Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

DrSouce169

Chimp
Jan 8, 2009
Boxford MA
I have an '08 and I had the same play "feeling" of lifting the bike up by the seat and feeling it, but it was actually play inside the lower link. I tapped the pin out, covered it in bearing retainer compound, re-assembled the frame, and then let it sit for 2 days to cure. Problem solved.
I took the linkage apart and reassembled it off of the frame, and it definitely was coming from the top part of the link. I thought it might be coming from the bottom link but it was pretty obvious it was coming from the top, you could feel the rocker arms moving back and forth. Not a lot, but noticeable on the bike.

Chewbac

Chimp
Jun 5, 2012
Yea I was a bit surprised to find Enduro bearings in mine as I wasn't expecting them to have been replaced
cheers

shredden.

Chimp
Jun 11, 2012
Hey guys, just signed up so I could post in here. 15 years old, work in a bikeshop and come from Victoria, Australia.

I just sold my Medium V10.3 and bought a large 2009 Sunday Team X frame. It has no play in the linkage but has been custom painted and its crap as hell. So, I am paint stripping it and thinking of getting it polished and having a polished/red anno colour scheme. At the moment specs will be as follows:

- Large 2009 Sunday Frame, polished w/cut lower linkage to fit RC4 w/-1 degree angleset.
- 2011 RC4 w/300pd ti spring (will 300pd be good for 65kg rider?)
- 2011 40's Non-Kashima
- 2012 XT Trail w/203mm Rotors
- 165mm Saint Cranks w/hope BB
- LG1+ w/Red Guidering
- Red DMR vault pedals
- Red Hadleys to Atomlab Pimplites or Loaded AMX
- 10sp 2013 Saint Derailleur and Shifter cut to 6 speed w/KMC X10SL chain
- 2.5 minions DHF
- Renthal 20 rise, 770 rise
- Silver sunline stem
- Thomson post and SDG FLY saddle w/red hope clamp

Can anyone see any obvious problems with these specs? Any compatibility issues? Anything that wont work?

Cheers.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Other than the fact that you are going to a fair bit larger frame - which if you are 15, I figure you are still growing and this is desirable.
My Sunday has the link mod and a RC2 and I run a 300lb spring at nearly 80kg. You may need a lighter spring if you like lots of sag, I do. I do however run 175psi in the boost valve so you may be fine with 150psi.
If UDI chimes in he may give some more specific advice, from memory he is a similar weight and you can search this thread for his posts as well as I can.
I like the -1deg headset in mine and forks slid down the sliders till I get 13.75" bb height and about 63.5 deg HA. But a 40 gives you plenty of room to play and see what you like.
Everything else is just a standard build -bars, stem, gearing, brakes etc is just personal choice.

shredden.

Chimp
Jun 11, 2012
I am 6 foot 2, the Medium V10 was just too small, I was always hitting my knees aha.

If I was to run the forks pulled out a bit, for a higher BB (I pedal everywhere), would it be advisable to compensate with a drop crown like a Canfield? Keeping in mind I have low rise bars.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
You mean drop stem?
I ran a canfield stem with 20mm rise bars on mine when I had 40's on the front - slid down until I had a nearly 14" bb height . Doesnt fit the 888's I have on now and I think in hindsight I may have been too low by a bit. I'm just 6' and on a medium.
Pretty sure the Large Sunday has the same 125mm headtube, so at 6'2" I doubt you'll need a drop stem. Again, very much, personal preference.

shredden.

Chimp
Jun 11, 2012
Yeah man, I mean a drop stem, was typing on a phone and not fully thinking aha. Guess Ill just set it up as normal and see how I go hitting the cranks.

Always paranoid of low BB's, after this incident aha. Paid $550 for opiums then tacoed them after 3 runs. Anger is greatly exaggerated BTW, remembered I had the GoPro on and put on a show for the fellas.

https://vimeo.com/36122948

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I've tried to search for this w/ various key words and still cannot find the answer. Can you mount the rear shock up side down w/ the reservoir up making all the adjustments easier to get to (especially sag)? If not why so? I can't think up any reason it couldn't.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
I've tried to search for this w/ various key words and still cannot find the answer. Can you mount the rear shock up side down w/ the reservoir up making all the adjustments easier to get to (especially sag)? If not why so? I can't think up any reason it couldn't.
From memory the piggy-back will foul the downtube. The only shock that would get away with it is an Avalanche Chubby

astoria

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
Managed to squeeze in the RC4 on my '06 Sunday last weekend. Here are some pics:
IMAG0500.jpg
IMAG0502.jpg
IMAG0503.jpg
IMAG0504.jpg
IMAG0505.jpg

And here she is all built up:
IMAG0506.jpg

DrSouce169

Chimp
Jan 8, 2009
Boxford MA
Managed to squeeze in the RC4 on my '06 Sunday last weekend. Here are some pics:
View attachment 111267
View attachment 111268
View attachment 111269
View attachment 111270
View attachment 111271

And here she is all built up:
View attachment 111272
What are those bolts on the linkage? They look way beefier than the stock ones.

