Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
OB, I am pretty much your weight spot on. Last year I ran a 350 all year with no problems at all.

couple bottom-outs over the season when overshooting a bigger drop/landing or but that is it. I would not use a 350 for hucking, but for fast 'race' type riding it works great for me.

Pyrosteiner

Chimp
Jan 15, 2008
Somebody from Ironhorse have to look at the german market... big problems coming up and the german distributor says he love to go skiing and have no time for the Ironhorse job.
Many dealers spent much money in advance to get a bike... they wait months and nothing happend... they chanceled the order and want the money back but ... nothing happend. They will go to police in the near future!

When Ironhorse change nothing very urgent in distribution many riders in europe and specially in germany and austria will buy another bikes and your bikes have no chance in future!

Thats ridiculous whats going on in germany with ironhorse... when you understand german, read self:

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=299112

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=323442

I have a 07 Sunday WC but when i have to wait a half year to become spare parts here in germany and then i get the false spare parts i will sell my frame when nothing gets better.

The actual condition is not good.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
It is like pyrosteiner said, there is big mess in Austria too.

My LBS ordered around 20! IH Bikes (not only sundays) and did not get one yet!

So he is really pissed and a lot of his customers who waited on Sundays swith to other brands.

He loves your company and so do I. But what shall a dealer do when he do not get the bikes he ordered.

Come On IH - please do somethimg to sort the problems in Austria and Germany!

boozy1976

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
world-euro-ger-bavaria-munich
i think you both guys did not buy your bikes in germany-did you?
so why should anybody in germany take care of your bikes?!?!?
-correct me if i'm wrong...
otherwise it's a greyimport from-i-don't-know-country

i bought my sunday in italy 3 years ago and they took care 'bout me(for new shock pins, sticker-kits etc)
after the warranty was expired i helped myself by contacting MikeL/CarlE and they were/are very helpful to solve my euro problems...period

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
i think you both guys did not buy your bikes in germany-did you?
so why should anybody in germany take care of your bikes?!?!?
-correct me if i'm wrong...
otherwise it's a greyimport from-i-don't-know-country

i bought my sunday in italy 3 years ago and they took care 'bout me(for new shock pins, sticker-kits etc)
after the warranty was expired i helped myself by contacting MikeL/CarlE and they were/are very helpful to solve my euro problems...period
I bought my Sunday and my MKIII in Austria last year.

Pyrosteiner

Chimp
Jan 15, 2008
I bougt my sunday world cup 11 months ago here in bavaria, germany and i paid a lot of thousand euros to have now this bad conditions !!!

You will see a pic of my axle after 11 months use one or two sides before and nobody here in germany help me or could sell a new axle. A friend has the same problem with a 2006 sunday since last year...

Two friends of me ordered last year in october and november one sunday team and one world cup at amazing bike shop munich and at speer wheels maintal.
Both shops didn´t get the bikes and my friends have now other bikes.

I´m in contact with heimo from bikestore.cc in austria and he is really pissed and have the same big problems... he got one or two bikes and ordered 20 or 30... i don´t know exactly.

I think when nothing changed in next time no dealer in germany and austria will sell Ironhorse Bikes in future ... they all laugh about ironhorse because why should someone sell bikes, make marketing and speak with customers when i don´t get the ordered bikes and no spare parts and no service.
It is awful!

I love ironhorse and a few of my friends too... but we are biker... we want to go outside and have a great ride... and we dislike to wait 6 months or longer to get a bike, a frame or spare parts!!

And in the last time when we make new things we take no ironhorse to try this because when we damage something we can put the bike in the living room and hang it up for a long time because no spare parts and no service here in germany...

I hope you understand my bad english... sorry!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

As for my style, I don't know what species of animal I would compare to. My wife might say "deffinetly not a walrus." Not a nice comment if you think about it.:disgust: But i'm probably like a lot of ex-bmxers. Years of manual, pump, manual, has made me a smooth rider who loves flat pedals, and always rides to carry the most momentum.

Everything you said about the Fox being linear, etc, is all foreign talk for me. I've never even touched the knobs on my fork. What a waste of a top of the line fork!:banghead: I need to understand more. I blew out my WC fork, and had it re-done by sram. I haven't riden it since because I bought this Fox while I was waiting for it. SRAM treated me well by the way.

:eek: :twitch:

Good Lord man!!! Adjustment of suspension is everything when it comes to downhilling. Very important.

Since this is really more of a Sunday thread and not about suspension, I'll give you some links and copies of files that can help out in a day or two.

