Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Taylor500

Chimp
Feb 14, 2014
Has anyone in the uk had their sunday resprayed? Who did you use? My sunday rocks but it just needs a new lick of paint. Can't wait to take it to whistler in the summer.

Rocko

Chimp
Jan 11, 2009
nice. but you could save a lot of work if you leave the old bearings in. like this:

Last edited:

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
nice. but you could save a lot of work if you leave the old bearings in. like this:
Without removing the bearings, it was totally impossible to part out the frame - all bearings were completely destroyed, some desintegrated in my hands after removal, this was the only way to get the lower link's axles out of the frame to part it out. :)
No problem - i've got professional help for the assembling. :)

Ribas

Chimp
Jan 29, 2010
I'm interested in buying a Iron Horse 6 point for enduro/all mountain. I have a 2008 Iron Horse Sunday and I love it, so there's my interest in building a good and cheap bike using this awesome frame.

But first I would like you to help me with some doubts:

- I'm 5'10, so between a large and a medium what should be the best size?
- Are there any differences (geometry, weight, etc) between its model years?
- Are there any current shock size available for this frame?
- Do you know any Large 2009 Black frame available for sale? Or the green 6 Point D.D.?

Thanks!

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
- I'm 5'10, so between a large and a medium what should be the best size?
- Are there any differences (geometry, weight, etc) between its model years?
- Are there any current shock size available for this frame?
- Do you know any Large 2009 Black frame available for sale? Or the green 6 Point D.D.?

Thanks!
1) Large, the top tube is short compared to other brands.
2) I read somewhere that the 2007 has slightly longer chainstays.
3) They use a 8.75 x 2.5 which is pretty hard to find. Most people use 8.75 x 2.75, which yields about 6.7 inches of rear wheel travel. Dave Weagle himself has said that using the 2.75 stroke shock is perfectly fine, he actually encourages it.
4) Good luck finding one, they are relatively hard to find. Especially one in good condition. I wouldn't limit yourself to color, just find the nicest large that you can.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
The 08 and 09 have 17.1 chainstays, the older ones are 17.3. I've also read that the 08-09s were lower and slacker, but I don't know what the numbers are. You can also run an 8.5x2.5 shock to lower and slacken it further.

Rider15

Chimp
Dec 13, 2008
The 08 and 09 have 17.1 chainstays, the older ones are 17.3. I've also read that the 08-09s were lower and slacker, but I don't know what the numbers are. You can also run an 8.5x2.5 shock to lower and slacken it further.
Pretty sure the Sunday frame didnt change much if at all from 2007 till whenever the finished production. Chainstays were 17.25 and HA was 65. Easier way to make it slacker and lower without hurting performance would be a -1 HA cup.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Pretty sure the Sunday frame didnt change much if at all from 2007 till whenever the finished production. Chainstays were 17.25 and HA was 65. Easier way to make it slacker and lower without hurting performance would be a -1 HA cup.
They're talking about a 6-Point. I had an '08 for a few years and wish I still had it. Great bike.

Ribas

Chimp
Jan 29, 2010
Thanks to all! :)

In case I find also a deal on a 2008 IH 7 point frame..
- It has almost an identical geometry to a 6 point. But about its weight and performance for enduro?
- On this frame, the correct size for me would be medium or large?

The 7 point seems to have a shock measure easier to find in new shocks, right? And seems to me that its geometry numbers are more in a pair with modern enduro geometry, no?

Thanks!

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
if you ride a medium sunday you should be on the medium '08 7point OR Large '07-older 7point. Both will meet modern geometry once you add a -1.5 or -2 degree headset.

No matter which front triangle, use the new rear end/links from a 6point or 08 7point for the shorter cs and improved geometry. if you ride a large sunday, your only choice would be a large 08 7point.

I love mine. almost bought another one just bc i love this thing so much

Ribas

Chimp
Jan 29, 2010
Thanks!

