Quantcast

Third Annual BEACON BLOWOUT DH Race

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Another thing to keep in mind, and I am probably a little off on this, is the National Championship (not to be confused with NORBA series champion) is a requirement by the UCI.
It is a one day event and is restricted to US citizens only.
The NORBA series events are open to anyone with a NORBA license or a UCI recognized international license.

I believe the NC race is scheduled early in the season as that is required by the UCI and has to do with the World Championships. I am fuzzy on the particulars.
I know in years past the NC was later in the year but was changed to be inline with the rest of the UCI countries. They might even be on the same weekend across the globe? Although That would seem strange to have the NC for a southern hemisphere country have their NC in the middle of their winter?
Again, fuzzy...

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
We're aiming to get one of the Fluidride Cups appointed the State Championships. I feel Port Angeles, and Mt. Hood best represent true NW terrain and conditions. Nothing against Beacon, but a DH champion of any sort, should be crowned by prevailing on true DH terrain.

Thoughts???
Don't get me wrong, I am all for the FR cup series.
But, how is any one terrain any more "true" than the other?
Geographically speaking, there is more "east" than "west" in either WA or OR (I think?). And I would think that the Beacon course might be a good representation of what the "east" has to offer.

I would think the state champs should be held at the venue with the ability to attract the most participants. The more people you beat, the more credible your "championship" is.
So this year, it should be Beacon (based on last years attendance) and next year will be open for debate.
Or first come (request the SC), first serve?

$.02

PS; Hood is in OR and should not be considered for the WA SC. Technically speaking of course.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Don't get me wrong, I am all for the FR cup series.
But, how is any one terrain any more "true" than the other?
Geographically speaking, there is more "east" than "west" in either WA or OR (I think?). And I would think that the Beacon course might be a good representation of what the "east" has to offer.

I would think the state champs should be held at the venue with the ability to attract the most participants. The more people you beat, the more credible your "championship" is.
So this year, it should be Beacon (based on last years attendance) and next year will be open for debate.
Or first come (request the SC), first serve?

$.02

PS; Hood is in OR and should not be considered for the WA SC. Technically speaking of course.
You could also argue that it should be the venue closest to the largest population center. Being 2hrs from the 8 million people who live in the puget sound, should count for something. While Beacon is a fun course, I don't think of it as true DH. It's sub 2min, and you can run semi-slick 2.35 tires and win.

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
Good points TH.

For some reason I always associate Hood with Washington.

I don't want to exclude the eastern parts of the state, and even Id. from the NW stigma.
But I guarantee you if you ask any rider out of the region what they think of, when asked about the PNW- They picture mud, rocks, rain, and roots. Now wether or not this is actually the case about the entire NW, it is what the majority like to think. Even though it may not be true.

If the rider count at this weekends shuttle day was any indication of what we can expect at the races, it should be held in consideration compared to the last few years Beacon turnout.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
The geocentric snobbishness of the Puget Sound Basin is alive and rampant I see. It's really kind of funny the talk about having it where the greatest population is: let's see now, the best places to ride in King and Snohomish Counties are: B.C., Oregon, the Olympic Penninsula and Eastern Washington. Yeah.

Gopher

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
Spokane WA
Simon everybody is stoked for the FR cup. Next year will be intense. Im really looking forward to seeing some more race's run better like the hood series. P.S. impromptu berm slashing is a must. Im about it.

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
I guess what I was trying to say was that too many people forget that Ea. Wa. and Id. etc are part of the NW as well, myself included.
Hell I tried to include Hood as a potential venue for the Wa. state champs!

I just feel that now there is another DH race in Wa. we have another option for the Championships to take place.
Don't get me wrong I love racing Beacon, however the fact that I don't have to think about bringing an alternate to my semi-slicks, is questionable.

The geocentric snobbishness of the Puget Sound Basin is alive and rampant I see. It's really kind of funny the talk about having it where the greatest population is: let's see now, the best places to ride in King and Snohomish Counties are: B.C., Oregon, the Olympic Penninsula and Eastern Washington. Yeah.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I guess what I was trying to say was that too many people forget that Ea. Wa. and Id. etc are part of the NW as well, myself included.
Hell I tried to include Hood as a potential venue for the Wa. state champs!

I just feel that now there is another DH race in Wa. we have another option for the Championships to take place.
Don't get me wrong I love racing Beacon, however the fact that I don't have to think about bringing an alternate to my semi-slicks, is questionable.
I just had to give you a bad time; I'm an escapee from the west side myself. Thanks for stepping up and bringing more racing to the state.

I guess we'll just have to see how it shakes out. Hope I can catch at least one race over at PA this year.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
To me, location has nothing to do with a state championship. The date however does. I would love to see a season ender as the state championship.