It's OK to twiddle with the knobs... (read into that what you want) :)
It's the only way you will find out what works for you, and will make the bike handle a TON better!

OK - I come from a BMX background as well... but that was a REALLY long time ago so you're probably ahead of me on that. In that case according to the BMX style of pumping, you would definitely benefit from the Vivid. You can set this shock up to give you a good mid-stroke response that you can pump off of to lift (old-skool term: "bunny-hop") the bike over obstacles.

OB - check out this thread on the Vivid:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195676&highlight=Vivid

I'll be incorporating a lot of this info for Sunday riders soon on the front page of this thread.

Pyro - Jesus...

OK - that's NOT the way things should work.

At all.

If they're not already aware, I'll talk to the guys in the office about this.

Mar 21, 2008
Hey guys.

I think that there was a video or an animation about how to remove the shock pin in a 07 dw link. I can't find this anymore, so can somebody give me the link to this animation.

thanks

Pyrosteiner

Chimp
Jan 15, 2008
Pyro - Jesus...

OK - that's NOT the way things should work.

At all.

If they're not already aware, I'll talk to the guys in the office about this.
You say it... thank you for helping us here in germany/austria!!

My sister lives in Rochester, MN ... who can sent spare parts to my sister? My sister can pay the parts or i will pay the parts with pay pal.

She will sent the parts to me...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
You say it... thank you for helping us here in germany/austria!!

My sister lives in Rochester, MN ... who can sent spare parts to my sister? My sister can pay the parts or i will pay the parts with pay pal.

She will sent the parts to me...
Sie sind willkommen! :)

(I am part German, but do not actually speak it fluently)

Pyro - Could you send me a PM with all the stuff you need and I'll see what I can do.

DHM - The A-Tune is one of the 3 tunes offered by RS for the Vivid (A, B, and C). The A-Tune is best suited for the dw-link on the Sunday. Dave has worked with SRAM to make sure the shock will have optimum performance with the Sunday and the "A-Tune" that RS offers does the job nicely. :)

timo12

Chimp
Mar 29, 2008
hey :)

first. sorry for my bad english. i'm from austria. :disgust:

so my problem. i've had play in my 06 IH sunday... so i glued steel bushes in the dw link and made a new axle for it. with new spacers i've zero play in the link. it's the link between the dw-link and the rear triangle. today i noticed that there is play between the main frame and the dw-link. so i tightend the screws there until one of them broke. i rebuilt the complete links and noticed that the spacers between the bearings and the dw link are too thin. so could it be, that when the one link have zero play that the other link began to get play?
unfortunately i've no money for 07er or 08er link kit. so i'm looking for an other solution.

could it happen, that when i put spacers made of steel between the link and the bearing, that the spacers began to attack the dw-link??

other solutions??

ragards :)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Where did someone get the idea that 'DW link' is a particular piece of a bike? DW link is a patented suspension design, not a particular part of any bike.

Anyways....I assume you are talking about the lower link???? You can replace the bearings with the '07 bearings that have the spacers built in.

You can order an entire bearing kit, or just single bearings here: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id55.html

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
Some little questions about spring rate!

1. Where can I get a spring for a Vivid?

2. I had a 400lb spring for my DHX, what spring do I need for a Vivid?

3. What spring rate do I need for a 5th Element? The spring calculator at TFtuned told me I would need a 350lb for it!

timo12

Chimp
Mar 29, 2008
Where did someone get the idea that 'DW link' is a particular piece of a bike? DW link is a patented suspension design, not a particular part of any bike.

Anyways....I assume you are talking about the lower link???? You can replace the bearings with the '07 bearings that have the spacers built in.

You can order an entire bearing kit, or just single bearings here: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id55.html
yes. i mean the lower link. stands dw-link on. so this must be the dw-link :p

hmm. i only need the two bearings wich are pressed in the main frame. are these only by enduroforkseals available?? because i changed the 4 bearings in the rear triangle. and i don't want to change them again.
have these bearings a number to identify them?? and have skf or something such bearings in their programs??

:)

edit: and another question. does anybody know the with of the 07 lower link? on the front and the rear link holes? or can anybody measure it? pls

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Download and save this: http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/sunday/sunday_frame.pdf

check the drawings, I think the bearings you need are # 19 (6903 2RS MAX-E). There are part numbers on the PDF for the propper bearings. They are available at the link that I posted earlier: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id169.html

I do not think you will be able to find these bearings through SKF or the like. I think they are custom due to the extended (wider) inner race (that is why they do not use spacers).

