Quantcast

think that Miatas are girl cars?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Toshi said:
no, it shows that your collective criteria for defining what is a "chick car" are stupid. beetle w/flower vase? sure. cabrio with no power, handling, or just about anything going for it? sure. but the miata? it's just small.

is it a chick car because it's the opposite of a lifted F350? if the lifted truck owner suffers from "little man syndrome" shouldn't miata drivers be proverbial julius irvings?
Um, defensive much? I don't care what it's got under the hood, my criteria is what it is. We all draw our own lines and in my opinion the miata is a chick car. So? If you are such a pimp why do you care?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
If you look up machismo in an imaginary "car dictionary" what vehicle would there be a picture of, not a Miata.

:)

They are small, but under powered for a "sports car" . Or they used to be. The light weight make for great handling but the power isn't there (stock) for 99% (the ones that are not spec racing) of the miatas owners out there to brag.

Can you make a Miata fast? sure. But they can make Beatles fast too. They can make old Vega's move like a bat out of hell.

But a "miata" is still a chick car... Not that there is anything wrong with that....;)

Rhino

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so far in this thread we've seen plenty of cars that will drop your social status in the minds of the unthinking masses: miatas, jettas, porsches, ferraris, "rice burners" like the one i drive, big trucks, camaros +/- mullet, etc.

this brings up a question: can a car only degrade your standing in the mind of joe sixpack? is anonymity, through driving a horrible domestic car, the most one can hope for?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Toshi said:
so far in this thread we've seen plenty of cars that will drop your social status in the minds of the unthinking masses: miatas, jettas, porsches, ferraris, "rice burners" like the one i drive, big trucks, camaros +/- mullet, etc.

this brings up a question: can a car only degrade your standing in the mind of joe sixpack? is anonymity, through driving a horrible domestic car, the most one can hope for?
Apparently you seem pretty hung up on this as opposed to not caring. I'd give you a shoulder to cry on but that would be too girly. I need to go get in my boring domestic car to drive home now.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if i was really hung up on this i wouldn't make fun of my own car (not a miata, thank you, although i would drive one if i could fit my junk into one <-- yes, double entendre intended :D). i just think this is a more interesting topic than discussing gas prices ad nauseum or what color our posting status indicator is... :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The only thing worse than a dude driving a Miata is a dude driving a Miata who says the world just don't understand them.
They like to use the word enthusiasts too.

If I drove a Miata because they were fun to drive, then I sure as hell would not give 2 $hits what Joe Sixpack thought or anybody else on this forum.

Its the "I don't drive a chick car Dammit!" routine that makes them so point and laughable.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
how many of you have actually watched the video in the first post? watch the first few minutes! it truly is awesome, miatas or not.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Toshi said:
how many of you have actually watched the video in the first post? watch the first few minutes! it truly is awesome, miatas or not.
I will when I get home, Websense is blocking it here.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Toshi said:
No, some cars will improve your standing in the minds of people who confuse material possession with status or personal attributes. To anyone who is confused like that, driving a plain and boring car will be taken as evidence that the driver is also plain and boring. I think it's partly a product of media hype but regardless it's there.

But it's a trap. The same car that impresses one person will be laughed at by another as either boring, over-the-top, too expensive, or whatever. Solution? Stop caring what other people think and make your decision based on what you want. If what you want is to project a certain image, fine.

FWIW, I drive a stock cherokee. Please oh please I hope you like me. :)

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Toshi said:
I think the big difference here is racing vs. daily driving. If I wanted to race right now, I'd rock a miata or an old civic or some other sh1tbox any day because its fun as hell for cheap, but I'd never have one for a daily driver.

Is your car an STi? I done can't remember...

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Smurf blue is fastest!

Spec Miatas are a real blast to drive even though they are low HP cars. They're the most popular momentum cars at the track and the Spec Miata class is huge and very competitive.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
SilentJ said:
Is your car an STi? I done can't remember...
nope, it started out life as a wrx, and has a medium sized turbo + supporting mods, coilovers, upgraded brakes/wheels/tires, short ratio rally-spec gearset. the only real differences are looks, resale value :dead: , reliability, 5 vs. 6 speed, lack of low end torque, and that my car puts down more high rpm power while weighing less :D .

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
jimmydean said:
Super beetles are not "bugs" at all. A bug has a steel dash, no heat, shocks (not struts) and a flat windshield for reduced aerodynamics.
My dash is flat and metal, the heater is gone, ok I have struts, and the curved widsheild didn't start until '73

:)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
jimmydean said:
Super beetles are not "bugs" at all. A bug has a steel dash, no heat, shocks (not struts) and a flat windshield for reduced aerodynamics.
Like so.....

Ooooppss...wrong pic..