What about the weight? What's the real weight of a 2008 IH 7 point frame without the rear shock?
And what's the difference in weight between the 2008 7 point and the 2008/2009 6 point?
Using a 170mm (7") fork on a 7 point would match well the frame or would it be too low?
Is it hard to find new shocks with the measure used on the 7 point?

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
-08 7point (straight top tube) weighs about 1lb less than older 7point (bent top tube), due to the tubeset butting and the linkages/rear triangle/longer CS on the older one.

-08 7point weight about 0.4 lbs more than the 08 6point due the the larger OD tubeset

-if you run a 170mm fork on a 7point, use an external cup lower headset. im running a 1.5" steerer totem/avy cart on my 08 7point, and just ordered a custom Workscomponents headset, -1.5 deg for 1.5" straight steerer

-8.5" short shock on a 08 7point works great. it sucks on the 6point (dont believe the hype!)

-large older 7point with the newer rear end/linkages is a sick combo

Last edited:

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
Hi folks, just swap my pushed&TFtuned dhx 4.0 on RC4. Can anyone give me a start settings for it?
Heya mate
Depends how you ride : ) and what do you like
In general if you like a soft rear end
140 psi in the chamber
Max BO eg closed
LSC -2-3 clicks from open
HSC - 6-8 clicks from open for support
Rebound it's up to you
These settings are really nice and basically you cant feel anything under the bike it makes it so smooth :)
But as I said before it's so personal you just need to find your sweet spot mate
I am 65kg and I personally dont like it that softish . 300 lbs spring here but everyone who tries it say it's way too stiff :O
I opend the shock made the BO chamber even smaller than normal to give it even more BO resistance.
I run 150 psi
closed BO
LSC 10 clicks it makes the ride a bit dead but I don't like BO my bike from just pressing it in a berm or in a corner :D
HSC - 8 clicks
Rebound fastest possible without being bucked :P
Hopefully it helps : )

kuzlich

Chimp
Jan 25, 2013
Lisichansk, Ukraine
Snx dude, I really like to pump bike on the trail, so prefer a really "hard" settings.

My weight about 82kg, with Motul Factory Line 7.5w and 325lbs "BOS" spring:
LSC - 12 click's from fully open
HSC - 7 click's from fully open
3/4 of maximal possible preload
175psi
I set up minimal possible volume of bottom out chamber and fully closed bottom out.

As for me - works pretty cool.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
-08 7point (straight top tube) weighs about 1lb less than older 7point (bent top tube), due to the tubeset butting and the linkages/rear triangle/longer CS on the older one.

-08 7point weight about 0.4 lbs more than the 08 6point due the the larger OD tubeset

-if you run a 170mm fork on a 7point, use an external cup lower headset. im running a 1.5" steerer totem/avy cart on my 08 7point, and just ordered a custom Workscomponents headset, -1.5 deg for 1.5" straight steerer

-8.5" short shock on a 08 7point works great. it sucks on the 6point (dont believe the hype!)

-large older 7point with the newer rear end/linkages is a sick combo
Do you know the differences between the different model year 6 points? I have an 07, was wondering how they differed throughout the years

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Yeah, -2 headset is sweet on a Sunday, it really feels great. Had a regular headset on my Sunday first, with a single-crown fork, it felt.... well, so-so. Then switched to -2 with a double-crown - boy, what a difference. 'The frame becomes exactly the same as almost all modern frames, if not even better than some of them.
Had enough of the -2, now i'm waiting for my -3 headset to go even more extreme. ;)

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
Do you know the differences between the different model year 6 points? I have an 07, was wondering how they differed throughout the years
i ride a large 07 6point also, the 07 had steeper HTA. 08 was a little slacker. You may want to install a -1.5 deg works ec44 top cup/zs44bottom cup.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
i ride a large 07 6point also, the 07 had steeper HTA. 08 was a little slacker. You may want to install a -1.5 deg works ec44 top cup/zs44bottom cup.
that would require me to use a straight 1 1/8th steerer which I don't have on my fork, I am using tapered. will be installing a cane creek external cup on the bottom to accept the tapered steerer, the little extra stack height should slacken it a little, and with my lyrik in 170mm mode it should slacken it a bit further. hoping I can get a respectable number. also hoping it won't be a pig to trail ride!

