Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
way to post some free advertising. what model sunday is that before? i dont think ive ever seen that one

on that note, i saw a new sunday on ebay last week. crazy.

Last edited:

allen

Chimp
Mar 25, 2012
NJ
Can anyone confirm what needs to be done to the link to fit that BOS Stoy shock on it? I also have a Vector HLR on the way. Can anyone confirm if Vector shock will fit without modification? Any recommendation on which shock to go with? The BOS is tuned for the Sunday while the HLR has no pro pedal and both LSC, HSC, and Rebound adjustments. Still hoping the BOS can be made to fit without too much hassle (I'm pretty handy with machine tools). Thx
You might get away with the Vector HLR since it looks like you've got the 06 lower link which has some more clearance. If not you'll have to cut out some of the webbing to clear the knob. I had to clearance the lower link to fit a Vector HLR for my friends Sunday with an 05 lower link.

I'd also recommend sending it back to X-Fusion since they offer a DW link tune what works very well for the Sunday. I had it done for my Vector HLR air and it was a night and day difference. I have a non DW tuned coil version on my 6 point. You can get it pretty dialed by backing out the high and low speed comp as well as reducing the volume of the reservoir. With the DW tune on my Sunday shock it puts the adjustment ranges back where they should be so you won't be pushing the extremes to get it to feel the way you want. I'll be sending my shock in over the winter to get the tune for the my 6.

Al

Al

mg23

Chimp
Aug 18, 2013
Ouch, that is not a good thing.

I am totally lost, i think that i am going to order de 350x3 and just ride it.
Mate, I am 90kg's and read all the info on spring weights and the shizzle. Put a 450lb spring on to match my weight and went to Morzine for a week. It f**cked up the bike and was a friggin nightmare to ride...absolutely ruined a weeks worth of riding. Went back to a 350 spring and the transformation was amazing!!. Thats with a Vivid 5.1 if it helps.

Carrera911xc

Chimp
Aug 5, 2013
I ended up running the Vector HLR(untuned) with a 250# spring (all I had at the time) for one weekend. It was too overdamped in compression and especially rebound. I ended up swapping it out for a BOS Stoy that came with a Sunday tune from the factory. Fitting the shock required some grinding of my 06 linkage, but nothing too drastic. I searched all over for a BOS linkage but none turned up. The shock swap absolutely transformed the bike. Just wanted to post an FYI to anyone considering running this setup.

Messenger_5792043082836716961_13809306819243463.jpgMessenger_5792043193041957141_13809307081932988.jpg

callumw18

Chimp
Oct 12, 2013
Thinking about buying someones stripped sunday frame and he is claiming its the factory version, is there anyway of telling in the frame?

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
I dont think there is any difference in the frames since 2007.
If you are buying a 2006 one the frame should be more than 4100 grams

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
Guys I need a piece of advice :imstupid:
I have a RC4 but I broke it and now I am looking for a low speed compression for it or a new rear shock.
If anyone have a blown RC4/RC2 I will buy it :)
If I go for the Vivid Air what tune do I need ?
Also does anyone installed a CCDB Air there ?
Xfusion is an option as well but its price is almost as CCDB Air
I know I will need to do some work on the frame :)
Also I am thinking to keep this new shock to my new frame whatever it will be .....
Cheers

Last edited:

bendik.ph

Chimp
Oct 6, 2011
guys, i will be changing the bearings on my 2007 sunday. i got these pivot torque values from the first page of this thread.

can someone tell me where is the CS pivot and the SS pivot

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
woww....
cracked my dw DHR in Morzine 2 months a go ...
so, going back to a sunday.
just bought a used frame from a friend.
will sand blast it, then powder coat it. dont know what color ....
put on it new bearings, and a RC4

used to have on for years. the best DH bike I owned.
really happy to come back :)

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
woww....
cracked my dw DHR in Morzine 2 months a go ...
so, going back to a sunday.
just bought a used frame from a friend.
will sand blast it, then powder coat it. dont know what color ....
put on it new bearings, and a RC4

used to have on for years. the best DH bike I owned.
really happy to come back :)
welcome back.. where exactly did you cracked the dw-DHR, front/rear/linkage? warranty?

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
what kind of headset do you have?
A custom one - 3 degrees :D
Every single lathe (milling) operator can make one for you and the best thing is the head tube is strong enough to handle such geo.
I am amazed by this bike ,it's so bloody strong it's unbelievable :P

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
A custom one - 3 degrees :D
Every single lathe (milling) operator can make one for you and the best thing is the head tube is strong enough to handle such geo.
I am amazed by this bike ,it's so bloody strong it's unbelievable :P
Friend of mine had a L size Sunday, exactly with a -3 degrees headset done by a milling operator (or whatever it's called). Beautifully managable bike, perfect geometry with the 62 HA, very stable at long fast descents. It was very sad he had to sell it. :(
Mine is with a -2 degrees headset but i'm planning on going yours and my friend's way to slacken it out a bit more. :)

Rocko

Chimp
Jan 11, 2009
nice!
do you have any drawing of this headset?
does it use a standard bearingset as the original e.13?
I think the large sunday is the perfect cheap "modern" dh frame, if you could slacken the HA angle.

