Quantcast

The "wherethefuckdoesthisbelonganyway" thread

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
that's why you should remember to wear your plastic ass plug when flying

/tmyk
there is a possibility that things which don’t appear to be metal might have metal below the surface.

also, use silicone not plastic, unless you’re the type of person who gets piercings done with a gun at Claire’s in the mall.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
there is a possibility that things which don’t appear to be metal might have metal below the surface.

also, use silicone not plastic, unless you’re the type of person who gets piercings done with a gun at Claire’s in the mall.
I'm just gonna go ahead and take your word for it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What else do you do with stupid money?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
What else do you do with stupid money?

Oh noes, I'm having to prepare for the end of the world as we know it that I am actively to helping to cause. :butcher:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Brenna Bell, co-leader of the Shade Equity Coalition, which lobbies the city to more aggressively plant trees, fears that incidents of trees crushing homes and cars in the past two weeks will cause Portlanders to see trees as threats—not assets.

“I’m kind of afraid that people are going to look askance at trees after this weather event,” Bell says. “Danger comes from everywhere. You could have a door from an airplane fall on your house, you just never know

I mean, she’s not wrong…

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
“Removal will significantly affect neighborhood character, based on the tree’s attributes, visibility of the tree to the public, or past removals of trees in the area,” the city’s letter read. “Tree appears healthy and not dead, dying or dangerous at the time of inspection; tree is [more than 10 feet] from an attached structure.”

Now, the Bonds are without a home, and the city is requiring them to ask for a retroactive removal permit for the tree that fell. Plus, the Bonds will have to plant a new tree in its place.

“I have to pay them for their approval to remove the stump of the tree that destroyed our house that they denied us a permit on,” Sarah Bond says. “I am in complete disbelief.”

facepalmgif.gif

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Pour one out for the Sandy Jug.

I believe that was the first club I went to after moving here in '93.

At least their keeping it in the family of debauchery to some degree. I know that building, didn't realize it was for jugs.

Is everything surrounding portland just pre-luxury condo these days?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
At least their keeping it in the family of debauchery to some degree. I know that building, didn't realize it was for jugs.

Is everything surrounding portland just pre-luxury condo these days?
A little bit. They changed the city rules about buildings, so now they can build up to 5 stories. So you buy a couple houses, doze them, and put up a 10 plex or so. Each goes for about $2500 a month. It's like printing money or something.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A little bit. They changed the city rules about buildings, so now they can build up to 5 stories. So you buy a couple houses, doze them, and put up a 10 plex or so. Each goes for about $2500 a month. It's like printing money or something.
Funny. The bistate agency that's supposed to keep tahoe blue™ just changed their zoning laws to do the same thing (literally the same thing with the 5 story deal).

This place is about to get real stupid

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Funny. The bistate agency that's supposed to keep tahoe blue™ just changed their zoning laws to do the same thing (literally the same thing with the 5 story deal).

This place is about to get real stupid
When my grandson was born, my son had a sweet place on Division and 38 or so. Right across the street was an amazing food cart pod with literally everything.

Developer bought the lot and built a huge multi unit spot with a tiny garage taking the ground floor because there is no parking down there.

That's the issue with all the construction by my office. They are putting in several hundred apartments and the road going there is a tiny 2 lane road. Getting in and out will be a shit show and we may not renew our lease here because of it.

All the brown in now apartments.

Screenshot_20240126-091712.png

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
“Removal will significantly affect neighborhood character, based on the tree’s attributes, visibility of the tree to the public, or past removals of trees in the area,” the city’s letter read. “Tree appears healthy and not dead, dying or dangerous at the time of inspection; tree is [more than 10 feet] from an attached structure.”

Now, the Bonds are without a home, and the city is requiring them to ask for a retroactive removal permit for the tree that fell. Plus, the Bonds will have to plant a new tree in its place.

“I have to pay them for their approval to remove the stump of the tree that destroyed our house that they denied us a permit on,” Sarah Bond says. “I am in complete disbelief.”

View attachment 206762
When I looked at the city records for my house someone filed a complaint when the previous owner cut a tree down whose roots were destroying the concrete steps and retaining wall and was going after the foundation of the house. The only reason a fine wasn't levied is that the property is too small to fit under the tree rules.

My neighbor has a bunch of closely growing doug firs that will eventually end up on top of my house as they are all furiously growing tall thin trunks fighting for sunlight. It doesn't matter what the city thinks as the neighbor will not touch them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
When I looked at the city records for my house someone filed a complaint when the previous owner cut a tree down whose roots were destroying the concrete steps and retaining wall and was going after the foundation of the house. The only reason a fine wasn't levied is that the property is too small to fit under the tree rules.

My neighbor has a bunch of closely growing doug firs that will eventually end up on top of my house as they are all furiously growing tall thin trunks fighting for sunlight. It doesn't matter what the city thinks as the neighbor will not touch them.
This place used to be like that. Every uppity neighbor and agency would lose their everloving shit if someone cut down a pine tree on their property.

...........then the reality of wildfires in california bitchslapped everyone back onto planet earth

You can actually get reimbursed now for cutting trees over a roofline that 10 years ago you would have gone to jail over

California has this image of progressive environmental yadda yadda but at the end of the day it is at its core, a place made to keep rich property owners happy. The secret is just being rich enough to convince someone your private boat ramp is ecological beneficial

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This place used to be like that. Every uppity neighbor and agency would lose their everloving shit if someone cut down a pine tree on their property.

...........then the reality of wildfires in california bitchslapped everyone back onto planet earth

You can actually get reimbursed now for cutting trees over a roofline that 10 years ago you would have gone to jail over

California has this image of progressive environmental yadda yadda but at the end of the day it is at its core, a place made to keep rich property owners happy. The secret is just being rich enough to convince someone your private boat ramp is ecological beneficial
You can't cut a tree down around here, but nor do you have to clean up the leaves and rotting apples they drop either. In the fall there are some streets where you need AWD to pass because you are driving on several inches of rotting organic slime. That shit just causes flooding when it actually rains hard and the 1 drain we have every 3 square miles clogs.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Almost zero speed enforcement anywhere doesn't help this.

People who are doing 70mph+ though central Denver on I-70 in the 55 likely feel the same about doing similar on surface streets imo.
This is true statewide in my experience, and I suspect is true nation wide as well.

Enforcement is also up, with a team of state troopers stationed in parts of the state to target impaired driving and various campaigns to warn against dangerous driving behaviors, including aggressive driving, he said.
I'd like to know exactly where this is going on, because it sure as shit isn't happening in El Paso county.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Almost zero speed enforcement anywhere doesn't help this.

People who are doing 70mph+ though central Denver on I-70 in the 55 likely feel the same about doing similar on surface streets imo.
some teenager driving to the high school a mile away nearly hit me and kiddo 3 on the BRIGHT ORANGE cargo bike this morning, on my local street just outside my house.

(once I cross this small street I'm on paths for the next few miles. usually it isn't fraught with such danger.)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Before the wife got all sober and shit, we used to frequent a few wineries in the gorge and were a member at a few for the discounts. Not like my folks were, but we were supportive.