Dsunday

Chimp
Nov 26, 2009
Yeah, -2 headset is sweet on a Sunday, it really feels great. Had a regular headset on my Sunday first, with a single-crown fork, it felt.... well, so-so. Then switched to -2 with a double-crown - boy, what a difference. 'The frame becomes exactly the same as almost all modern frames, if not even better than some of them.
Had enough of the -2, now i'm waiting for my -3 headset to go even more extreme. ;)
Have you got your -3 yet? is it a works components one? how much did it cost you?
Think Im going to go -3 too

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
Have you got your -3 yet? is it a works components one? how much did it cost you?
Mate have you tried the -2 ?
If no go for -2 first and if you are not happy then you can get some custom -3 cups.No one produce officially -3 cups :(
I am running the same cups and trust me you got to be on the front most of the time not to wash it out.
Also I am on a Large and sometimes it's real struggle in tight corners.
I had one run behind one mate who is with stock 65 degrees and only for 1-2 tight corners and he was like 1 sec ahead but when the steep bit came I was on his tail :D
What ever you choose it will be right : )

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Naaah, regretably not yet - the person that's supposed to produce them for me is messing around, doing other stuff on his job, so i am a little back on his list. Which is frustrating!!! >:(
It's a custom headset, it's not something you can buy in the shop, as stated above. As for cost, when done, it will be cheaper than any shop-headset. :)

Dsunday

Chimp
Nov 26, 2009
Mate have you tried the -2 ?
If no go for -2 first and if you are not happy then you can get some custom -3 cups.No one produce officially -3 cups :(
I am running the same cups and trust me you got to be on the front most of the time not to wash it out.
Also I am on a Large and sometimes it's real struggle in tight corners.
I had one run behind one mate who is with stock 65 degrees and only for 1-2 tight corners and he was like 1 sec ahead but when the steep bit came I was on his tail :D
What ever you choose it will be right : )

Cheers, ya i have -2 in for a few years now. On a small though not large.
Can't say i've had trouble with washing the front or tight corners. (45mm stem, flat crown boxxer, 35mm rise 780 renthals)

But i would like more high speed stability. guess its because im on a small.
Works Components do -3 degrees now. you just gotta ask

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
Cheers, ya i have -2 in for a few years now. On a small though not large.
Can't say i've had trouble with washing the front or tight corners. (45mm stem, flat crown boxxer, 35mm rise 780 renthals)

But i would like more high speed stability. guess its because im on a small.
Works Components do -3 degrees now. you just gotta ask
what is your height? How long is wheelbase with 62ha?

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
what is your height? How long is wheelbase with 62ha?
If that's a question towards abt wheelbase on Large Sunday : )
I am 5''11 or 180 -65-68 kg with gear.The WB it's 1208 mm and 338 mm BB.The thing is if you are not on it that day you will struggle with head angle like that. You need to be on the front most of the time.It works for me but I gave it to some mates and they had the feeling of going OTB .It's just personal thing and you gotta try it

By the way guys
I am very curious how you have your susp setup ? Is it like more on the plush side or stiffer and more playful ?
I have an RC4 on the back and made the chamber even smaller than standard and installed a couple of shimz as well , running 300lbs and 160 psi and quite a lot of compression as well 10LSC and 6 HSC.Now I can feel the shock working on big hits and skipping over the small chatter which I quite like.It carries speed much better
Cheers

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I never read this thread but has anyone mentioned the possible release of a carbon replacement front triangle from Zelvy?

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Has anyone seen this possible carbon front triangle replacement from Zelvy? It is mentioned on several different places and that's it.... With a possible price tag of 1000 bucks.

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
Has anyone seen this possible carbon front triangle replacement from Zelvy? It is mentioned on several different places and that's it.... With a possible price tag of 1000 bucks.
It's worth it especially if it will drop 0.5 kg :D
Love this bike yesterday was asked if something happens to my bike what I will get and the answer is Sunday XL :D