Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It looks like a fun loop to ride, plenty of split sections for the racers to try and pass. If it rains some of the sections look like they could be really tough.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
somewhere i saw a side view picture of one of the drops. but i can't find it for the life of me now, anyone got a lead?

i checked on pb and was unable to locate it there

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
New reel about the jumps and drops on the Brazil XC course:

Really nice!!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
New reel about the jumps and drops on the Brazil XC course:

Really nice!!!
I like how he had a lead in to pace it

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
really? cost notwithstanding, everyone I know using an axs dropper says they are really good. I'd love to not have to deal with cables, and bleeds, and the rest of the bullshit....but I'm also a cheap bastard so have a problem with axs! hahah
Yea, while I think that wireless isn't a must have features, I certainly recognize the benefits to it (ease of installation and setup). But the big story here is the price. $400 is still a lot for a dropper, but this is the first option more in line with cable actuated droppers.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Plus, is the axs reverb any better than a normal reverb?

Everyone I know who has had a reverb, has had a problem with it at some point...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yea, while I think that wireless isn't a must have features, I certainly recognize the benefits to it (ease of installation and setup). But the big story here is the price. $400 is still a lot for a dropper, but this is the first option more in line with cable actuated droppers.
At $400, that better be an ultra-reliable dropper, like Bikeyoke. If its another wintec cart, that's a hard nope.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Back to seatpost talk, any of you own a 9point8 post?
Interested in a Fall Line for the Element (it is 200 grams lighter than my Transfer).
I don’t think I know anyone personally that has one. Curious about reliability/etc before pulling the trigger.
I got burned the last time I chased the light seatpost rabbit hole with the KS Lev Ci, I want to avoid that.
Thanks in advance!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The AXS Reverb includes an auto purge function IIRC, like the BikeYoke Revive. Also, replacing the metal IFP for the SKF polymer one has really lengthened the service intervals.
I meant the x-fusion, not the reverb.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Interested in a Fall Line for the Element (it is 200 grams lighter than my Transfer).
I don’t think I know anyone personally that has one. Curious about reliability/etc before pulling the trigger.
I got burned the last time I chased the light seatpost rabbit hole with the KS Lev Ci, I want to avoid that.
Thanks in advance!
I have a fall line. It's a decent post, but the One Up has longer service intervals, much easier to work on, more travel for the sake length.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've had an AXS Reverb for about 3/4 a year now, and a buddy has been running them on 2 of his bikes for maybe 2 years. Zero issues. The auto purge must work because I pick mine up from the seat (with saddle slammed) all the time, and no sponginess. Only charge the battery about every 3-4 months, riding 3x/week. Neither of us have had them serviced at all.

I love wireless. All the hemming and hawing about charging batteries is nonsense. Even the derailleur only needs to be charged every couple months, and even once the red light goes on, you've still got like another 4 hours of riding.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I've had an AXS Reverb for about 3/4 a year now, and a buddy has been running them on 2 of his bikes for maybe 2 years. Zero issues. The auto purge must work because I pick mine up from the seat (with saddle slammed) all the time, and no sponginess. Only charge the battery about every 3-4 months, riding 3x/week. Neither of us have had them serviced at all.

I love wireless. All the hemming and hawing about charging batteries is nonsense. Even the derailleur only needs to be charged every couple months, and even once the red light goes on, you've still got like another 4 hours of riding.
F if I’ll ever charge anything on my bike. Don’t care if it’s every x months. Maybe if it were once a year. Different strokes.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wireless/Electric shifting and dropper controlers offer LESS actual control over shifting and raising a dropper.
Batteries DO run out. and from experience this absolutely does cause the rider (and his mates) issues when it happens.
SRAM Reverb auto purge does work. Until it doesn't! at which point the reverb still needs a full service to sort out. Decent cartridge droppers are still generally more reliable, cheaper and require far less maintenance.

Until droppers have motors that lower the post without the need for the rider to weight the saddle electrics are nothing more than a gimicky downgrade IMO

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks in advance!
Had one. Nice simple locking mechanism but the stanchion is used as the air piston sealing surface so dirt and such can wear away at the seals resulting in pressure loss and regular maintenance/pumping of air.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Thanks in advance!
Yes, I have 3 of them. Mainly cuz they are the only ones with a setback seat post. Steep seattubes, I'm on the tall side and my hips/knees are like snowflakes these days.

