Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

nealon

Chimp
Aug 10, 2007
hey was just wondering if someone could tell me how you get the bearings out of the links to take the links off and also are u able to buy new links again yet?

thanks
mark

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Bernard, what exactly did you have to hammer, saw, and file? Assuming that E.13 is going to become an LG1, you could run the chainring bolt spacers that most people put on the outside of the chainring on the inside to give the cranks a more normal chainline.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
He removed the bb tension device that is part of the non-drive side arm on those cranks. I have not looked at them, so I do not know what is involved to do this...but I would imagine it was a bit of trial and error as the crank bolt needs to be bottomed out, and at that point, the bb pre-load needs to be correct....this is the same problem that plagues RF cranks/bbs currently.

I was thinking the same thing about putting the ring on the outside at first... but 'super off the top of my head figures' put his chainline at 52mm ish. Moving to the outer mount would add 5mm = 57mm. Ideal for a 150 rear is 55mm so it is possible he is closer to 55 right now than if he moved the ring, especially since he milled the ring to shift it outward.

It will be interesting to see if the cranks clear the chainstays over time under load (think 73/135 intense M3).

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
He removed the bb tension device that is part of the non-drive side arm on those cranks. I have not looked at them, so I do not know what is involved to do this...but I would imagine it was a bit of trial and error as the crank bolt needs to be bottomed out, and at that point, the bb pre-load needs to be correct....this is the same problem that plagues RF cranks/bbs currently.

I was thinking the same thing about putting the ring on the outside at first... but 'super off the top of my head figures' put his chainline at 52mm ish. Moving to the outer mount would add 5mm = 57mm. Ideal for a 150 rear is 55mm so it is possible he is closer to 55 right now than if he moved the ring, especially since he milled the ring to shift it outward.

It will be interesting to see if the cranks clear the chainstays over time under load (think 73/135 intense M3).
I think right now he's probably ~2.5mm away from 55mm either way. I have a Sunday in the mail right now and might try this with the ring mounted in the outer position b/c I only run 5 cogs.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
All the guys at fluidride in seattle have sundays with that headset...have not heard of any problems. Install is a little different though with the way the bearings are.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Push no longer builds the race system that is discussed in that article. I did have one on a DHR and it felt great, but what they currently do is a little different (they do not remove the boost valve).

FWIW:
I have exchanged a few e-mails with Darren at push about the Sunday in particular and they assured me that they would/could do things to improve the stock DHX. He said they had some issues with early Sunday tunes having too much rebound dampng but that is now corrected...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yep - true that davep.

Dante (when he was with IH) had a DHX with a Factory Race System that was given to the IH offices by Darren as a test shock. This was back in the summer of 06' I believe.

Pretty sweet shock with tons of tuneability, but it wasn't quite where Dante wanted it to be. Haven't spoken with him in a while, but good to hear that Darren has been working on improving the DHX tune for the Sunday.

Everything that PUSH makes is top-notch and Darren knows his stuff - I'm actually getting my DHX PUSH'ed and when it finally comes in.... my 08 Boxxer.

But that's another story.

:biggrin:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
davep - Isn't the correct chainline for a 150x83mm bike 57.5mm (not 55mm)? That's what I recall setting my sunday up at, and also the recommendation - but it's been a long time since I built my bike too, so my memory is vague.

But yeah IIRC, correct chainline is 57.5mm, partly why they only spec Shimano or FSA cranks, as Truvativ stuff leaves the chainline at 56mm which is less than perfect.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
135 hub = 47.5mm [(hubwidth 135mm/2) - (cassette width 40mm/2)]

chainline difference for a 150 = 1/2 the difference in hub width = 7.5mm......47.5 + 7.5 = 55mm

Things have gotten wierd in the last few years, as most cranks for 135 hubs have pushed out to 50mm chainline due to the (IMO) spacing of outboard bearings, as well as very oversized seat tubes tha place the front mech to far outboard for a 47.5 chainline.

I dont know that it matters a bunch. With a single ring up front, there will be a lot of chain angle at cassette extremes no matter where you set the chainline. I suppose if you ride mostly in the smaller cogs (think DH) a wider chainline would minimize wear.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
hi everybody

i´ve got my 2nd sunday it´s a 08 black one.. and i wanna make some aerography job in the headtube... i just wanna paint there the flag of my country (like peaty´s champs bikes) but i´m wondering if that will void the warranty of the frame... i won´t use any kind of chemical solvent or sandpaper neither i´ll just paint over the stock paint job (black anodized i think)

let me now... before i paint it

thanks a lot...

Me.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
hi everybody

i´ve got my 2nd sunday it´s a 08 black one.. and i wanna make some aerography job in the headtube... i just wanna paint there the flag of my country (like peaty´s champs bikes) but i´m wondering if that will void the warranty of the frame... i won´t use any kind of chemical solvent or sandpaper neither i´ll just paint over the stock paint job (black anodized i think)

let me now... before i paint it

thanks a lot...

