Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Somehow lost the conical washer from my rear axle to my GG. New one inbound from MRP for a few dollaroos instead of being forced to buy a whole new axle.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
CK announced that they're going back to making 6 bolt disc hubs again. They must have realized that nobody is buying their shit.

I'm not sure if "this is what's right" or "this is what nobody cares about".

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Somehow lost the conical washer from my rear axle to my GG. New one inbound from MRP for a few dollaroos instead of being forced to buy a whole new axle.
MRP conical washer arrived and installed. My Smashed Rid Egg is whole again.

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Hayes customer service is what’s right. I could not find a source for their olive and pin for the Dominions so contacted them. In 3 day I received a bag of small goods FOC. Hats off to them!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
CK announced that they're going back to making 6 bolt disc hubs again. They must have realized that nobody is buying their shit.

I'm not sure if "this is what's right" or "this is what nobody cares about".
I read on one of the announcements it was because of COVID supply chain issues they had to temporarily consolidate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I always thought the cranks on my skatepark BMX bike felt really long (175), but upon checking I was surprise to see they're 170. A look on Dan's Comp shows the street BMX world offers cranks in every possible length so I have 160s on the way. I'm curious to see if they feel shorter than the 165s I've had on every DH bike.
Yea some companies make them down to like 120

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm sure there is fine print and whatever, but thisnis good.

I bought a Ripmo used, gouged a rear triangle in a crash (did not break) and cracked a carbon rim when a stick took out a bunch of spokes and pulled one nipple through the rim. As a second user they had no obligation to support me at all but replaced the rear triangle for free and replaced the rim for the cost of an aluminum one. Good people, great support.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
speaking of old (you whippersnapper), found my old race results (dot matrix printout); my first race was the can-am dh on blackcomb - in 1989 (!). course was from the roundhouse to the base, and to get up there i raced the hillclimb. so yeah - full rigid, cantis, spinning out a 48t ring down the access road in lycra... but i digress (from my rocking chair)

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
damn. i was an early adopter & had the rockshox RS-1's soon after release (1990, i think). but yeah, thems were the days. cool to have witnessed the growth of the sport from it's (near) infancy. being at ground zero for the birth of the phenomenon that was the north shore was rad as well.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
you've got me beat, old man. I think mine was 94/95 some barely a hill in southern ontario....but also fully rigid with canti's!
Fully rigid is mental. I had a Quadra 21R in 94/95 and got a first release Z1 bomber in 1996 which I did my first DH race on. The bike was a joke but damn I wish I still had that fork for a wall piece.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

Our Palmdale grips were inspired by Afroman’s hit single - Palmdale. Afroman is currently being sued by the Ohio police after he used security camera footage at his home of their armed raid of his home to make a music video (Lemon Pound Cake), so from April 1st through 4/20 we will donate $4.20 for every pair of Palmdale Grips sold in our webstore directly Afroman to help with his ongoing legal battle.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well despite overpriced stuff and subscription plans, Garmin is replacing my Inreach Mini that turns off after a few minutes or seconds, regardless of charge. So that's nice. I have to wonder if it's the use in cold weather that kills the battery/device...but then again, it's an outdoor piece that should be intended for that environment (meaning that Li Ion is dumb). Makes me feel better about the Garmin Catalyst I just bought for auto racing tho.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009

2015 National Champ. He's no slouch on the bike.

UCI Elite Men
1. Matthew Beer (BC) Intense National Team 3:42.14
2. Steve Smith (BC) Devinci Global Racing 3:45.26
3. Mark Wallace (BC) Devinci Global Racing 3:45.55
4. Kirk McDowell (BC) Dunbar Cycles 3:47.15
5. Philippe Ricard (QC) Equipe du Quebec/Lama Cycles 3:47.34

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
He's also a newfie, so he must be pretty genuine, eh?

I remember watching a video of Trespasser and everyone on the ride was going around this gnarly rock roll. Then here comes buddy and sends it down the optional line on the already sketch section. At the bottom the camera pans over and you realize it's Matt, ah yup makes sense. He wasn't even phased, made it look super easy.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

2015 National Champ. He's no slouch on the bike.

UCI Elite Men
1. Matthew Beer (BC) Intense National Team 3:42.14
2. Steve Smith (BC) Devinci Global Racing 3:45.26
3. Mark Wallace (BC) Devinci Global Racing 3:45.55
4. Kirk McDowell (BC) Dunbar Cycles 3:47.15
5. Philippe Ricard (QC) Equipe du Quebec/Lama Cycles 3:47.34
Did stevie flat or what? Stevie was definitely on a different level despite that podium.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Neko and I are friends. We share ideas and talk about bike design ideas/suspension stuff a lot over the years. I like those conversations with him and he’s very clued in, imo. We had some beers in Les Gets at Worlds and he told me about his carbon rear end and steel front plans.
They don’t do the bongs here. It’s more a Dutch cone shed.
Raaw Ruben and Pinkbike Dan are in on it too. Where do they fit in? It’s a conspiracy I tell you.
seems like the cat's out of the bag on that conspiracy theorie: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/frameworks-racing-and-cotic-collaborate-on-a-steel-dh-frame.html
1682359655785.png

that's a pretty hawt looking bike. would have loved to see Neko riding it at the first WC. maybe one of his protegés will?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well despite overpriced stuff and subscription plans, Garmin is replacing my Inreach Mini that turns off after a few minutes or seconds, regardless of charge. So that's nice. I have to wonder if it's the use in cold weather that kills the battery/device...but then again, it's an outdoor piece that should be intended for that environment (meaning that Li Ion is dumb). Makes me feel better about the Garmin Catalyst I just bought for auto racing tho.
i've always had good luck with Garmin CS. sometimes you need to know how to handle it, but they replaced 2 of my watches at no charge despite being out of warranty.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
i've always had good luck with Garmin CS. sometimes you need to know how to handle it, but they replaced 2 of my watches at no charge despite being out of warranty.
CamelBak just agreed to replace my 2+ year old Chase vest after the zipper broke. Pretty happy with that

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Blatantly stolen from Vital forums. A glimmer of hope. Is this a sign that that the whinging about headset routing has worked? Please let it be a stupid flash in the pan phase that the industry moves on from.

1683232847534.png