Reliability is ok. Does anything last forever? All three of them are now in the parts bin.

PM me if you want a sweet deal :)

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Wireless/Electric shifting and dropper controlers offer LESS actual control over shifting and raising a dropper.
Batteries DO run out. and from experience this absolutely does cause the rider (and his mates) issues when it happens.
SRAM Reverb auto purge does work. Until it doesn't! at which point the reverb still needs a full service to sort out. Decent cartridge droppers are still generally more reliable, cheaper and require far less maintenance.

Until droppers have motors that lower the post without the need for the rider to weight the saddle electrics are nothing more than a gimicky downgrade IMO
I mean, I wouldn't recommend AXS to someone who can't remember basic things like charging batteries. Common sense is required. (Like... am I going on a big backcountry ride? Maybe I should charge all the fucking batteries!) But it's fucking 2022. On a regular basis, I use an iPhone (with wireless earbuds), iPad (with wireless pencil), laptop (with wireless keyboard, mouse, and headset), and Wahoo bike computer which all require charging and I never have them die because I know how to check the battery level when I finish using them and charge as needed.

AXS shifting requires less maintenance than cable shifting. No fucking around with cable tension as the housing and cable get gunky. No replacing either due to rust. Once you get the limits and micro-adjust set, it shifts exactly the same every time. After a few years of running it, the only things that me and 2 other guys I personally know running it have done are charge the batteries (every 3 months or so), replace jockey bearings (after a year of too much washing, would have on a mechanical derailleur too), and turn the b-tension screw a quarter turn (because apparently after a few thousand miles of MTB, the vibrations and tension shake it loose a little).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We have discussed this design a bit, I really like what he is trying to do. Very clean. Whether it works well, pedals well, etc . Remains to be seen, but like Tantrum, this guy is a motivated outlier, and is doing things his way.
i like that.
Yeah, proprietary BS is definitely great for the industry. I can't imagine this going well in the long run, using the shock for a structural member, etc. Whatever marginal gains there are in a few places can't possibly justify all the sacrifices.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I mean, I wouldn't recommend AXS to someone who can't remember basic things like charging batteries. Common sense is required. (Like... am I going on a big backcountry ride? Maybe I should charge all the fucking batteries!) But it's fucking 2022. On a regular basis, I use an iPhone (with wireless earbuds), iPad (with wireless pencil), laptop (with wireless keyboard, mouse, and headset), and Wahoo bike computer which all require charging and I never have them die because I know how to check the battery level when I finish using them and charge as needed.

AXS shifting requires less maintenance than cable shifting. No fucking around with cable tension as the housing and cable get gunky. No replacing either due to rust. Once you get the limits and micro-adjust set, it shifts exactly the same every time. After a few years of running it, the only things that me and 2 other guys I personally know running it have done are charge the batteries (every 3 months or so), replace jockey bearings (after a year of too much washing, would have on a mechanical derailleur too), and turn the b-tension screw a quarter turn (because apparently after a few thousand miles of MTB, the vibrations and tension shake it loose a little).
I wouldn't recommend cable shifting to someone who can't remember basic things like cable tension adjustment periodically. Those people are far better off paying nearly triple the price for electronic wizardry to solve the complex issue of a barrel adjuster.

Every time I ride an AXS bike I'm bewildered by why anyone would pay that much for what it is.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I wouldn't recommend cable shifting to someone who can't remember basic things like cable tension adjustment periodically. Those people are far better off paying nearly triple the price for electronic wizardry to solve the complex issue of a barrel adjuster.

Every time I ride an AXS bike I'm bewildered by why anyone would pay that much for what it is.
This goes back to my idea of how far and away better our drivetrains are these days compared to 15 years ago and more. It’s crazy good and I’ll probably go electric when the price comes down a lot, but I’m in no hurry. I know Gary’s won’t shift whether it’s cable or electric, but I’ve done a crap load of miles and racing this winter and damn, I never think about it because it just works. Same in the summer.

Perfect components/parts are the ones you never think about that just meld into the bike. You never think about them because they always work.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Every time I hear people whinge about AXS I recall all the roadies who fought disc brakes so hard. "but rim brakes are fine!"