Me.
Naz' - what's up?

Valpo looked like lots of fun this year - too bad I couldn't make it. Sorry to hear about Brendon's wheels too...

If you want to paint something on the headtube that won't be effecting the anodizing - that's fine. I'll do some research for you to find out what types of paints will work with the ano... Actually come to think of it, it's pretty hard to paint over ano and make it last. I think a good "Plan B" would be to have a sticker made up of the flag.

I'll get back to you with a PM tomorrow about the paint.

Cheers!

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
Naz' - what's up?

Valpo looked like lots of fun this year - too bad I couldn't make it. Sorry to hear about Brendon's wheels too...

If you want to paint something on the headtube that won't be effecting the anodizing - that's fine. I'll do some research for you to find out what types of paints will work with the ano... Actually come to think of it, it's pretty hard to paint over ano and make it last. I think a good "Plan B" would be to have a sticker made up of the flag.

I'll get back to you with a PM tomorrow about the paint.

Cheers!

thank you for your answer..... i´ll check my pm later..

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Somebody asked about shock tunes for a VIVID and there was some debate as to the Rock Shox tune for the Sunday. Because of the dw-link's position sensitive anti-squat curve, and the bike's leverage rate curve, Rock Shox developed the A level tune for the bike.

Keep in mind that the Sunday was designed to use a damper with some end travel ramp, so set your shock up accordingly.

Dave

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Somebody asked about shock tunes for a VIVID and there was some debate as to the Rock Shox tune for the Sunday. Because of the dw-link's position sensitive anti-squat curve, and the bike's leverage rate curve, Rock Shox developed the A level tune for the bike.

Keep in mind that the Sunday was designed to use a damper with some end travel ramp, so set your shock up accordingly.

Dave
Dave - thanks man! :)

There was another thread titled "Vivid Weight and Info" where someone posted SRAM stats on the different tunes and then based on that people were determining it was a different tune other than the "A" Tune.

Thanks for finally putting that to rest.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Just wondering, if my Sunday was ordered two weeks ago, will the lower link be Vivid compatible or is it going to have date with a dremel?

rawcan

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
Hey Guys, I'm new to the Sunday buisness. I have Race Face Evolve crankset. The spacing according to the instructions says 1-2.5 spacer non-drive side 2-2.5 spacers drive side. Any experience telling you guys different.
Thanks in advance

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
Just wondering, if my Sunday was ordered two weeks ago, will the lower link be Vivid compatible or is it going to have date with a dremel?
Did you order a frame kit or a complete bike? If you ordered a World Cup then yes it's coming with the Vivid. Frame kit wise, the Factory frames are coming with the DHX and later on when they switch to World Cup frames they'll have the Vivid.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Jason - you rule.

Totally swamped with work, but here is the pic of the 08' Vivid link guys:

NOTE: I will add this to the frontpage and update with other goodies as well during my time off next week.

So - if your lower link looks like this - no need to Dremel. It will fit the Vivid no problem.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Jason - you rule.

Totally swamped with work, but here is the pic of the 08' Vivid link guys:

NOTE: I will add this to the frontpage and update with other goodies as well during my time off next week.

So - if your lower link looks like this - no need to Dremel. It will fit the Vivid no problem.
Thank Carl at IH - he's the one that snapped that pic for me.

My lower link was a 07, so I simply filed it to clear the Vivid.

ride on..

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Woa - woa guys... hold on... just because the frame came with a DHX doesn't necessarily mean that you have the 07' lower link.

Let me find some pics before you start voiding warranties.

:)
I'm still tapping my fingers semi-patiently waiting for it to come. I was definitely going to check before voiding my warranty. I just want to have an idea of what I'm going to have to do.

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'm still tapping my fingers semi-patiently waiting for it to come. I was definitely going to check before voiding my warranty. I just want to have an idea of what I'm going to have to do.
Just so you know, if you wanted to run the Vivid we have just lower links available seperate from the linkage kits. They run $55 plus shipping.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Where can i ask questions about the marketing and export ... no technical question?
Pyro - CarlE should be able to help you with those kinds of questions.

As for removing the bearings, as rawcan said using the proper sized socket from a socket wrench set and a C-Clamp will do the job - just go slowly to make sure you aren't damaging the frame!

:biggrin:

Pyrosteiner

Chimp
Jan 15, 2008
I have a 07 Sunday WC with the false spring. With my gear i weight about 70 KG (155lb).

At the moment i have a offer about one 275lb and one 350lb spring. Can i buy one of the two or should i buy one 300lb spring.

I have one 500lb spring to sell or change!

Pyrosteiner

Chimp
Jan 15, 2008
A very good friend of me weight about 75 Kg (165lb) and rides a 2006 Sunday with a 450lb spring.

He said to me i should buy a 350lb spring and not a 300lb because the bike with stronger spring is more ready to race... ???

I don´t know what i should do....