ask around.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I heard you were well received at the state correctional facility.

ahahahhahaha... that made my day

butch, are you one of the lucky few who got their bike?

if so i am quite jealous... still waiting for the WC's to arrive

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ahahahhahaha... that made my day

butch, are you one of the lucky few who got their bike?

if so i am quite jealous... still waiting for the WC's to arrive
yeah...I went with the Elite for that very reason...and the fact that I've got parts to swap out to get close to the World Cup in weight.

Ironicly, Saturday I pulled up at the top of an epic day of DH and my buds had just pulled in, me riding my 5 inch trail bike...and the call came in.

A buddy called me from the shop and said his girlfriend's new bike was cool but he loved the bike he was trying out....mine.

Only bad thing...I wasn't expecting it to come so quick and it has to sit there til I can sell a kidney.

I've got a set of I9's from last year on new DT 6.1's to go on it. Not sure where the rest of the weight is, but that's about all I'll change other than trimming the post down. Wouldn't mind parting the Code's out for some Juicy's since I never was unhappy with them last year.

Edit:
The 888 may have to go out to a DH40 or possibly that Air 888 but am scared to get that thing til some real DH'ers I trust put it through some paces. I know the e-riders like it but....

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
yeah...I went with the Elite for that very reason...and the fact that I've got parts to swap out to get close to the World Cup in weight.

Ironicly, Saturday I pulled up at the top of an epic day of DH and my buds had just pulled in, me riding my 5 inch trail bike...and the call came in.

A buddy called me from the shop and said his girlfriend's new bike was cool but he loved the bike he was trying out....mine.

Only bad thing...I wasn't expecting it to come so quick and it has to sit there til I can sell a kidney.

I've got a set of I9's from last year on new DT 6.1's to go on it. Not sure where the rest of the weight is, but that's about all I'll change other than trimming the post down. Wouldn't mind parting the Code's out for some Juicy's since I never was unhappy with them last year.

Edit:
The 888 may have to go out to a DH40 or possibly that Air 888 but am scared to get that thing til some real DH'ers I trust put it through some paces. I know the e-riders like it but....

well that was good timing for ya... we still have snow on all our trails, but it should be gone and dry in 2 weeks, so i have my fingers crossed that everything will be sorted out by then.