Though it is oddly neat to potentially be able to sign up for a race mid-june with the title of state champion under your belt already for that season :)

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Chris and WSE can host an event some other weekend (which they have been talking about anyway) that can include a slalom. There will be no slalom on the weekend of the Beacon Blowout. Period.
If the race isn't going to make use of the facilities beacon has, I most likely won't be there. remember, from seattle it is 5 hours to spokane, or 5 hours to whistler. for 10 dollars more, I'd rather ride a chairlift and long trails, than pay almost as much money to hike for a 2 minute race run.

Kyle,

Wigga

Monkey
Jul 27, 2004
kirkland
um having it near where most the population is, that would just be logical.

and those are great places to ride (well some of them...), but you are sadly mistaken if you think there are no good places to ride out west. and eastern washington should definitely not be included in that list of places, i have lived on both sides and the riding is better on the left. rocks, roots, trees, mud, mountains or dust?

not trying to hate on you, i am all for racing at beacon and thankful that you guys made it happen, but come on now

Gopher

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
Spokane WA
If the race isn't going to make use of the facilities beacon has, I most likely won't be there. remember, from seattle it is 5 hours to spokane, or 5 hours to whistler. for 10 dollars more, I'd rather ride a chairlift and long trails, than pay almost as much money to hike for a 2 minute race run.

Kyle,
I second that the ds course is solid and should be raced. I for one would rather go to silver or mt spokane for that price. Plus it will be super hot and track condtions will be mach moon dusty... gross

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)

Kyle,
word. ill be in seattle on vacation from england and was gonna bring my bike for beacon, but whistler would me more fun once you consider cost, 1 race run and distance.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I walked the possible extension with Dan W. today and it apepeared to have some real possibilities, like a nice little three-step drop down; unfortunately there is no good way to tie it back into the bottom of the course. Gonna have to have a powow with Tim and Gino.

Wigga said:
but you are sadly mistaken if you think there are no good places to ride out west . . .
Oh, I know that there a lot of great places there; I was just making the point that the places most people over there rave about most often are places not in King or Snohomish counties.

And as far as what's better that's strictly a matter of personal preference. Myself, I like the same type of terrain I did when I rode/raced dirt bikes: high-speed open pine forest. But that's just me; YMMV.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
yea, why did this turn into such a big internet boner show?? Just go ride your ****ing bikes and quit giving people who try ****, otherwise this sport will die.

:) just my buck thirty two
I love DH racing, and I am excited to see it's comeback after the WIM series died........may be some of you remember that painful death.

Beacon has it's limitations, but with the right format and appropriate scheduling can still be an awesome event that I would travel too, and spend my money at.

Since I as an avid DH racer in PNW do not feel the desire to attend this yr, I though it would be helpful to at least voice my gripes, instead of just shutting up and not attending. It's called communication!

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I really just wish it included the slalom. you know it's bad when your slalom is almost as long as your DH course.

I also wish the date was earlier.beacon will be so dried out by june. the beacon race needs to be in april before sea otter. that is when it would be best. the hill would be moist and the trails would be prime, instead of the 100 degree dust pit that will happen in june.

Kyle,

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Since I as an avid DH racer in PNW do not feel the desire to attend this yr, I though it would be helpful to at least voice my gripes, instead of just shutting up and not attending. It's called communication!
So if you can complain about the beacon race, why can't others complain about "a certain bike shop?"

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
So if you can complain about the beacon race, why can't others complain about "a certain bike shop?"

I thought about this, and I don't have a good answer. It might have been more appropriate to PM Minor Threat. There is a difference however. I am not claiming they "ripped me off" or had horrible cs, or whatever with little or no chance of them defending themselves. I stated the reasonswhy I may not show up this yr w/ hope that they may alter the venue to accommodate or at the very least have the tools to do so, DIRECTLY TO THE PROMOTER WHO POSTED ON THIS THREAD, Who has a fair chance to retort if they feel it's needed. Constructive Criticism imho vs Bashing.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Anybody who has specific questions/concerns is always welcome to PM me. I may not always have a good answer but I will always be straight up that I don't or work at getting you one if it's possible.

On a further note, I just want to say that I too have felt uncomfortable with only being able to offer a one-run format and am working on a way to change that. Things are not gelled yet enough to make an official announcement; but it is looking like it is very possible that we will be able to do a "best-of" two-run format, where we throw out the lower of your two times and base placing on your best run.

As far as dual slalom, there won't be a DS race. If people want to have some grudge-match fun on it, it doesn't look like there will be any problem with that - - as long as you don't use the full runout all the way down into the finish area flat.

The first of June should be fine at Beacon. We quite often get a lot of moisture around then - - just ask any kid here who got out of school around then after the false promises of May weather ;)

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I thought about this, and I don't have a good answer. It might have been more appropriate to PM Minor Threat. There is a difference however. I am not claiming they "ripped me off" or had horrible cs, or whatever with little or no chance of them defending themselves. I stated the reasonswhy I may not show up this yr w/ hope that they may alter the venue to accommodate or at the very least have the tools to do so, DIRECTLY TO THE PROMOTER WHO POSTED ON THIS THREAD, Who has a fair chance to retort if they feel it's needed. Constructive Criticism imho vs Bashing.
I agree with this Reasoning!