I can measure my lower link for you, but I need to know exactly where/at what place. Can you post a simple drawing of the measurement you need?? Width of the aluminum? width of the outer edge of the bearings?

yes. i mean the lower link. stands dw-link on. so this must be the dw-link :p

hmm. i only need the two bearings wich are pressed in the main frame. are these only by enduroforkseals available?? because i changed the 4 bearings in the rear triangle. and i don't want to change them again.
have these bearings a number to identify them?? and have skf or something such bearings in their programs??

:)

edit: and another question. does anybody know the with of the 07 lower link? on the front and the rear link holes? or can anybody measure it? pls

timo12

Chimp
Mar 29, 2008
Download and save this: http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/...nday_frame.pdf

check the drawings, I think the bearings you need are # 19 (6903 2RS MAX-E). There are part numbers on the PDF for the propper bearings. They are available at the link that I posted earlier: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id169.html

I do not think you will be able to find these bearings through SKF or the like. I think they are custom due to the extended (wider) inner race (that is why they do not use spacers).

I can measure my lower link for you, but I need to know exactly where/at what place. Can you post a simple drawing of the measurement you need?? Width of the aluminum? width of the outer edge of the bearings?
thx for the pdf but i know it alredy. ;) and i already found out the number to identify the bearings. and skf doesn't have them in their program. because of the MAX-E how you said. ;)

i just need to know if the 06er link has the same width than the 07er/08er? beacause when i order these bearings and then there is already play when the link is too narrow.

and does sombody know how long enduroforkseals need to ship to austria. because i want tu ride and not to work on the bike ;)

edit: i need the measures exactly there where the axles go thorough the link.

edit²: now i made a drawing where to measure. it's not very exaclty i know. but i think you know what i mean. :)

Attachments

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
thx for the pdf but i know it alredy. ;) and i already found out the number to identify the bearings. and skf doesn't have them in their program. because of the MAX-E how you said. ;)

i just need to know if the 06er link has the same width than the 07er/08er? beacause when i order these bearings and then there is already play when the link is too narrow.

and does sombody know how long enduroforkseals need to ship to austria. because i want tu ride and not to work on the bike ;)

edit: i need the measures exactly there where the axles go thorough the link.

edit²: now i made a drawing where to measure. it's not very exaclty i know. but i think you know what i mean. :)
Timo - what's up?

OK - the bearings you need can be found in the link to the pdf that davep provided or you can look on the first page of this thread under CAD drawings - there is a link to an image that you don't have to download.

All of the different variations of the lower link are the same width - the old style linkage (05 - 06) used washers as shims between the link and the frame. The new style linkage (07 - present) uses the MAX-E bearing system which replaces the shim/washers with an extended inner race (lip) of the bearing itself - hence the name "MAX-E"... the "E" is for "extended".

Also - Enduro Bearings are the only provider of the MAX-E bearings out there right now - Dave Weagle worked with Enduro to design these bearings specifically for the Sunday. :)

As for shipping to Austria, that's something that only Enduro could answer.

Heh - dave, we just refer to the lower link as the "dw-link" sometimes because it used to have the "dw-link" logo stamped on it - a misnomer, yes - but it's easier to identify that part of the bike and even though the links no longer have that stamp, I guess it just became part of the terminology. :)

DHM

Chimp
Dec 16, 2007
Augsburg, Bavaria
DHM - The A-Tune is one of the 3 tunes offered by RS for the Vivid (A, B, and C). The A-Tune is best suited for the dw-link on the Sunday. Dave has worked with SRAM to make sure the shock will have optimum performance with the Sunday and the "A-Tune" that RS offers does the job nicely. :)
Thanks for that. But do you know the differences between the tuning of these three setup types? How do I get know which setup I have or what is to do to change from maybe C to A or B to A? Couldn't get any info from RS...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
DHM:

Here's what you need:

According to SRAM...

If Leverage Ratio = Wheel Travel / Shock Travel

For flat rate
Tune A: 2.0-2.4 Leverage Ratio
Tune B: 2.4-2.85 Leverage Ratio
Tune C: 2.85-3.3 Leverage Ratio

For falling rate deduct 0.1 from the range.
For rising rate add 0.1 to the range.

