Quantcast

This anti war protestor (hippie) got it.

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
Originally posted by shifty S
look slike a rubber bullet to the face. thats what cops like to give people who oppose violence in california these days.
thats just wrong, doing something in peace get a violent reprocussion.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
look slike a rubber bullet to the face. thats what cops like to give people who oppose violence in california these days.
The protests in San Francisco have gotten WAY out of line, they are causing unnecessary traffic backups its absolutly rediculous.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I heard on the news that cops were using wooden dowels shot out of whatever at the protestors...apparently yer only supposed to "riquoche" the dowel off the ground not aim directly. Either way that's pretty messed up...I don't wish that kind of pain on anyone.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
This particular protest was in Oakland. Protesters were blocking vehicle traffic to a port facility at which supplies were being shipped to our troops in Iraq. An argument could be made that by blocking said shipment they were giving aid and comfort to the enemy.
But that was not the issue that escalated the conflict between protesters and Police.
When Oakland PD arrived to break up the "peaceful" demonstration, protesters assaulted the officers with rocks, bottles, bolts, and rail-road spikes pulled from the ties of a rail line leading through the port.
Oakland Mayor and former Democratic Presidential candidate Jerry Brown (one of the biggest hippies in the state) supports the actions of his Police officers.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Hate to break it to you but this picture is obviously photoshopped. The shadowing on her cheek is dodged an burned into oblivion and the injuries have serious pixelation around the edges under magnification. To have caused a welt that large would have bruised her severely and easily broken her jaw.

BTW - part of riot control training in the military is having things that you would use against a crowd - used against you.

I have been shot with wax bullets, the baton rounds, the rubber pellets (those REALLY sucked), and been exposed to tear gas and been sprayed with pepper spray.

None of the non-lethal rounds will cause such a wound - I know.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Originally posted by Ranger
Servus!

Hate to break it to you but this picture is obviously photoshopped. The shadowing on her cheek is dodged an burned into oblivion and the injuries have serious pixelation around the edges under magnification. To have caused a welt that large would have bruised her severely and easily broken her jaw.
Look where the pic is linked from and think again ;)

splat

Nam I am
Ok , lets say it is a real undoctored photo.

who is to say that it was a Rubber bullet /dowel fired by police ? It might have been something the protesters were throwing at police that hit her instead, or she got kicked in the melle. there are lots of things going on that may have caused such an injury.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
...it, but that is the kind of thing that happens when mobs form. I have even seen pot rallys turn violent...and I know how improbable that sounds. There is a certain segment of the population with anarchistic tendencies that use otherwise peaceful protests to shroud their instigation of riotous behavior. It is really amazing to see in action. These troublemakers and hooligans attend protests, sporting events, marches and any other large gatherings of people so that when they start burning trashcans and smashing storefronts, they can get their "fix" with a minimal chance of being apprehended. Sadly, these types are usually savvy enough to escape retribution so the person they hide behind while hurling the bottle gets hit with the rubber bullet.:angry:

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA

I have been shot with wax bullets, the baton rounds, the rubber pellets (those REALLY sucked), and been exposed to tear gas and been sprayed with pepper spray.

:eek: :eek: :eek: care to elaborate?

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
Hmm I wonder what other countries use violence against protesters of their actions??? Think about things before you say you support them or the outcome of your protest. This is America, the greatest country to live in but I hate when protesters get out of hand (violence does get violent attention) but even worse when our authorities get out of hand. IMO the actions of the police were way out of line.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Servus!

BTW - part of riot control training in the military is having things that you would use against a crowd - used against you.

That is an Associated Press photo, I doubt they are going to risk their reputation and possible lawsuits for something like that.

Paul Sakuma is the photographer.

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
good. i hate these anti war protesters. i am all for self expression and free speach, and i rarely use that word (hate), but once the bullets start flying, shut up with the anti war movement, or pack up for france.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Does someone have the original link to the story or somewhere that I can see that it's an official AP photo? The picture looks mighty suspicious to me but I'm not one to shy away from being incorrect. If it's the real thing, than it's the real thing.

Incubus - nothing to elaborate on. Part of the qualification for using non-lethal rounds (at least in my unit in Korea) was to be a victim of them so you know what sort of pain/damage you are inflicting on someone. It's actually a deterrant - if you personally know what it feels like to be on the recieving end of such a round, you are (in theory) less likely to use it frivolously.

Warped

Monkey
Dec 31, 2001
Illinois
The war is pretty much over. Even if it still was, we weren't going to back out so people might as well support our troops rather than protest. It offends the troops and the troops' families. It's fine to protest war but once it starts show some support. By protesting you're not keeping anyone alive over there. Serves the bastard right, especially since she obviously took the protesting too far.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Servus!

They shot her with either a wooden dowel rod, or a bag gull of rocks. And... I saw her on a local news program (video, not still) and it looked just like that.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Warped
It's fine to protest war but once it starts show some support. By protesting you're not keeping anyone alive over there. Serves the bastard right, especially since she obviously took the protesting too far.
I've heard this a lot, and to be honest it makes no sense. Why would anyone with any convictions stop being anti-war just because there actually IS one. That's like asking someone to stop being pro-life just because their friend already HAD the abortion. It is possible to be against the act but still support the person. Should they suddenly start saying "oh, abortion is just fine," if it goes against everything they believe in?

If someone protested until the war actually started and then stopped, that would tell me that they didn't really have any conviction, they were just following the crowd.

edit: and what makes it obvious she took the protesting too far? Because she got shot, she obviously was doing something wrong? That's like saying a victim of a stray bullet in a drive-by obviously deserved what they got, just because they were in a ghetto and knew it was dangerous when they went there.