Quantcast

the tax return thread

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so its about that time of year again! For those of us getting back from Uncle Sam this year (who I think has now become the crazy drunk uncle), how much are you getting (if you're willing to share that tidbit of info), but more importantly what do you plan on doing with it???

Myself, I'm getting $3940 back. A portion of that is going towards a brand new TV - Samsung DLP 67" with a 7.1 surround system (gotta start researching that). Liz and I decided that's something we really want and are gonna split the cost. We're going that large because most of what we watch is movies, and want the home theater experience. The remaining amount is going to pay off debt.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
A little into savings for a vacation in April and the remainder going to fund next bike build. Already received the I9s and set of Hope X2s.

67" (!) that's ephing huge kranked.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i paid off all my credit cards. no credit card debt for the first time in 10 years. feels amazing.
I only have one credit card. But I still have college loans.

67" (!) that's ephing huge kranked.
Not really. They don't start getting ridiculous till you hit the upper 70's" in size. Mitsubishi makes a 103", and someone else is coming out with a 150". Besides, I'm a pretty big movie buff. 80% of what I do with a TV is watch movies, and video games accounts for 19.9%. Regular TV I watch very little of.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We got our refund already and paid bills with it. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but I do know we *should* consider changing our W4's. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Getting a few grand. It is getting put into the bank due to the strong chance of being unemployed in the near future.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We got our refund already and paid bills with it. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but I do know we *should* consider changing our W4's. :D
I should change mine too, but I'm just not quite responsible enough with my money. I'm getting there tho. Also I moved across country again, which accounts for a pretty subsstantial chunk of my refund.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I should change mine too, but I'm just not quite responsible enough with my money. I'm getting there tho. Also I moved across country again, which accounts for a pretty subsstantial chunk of my refund.
We kind of like getting the nice refund. I am surprised no one has posted in this thread yet preaching about how letting the gub'met hold your money is a bad idea. :D

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
A portion of that is going towards a brand new TV - Samsung DLP 67" with a 7.1 surround system (gotta start researching that).
why not just go for the 56" Samsung that 6ave is selling for $888.
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAMHL56A650

and dont waste your time on 7.1. A 5.1 is more than enough for your place.

call me bitch, before you waste yer money.
i also got a present for you.

Last edited:

dancorley

Chimp
Apr 20, 2008
Colorado
So my Uncle Sam savings account $$$ is going to some bills, house projects, and....Morewood Izimu! Boxxer, CCDB, Avids, etc, etc! New-to-me, video walk around looked great, should be here next week!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Nine K is what we are getting, and we are paying off credit cards of coarse...... then we are buying a new kitchen, and a new gate outside, and getting the ac working. Leftovers will go to savings

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
We have to pay $565 but get back $700 from the state. Can that be right? :think:

How the F' are yall getting so much bacK?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I've always done contract work on the side and I've never paid taxes till the end of the year on that money, so I always owed. This year the wife didn't work and we are getting money back for the first time...we got back just shy of $3k. Most, if not all, of that money will be invested.

<edit> Dirtymike, you just gave uncle same an interest free loan of $9k..you should adjust so they don't take so much out

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
why not just go for the 56" Samsung that 6ave is selling for $888.
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAMHL56A650

and dont waste your time on 7.1. A 5.1 is more than enough for your place.

call me bitch, before you waste yer money.
i also got a present for you.
That's a good price for a TV, but its not LED based. I don't wanna have to spend that much on a TV then have to replace the lamp a few years down the road.

When you gonna be in Jersey again?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
why are you anti-bulb? both technologies will be gone before the middle of this year anyway. theres nothing wrong with a bulb. you do have to replace them every few years, yes...but if youre worried about that, then just get the LaserVue from Mitsu.

im here now, but leaving tonight for a dealer show. ill be back sunday.
call me later woman

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
how many of you know people that wait till the dead last minute to turn everything in?
i know of 1 family..they either wait till the last hour, or get an extension.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Dunno exactly yet but probably a bit more than last year so I suspect a couple-grand. Half will go towards a new laminate hardwood floor (small house) and the rest either to pay off credit cards or into savings.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got my first refund 2 weeks ago, I file my amended return next month to claim my $8k (not a loan) new home buyer credit.

I was going to claim the $7500 loan, but the $8k credit is not a loan and starts after the 4th.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Mortgage + property taxes + donations + state income taxes= sizable deduction
Fixed. Owning a house is teh awesome!

We got back a good-sized chunk of change, and aside from some small things for the house (guest bed, dining room set off of CL) it's all going into savings of some sort or other. Oh, and a really, really nice steak dinner. Yes, we're boring...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well... if you owe money, then turning it in at the last moment is the SMART thing to do. :clue:
hmm.... well good point. i guess since i never owed anything, i always wanted to get my money asap.

Yea well, I was lazy. And I wasn't making as much money as I do now (keep in mind I will have been out of college for 2 years exactly as of March 1st).
damn whipper snappers.