In the 2008 spare parts list there is a part number for the different tunes - shims only and complete piston assy.
there is a TON of info here which I will add to the Sunday Thread shortly:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195676&highlight=vivid&page=4

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
so I'm trying to remove a shock from an 07 sunday. I'm having trouble removing the lower shock pin. Every time I try to remove the non-drive side screw, the drive side screw loostens no matter how hard I retighten the drive side screw.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
so I'm trying to remove a shock from an 07 sunday. I'm having trouble removing the lower shock pin. Every time I try to remove the non-drive side screw, the drive side screw loostens no matter how hard I retighten the drive side screw.
Hold the non drive side pivot with a wrench, turn the screw to loosen the expanding side of the shock pin. Hold the drive side with a wrench and loosen the drive side screw, remove the pin.

Hope this helps

Dave

no81

Chimp
Mar 17, 2008
hi ironhorse owners ;)

i come from austria and wait for my ironhorse sunday team since December.
Anyone know whats going on with ironhorse and the delivery to europe? i am really pissed of about this situation.
has anyone of you an ironhorse sunday team 2008?

greetz

Hi Greetz,

I waited for mine from November until the start of March. I eventually got mine through Go-Ride in the US, and they being one of the main US dealers aparantly got some of the early ones.

It eventually arrived though, so hopefully yours will too.

Onle thing though, it didn't come with an e13 LG1, it came with the much heavier e13 STS.

The paint is also TOTALLY shyte quality, but that's always been the case with Sundays. Mine has numerous paint chips after 3 rides. The paint just flakes off around any bolts, and anywhere that there has been the smallest bit of cable rub or a knock.

The bike is great though.

Hope yours arrives soon.

JT

hi ironhorse owners ;)

i come from austria and wait for my ironhorse sunday team since December.
Anyone know whats going on with ironhorse and the delivery to europe? i am really pissed of about this situation.
has anyone of you an ironhorse sunday team 2008?

greetz

no81

Chimp
Mar 17, 2008
Hi Greetz,

Onle thing though, it didn't come with an e13 LG1, it came with the much heavier e13 STS.

JT
thanks for the information, so i hope my bike will also come in the near future.
But the thing with the chainguide is ****, i dont want a e13 STS :shocked:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
next problem. while I'm waiting for a new shock, I have a temporary choice for replacement. A roco wc of a fresh Romic, which might work a little better. Neither is tuned for a sunday. also how would I set it up to ride best as in rebound and compression settings.

Thanks

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
...The paint is also TOTALLY shyte quality, but that's always been the case with Sundays. Mine has numerous paint chips after 3 rides. The paint just flakes off around any bolts, and anywhere that there has been the smallest bit of cable rub or a knock. ...

JT
Too bad about the finish. Is it ano. or gloss on the 2008 team?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
next problem. while I'm waiting for a new shock, I have a temporary choice for replacement. A roco wc of a fresh Romic, which might work a little better. Neither is tuned for a sunday. also how would I set it up to ride best as in rebound and compression settings.

Thanks
VooDoo - I'd go with the Rocco. MarzocchiUSA can tune the shock to suit the Sunday - a friend and former Iron Horse employee who has one on his Sunday had Marz tune his Rocco and after a year of riding, loves it.

Hope this helps.

Contac and no81: Iron Horse is working on resolving this issue. On behalf of I.H., I deeply apologize for this inconvienience - I hope this gets solved quickly.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
VooDoo - I'd go with the Rocco. MarzocchiUSA can tune the shock to suit the Sunday - a friend and former Iron Horse employee who has one on his Sunday had Marz tune his Rocco and after a year of riding, loves it.
this is just until a new vivid arrives one, two weeks max so it'll be original tune. still think the roco ??

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hmmm... if it's only for a few weeks, then yeah - I would go with the Rocco. It's user serviceable, so if you want to do some tuning on your own (change the oil to a lighter or heavier weight) you can. If you're not comfortable with doing it on your own a competant shop tech. can do it for you.

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
Some little questions about spring rate!

1. Where can I get a spring for a Vivid?

2. I had a 400lb spring for my DHX, what spring do I need for a Vivid?

3. What spring rate do I need for a 5th Element? The spring calculator at TFtuned told me I would need a 350lb for it!

:happydance::happydance::happydance: No response on that yet, so I try it again :happydance::happydance::happydance:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay so i have a small little problem with my dhx on my sunday. the bottom out knob will not turn. i have pulled both of the set screws out and it is deffinalty loose, but the thing still will not turn. sorry for changing the subject, i just thought this would be the best place for tuning issues and little problems with shocks. thanks for the help fellas, and hopefully we can find a solution.