I was doing some research on why my link has play and I ran into this thread
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=100329
What is the big bolt kit that they are talking about and is that what you have on your sunday astoria?

astoria

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
Its a machine shop'ed shaft made from a stainless steel rod i have lying around. Parts are hard to source out on our frames. Fabrication is the way to go! :thumb: harware size is 8mm btw. Costs arond $12 for the material and fabrication.

Last edited:

DrSouce169

Chimp
Jan 8, 2009
Boxford MA
What length did you cut the rods at? it looks like you have a fair amount of washers on there. Since it's impossible to find an F7 anywhere I think I'm going to try this out

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Not necessarily Sunday related but since its for a Sunday, what paint stripper (preferably chemical) is the best for getting the sunday down to the metal. Shes looking rough so I think Im going to either rattlecan or powdercoat her.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Not necessarily Sunday related but since its for a Sunday, what paint stripper (preferably chemical) is the best for getting the sunday down to the metal. Shes looking rough so I think Im going to either rattlecan or powdercoat her.
I used Airplane Stripper when I did a Makulu 2 years ago and it worked great. Probably woulda worked better had I not done it outside in the middle of winter:bonk:
I think you can still get it at Walmart for about 7 per can (I needed 2). By far the hardest part is getting into all the nooks and crevasses. If I had to do it all over again I would pay to have it professionally done.

allen

Chimp
Mar 25, 2012
NJ
That is correct. The upper link wasn't countersunk like the F7. You could get it through most any fastener supplier I would think - just off the shelf parts.
I helped my friend do this on his Sunday and we used this in combination with some washers.

McMaster Part #:92981A217

Metric Alloy Steel Shoulder Screw, 8mm Shoulder Dia, 70mm Shoulder Length, M6 Thread

You, will have to run some washers to shorten the shoulder bolt since the correct length needed is 65mm and thats not a common size shoulder bolt.

AL

shredden.

Chimp
Jun 11, 2012
I am in the middle of doing mine, just used a gel based stripper from mitre 10 (local hardware store) put it on with a paintbrush, leave for 30 mins, scrape off, repeat. Works great but is hard to get into little holes and welds. Do it outside, everytime I do it in the shed I end up high as hell.

DrSouce169

Chimp
Jan 8, 2009
Boxford MA
I am in the middle of doing mine, just used a gel based stripper from mitre 10 (local hardware store) put it on with a paintbrush, leave for 30 mins, scrape off, repeat. Works great but is hard to get into little holes and welds. Do it outside, everytime I do it in the shed I end up high as hell.
If you have access to a air compressor, try this in addition to paint stripper.

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/

I used the paint stripper first and took off the majority of the paint, then used the soda to clean it up. There will definitely be some stubborn paint on the welds, the swing arm by the axle and near where the shock goes, which were a bitch to get off. I let the paint stripper sit and used a soft wire brush on the welds to get that off, and just paint stripper and a nail to pick off the little flakes in the hard to reach places

ignitor

Chimp
Feb 10, 2009
sunday.jpg Decided to freshen the old girl up. Powder coat for the frame and spray paint for the forks, gloss black. Pretty stoked with how it came out. Just need to slap on the silver decals I got ade and she'll be back into it!! Enjoy.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Good looking Sunday's everyone. I love this thread, even though I do not own one anymore hehe. In regards to everyone asking about stripping their paint, this question is asked alot. My advice is find you're local powder coater, and have them do it. Cost $40 locally for me. Much less headache than buying liquid stripper and doing it that way. I am the proud new owner of a used sandblaster so I can now do this myself.

tatems

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
started to pull my sunday apart to get it ready to paint, got most of it apart with no hassles just when i went to remove the bottom link from the rear triangle it is stuck! and i mean stuck, i got one of the screws out but the other one just spins the entire axle type thing, ive tried knocking it out with the hammer, about half a can of WD40 and RP7 what else can i do??
cheers for any help :)

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
started to pull my sunday apart to get it ready to paint, got most of it apart with no hassles just when i went to remove the bottom link from the rear triangle it is stuck! and i mean stuck, i got one of the screws out but the other one just spins the entire axle type thing, ive tried knocking it out with the hammer, about half a can of WD40 and RP7 what else can i do??
cheers for any help :)
On the non drive side one of the 4mm bolts actually spreads the "axle type thing". I usually loosen that just about all the way then loosen the other side up. With a couple of turns still left in the drive side I take a rubber mallet and tap it to expose the bolt on the non drive side. It should pull out fairly easy after that. You may need to lift the rear wheel a bit it get the shock to relieve some stress on the axle.

tatems

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
yea ive done that the part that id stuck is the other end of the lover link, the end that connects to the rear triangle, not the shaft that holds the shock in, cheers for the help though