Just my 2-cents: actually it may be about a nickels worth. It makes no sense to bash a bike shop, or someone that puts their time into a ride spot or event. For that matter, throw in those of us who obviously spend time and money on bike related media. You don't like, don't go, don't buy, don't participate. It's your time and dollar. However, telling someone what you would like to see in their shop, or as a part of their event, etc. is truly Constructive Criticism.

However, in my experience with Bones Over Metal, I have a couple of times received this sort of Criticism, and when I don't act on that Criticism in the way the Critic seems is appropriate, I then get this attitude directed toward me that I don't listen or take Criticism.

Just because you can offer a suggestion or lay down some excellent Criticism, doesn't mean that it works for the person responsible for managing the resources available. The one maximum that comes into mind in this regard is, "Those who can do, and those who can't criticize."

In other words, those who get things done often find a balance between perfect and unacceptable. Those who critique, only focus on the perfect. While it's great to strive for that, it's usually impossible to attain, or sustain.

So, please leave the bike shops alone! This should be sacred territory. They are the hub of our sport, so to speak.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
From the stories about the bike shop, though, it sounds like they are making some constructive criticism, because the customer service is DEstructive to their reputation. There is no reason to let anybody, bike shop owner or not, get away with screwing people over and doing nothing about it.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
From the stories about the bike shop, though, it sounds like they are making some constructive criticism, because the customer service is DEstructive to their reputation. There is no reason to let anybody, bike shop owner or not, get away with screwing people over and doing nothing about it.
While this seems like a fair argument, most of what gets said is usually personal attacks from people who feel their idea of how a bike shop should be was challenged.

Also, how could these guys have stayed in business this long, in a small market for a niche sport, if they didn't serve a good amount of their customers properly.

If they are truly being criminal, well then... but, in every case I have seen on this Forum, it's a matter of personal opinion of how they think they should be treated. I say this as someone who didn't like the way I was treated once when I went in there, and have never gone back.

But, I've been clear with myself, that it's a matter of my idea of customer service vs theirs, not one to be based about loosely by angry people on a forum. IMHO, that kind of Criticism only hurts and fracture's the local industry.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
i get what you're saying, but I'm glad that i've heard these stories so i don't make the same mistake as those people (which is unfortunate for the business I guess.)

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
REVISED INFO - - Details have been worked out and changes have been made. It will be a TWO-RUN format, with the best of your two timed runs counting toward your final placing. The course will remain the same as last year. I'm reposting the revised info below. I will get the Active.com registration activated as quickly as I can; thank you for your support and your patience.

Bicycle Butler's Third Annual
BEACON BLOWOUT
Downhill Race

Sunday, June 1 • 10 am
Camp Sekani • Spokane, WA
(Beacon Hill • 6707 E. Upriver Drive)
Practices: Saturday, 10 am - 5 pm • Sunday, 8 - 9:30 am
*** Sorry, no shuttles for this event***

ENTRY FEE:
$35
:thumb: $28 ONLINE
:thumb:
($25+$3 service fee)
SAVE $7!

This will be a TWO-RUN, 'BEST-TIME' FORMAT this year (best of your two timed runs counts)
on the same course as the previous Blowouts

Three ways to register:

• Online at Active.com •

• By mail •
[Download entry form HERE]

• On-site Sat. only: 10 am - 5 pm •

NO LATE FEES
Absolutely NO DAY-OF-RACE Registrations!
(One-day NORBA licenses will be available on-site)

NORBA Sanctioning / Points

Questions?

Call Bicycle Butler at (509) 328-7475 or
E-mail: spokes@bicyclebutler.com

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I knew someone was going to ask me that! That might not get decided until we lay out the course. I lean toward including the rock drop like last year. There was some grousing about it last year, but, personally I kind of like it. The only reason we may do the other route is if it's too cumbersome to do a good beginner ride-around for the drop without adding a new line (we are trying to be be good stewards and not undo the FTTRC's good work).

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I knew someone was going to ask me that! That might not get decided until we lay out the course. I lean toward including the rock drop like last year. There was some grousing about it last year, but, personally I kind of like it. The only reason we may do the other route is if it's too cumbersome to do a good beginner ride-around for the drop without adding a new line (we are trying to be be good stewards and not undo the FTTRC's good work).
I like the older line better. I think it is a more fun/challenging route with some cool lines. (ie, I have a good line down it :D )

Kyle,

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
another vote for the old line. i hate having to either slow down or flat bottom the rock drop, and the other line just flows better. prejumping the stepdown in to that rock mound/turn and having a bunch of speed into the last section is tits!