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
nice!
I think the large sunday is the perfect cheap "modern" dh frame, if you could slacken the HA angle.
Sorry mate I do not have the drawings but just bring one normal 1.5 headset like Nukeproof ,Hope etc
It's completely standard and yes the L Sunday rulezz : )

Rocko

Chimp
Jan 11, 2009
if I want to buy a sencond hand fox rc4, how can I identify it is not from the fragile early series? (beside ask the seller)

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
nice!
Yep, i do have the drawing for the -3degrees headset, done specifically for a Sunday frame. but i'm not sure how to upload it here. If anyone needs it, i can provide it via e-mail, skype.... :) And it uses normal bearings - my friend made his headset around bearings taken from a FSA one. :)

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you can probably get close to that by running an angleset with two -1.5* cups. I ran two -1* cups to get -2* for a while on another frame.

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
you can probably get close to that by running an angleset with two -1.5* cups. I ran two -1* cups to get -2* for a while on another frame.
I think you are making a mistake in calculating your degrees.
You can't put one -1.5 on top and any different cup on the bottom of the headtube.
It wont work coz the steerer tube won't go through the top headset.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think you are making a mistake in calculating your degrees.
You can't put one -1.5 on top and any different cup on the bottom of the headtube.
It wont work coz the steerer tube won't go through the top headset.
Um wut

You run -1.5 up top, and +1.5 on bottom. Makes a more extreme angle. I used -1 and +1 for a year. Just reverse the bottom cup, instead of running a zero offset.

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
Does anyone here have a 7point large or medium front triangle for sale? Doesn't matter what year or color post it up or pm what ever is available

I got an Iron Horse MKIII and have a problem with it.
The mail pivot bolt can't be tightened, because the thread in the frame is washed out
Greg
Sorry I don't know the answer but I have a BNIB mkiii front triangle, 17" I can sell for 150, literally brand new never used

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Any body tried Double Barrel Air on a 6 point frame?
Every information is welcomed, thanks.
Having two stages of rebound are what really chirps-up the dw*link; dunno what quality open compression valving CCDB will exhibit, but my experience is like Dave Weagle has previously stated - that this suspension has a natural tendency for Compression damping.

If you truly want something custom and with the most adjustability, find a shock having Beginning and Ending Rebound adjustment and have the end-stroke stepped-up in Tune from base. That way finer tune of spring-rate can be found and used.

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
Any body tried Double Barrel Air on a 6 point frame?
Every information is welcomed, thanks.
ive got a CCDBA on my Large 6point right now. Had to add approx 1 band of bottom out in the can, and tweaked a bit, my current feeling on it is "Meh." I will give it a couple more months before making a decision. The shock works fairly well with HSC wide open and LSC 2-4 clicks in from wide open, i just more or less copied the setups that Mojo HD guys use. Rebound is about 7 clicks in from wide open. The shock does its job, but i was spoiled by Xfusion HLR coil and air shocks. I also sent the ccdba to suspension experts in asheville so they could tune it, and that helped a tiny bit but still does not hold a candle to the xfusions i had on there previously

Nholan

Chimp
Nov 19, 2013
Hi folks,

[FOR SALE]

Iron Horse Sunday 07 - Lower Linkage
* Very good condition / No play *

50€ ~ 68$

Will ship Globally for 10€ ~ 13$
Item location: France

Contact me for further information !

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I have an Iron Horse 6 Point, I just ordered a Vivid air for it with the M/M tune. I understand I should have a L/L tune instead? I have a couple questions..What exactly would the M/M tune do to the suspension characteristics that would make it unfavorable? Is it not possible at all to get the M/M to perform well? Shim stacks are cheap but I was trying to avoid tearing into an unfamiliar shock, although its definitely not out of my mechanical "skill set" if you will.

Also, I notice the Vivid has a tune for compression AND rebound...When i search for low tune shim stacks, I seem to only be able to find one option.

http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?id=BPC376368&gclid=CO3n_ens1LsCFWMV7Aod4mkApw

Is this the only thing I need to convert it to a low tune? I.E. is there two seperate shim stacks I would need to convert it to L/L? Any part numbers and links would be appreciated.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Potentially will make it better in the rough and on square edged hits. If the rebound is feeling sluggish even at full fast then it would probably aid that as well.

If you don't have either of those problems then by all means just ride it as-is. If there's any harshness try it with the external LSC all the way open first. The Vivid Air is a little bit finicky to work on, so I probably wouldn't bother unless you feel it needs improvement. If you hit the extremes of adjustment and still aren't happy then consider changing.