Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Didn't @Jm_ own multiple Shivers, including a SC?
Yep. One of the scariest jumps I ever did was on the SC, not a big jump, but land a little sideloaded like in the picture and that thing is going in crazy directions you can't plan for or control. I damn near crashed.

1929552_515561688478_1145_n.jpg

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
What made the WB forks good while every other inverted fork was a wet noodle? I don't see any major differences in the design.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
there's a bit more meat in the crowns (and more pinch bolts, if that makes any difference). assuming more overlap? was a significant difference in the trusty "twist the fork between the legs" test, though. my first impression w/ shivers was - how is such a beefy looking & heavy fork so noodly?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Did they uphold WB reputation for shite seals?
That was pretty much the No1 reason WB failed over here
Well, if we want to split hairs, the Shiverz had even more bushing overlap, since they had dynamic bushings. Monster T did too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To really make an inverted DC fork work for MTB, IMO the lowers, stanchions, dropouts and axles have to be really stiff. That's where the battle is won, or not. The uppers, massive tubes held by two crowns...are going to be plenty stiff, but tiny stanchions connected to tiny dropouts and a relatively small 20mm axle-where there'd be a brake arch with a normal fork, probably a good recipe for shit torsional rigidity. And then if you really want a fuckup of a starting point for a mtb fork, make it a single crown inverted.

But maybe with 38mm stanchions, 30mm axle, properly designed, the DC inverted could be stiff enough...but then again, so is a Fox 40 and why even go down that road unless you need 9" of travel like a Hannebrokemyleg fork where you won't have enough bushing overlap without inverted.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Didn't the Foes fork have a custom hub with massive axle? I wonder how that would do nowadays if it had a normal damper.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure one or more versions of the Foes F1 fork had a 30mm axle. I vaguely remember they did the absolute crap curnut stuff on the last version?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Didn't the Foes fork have a custom hub with massive axle? I wonder how that would do nowadays if it had a normal damper.
Yes, it had. It came with a specific hub and a specific rotor, bolted to it with 4 screws just because. I had the '99 F1 for some months and was so glad when I was able to sell it. That thing was horrible noodly and shat its splash oil on my brakes multiple times because those stupid seals wouldn't stay in the uppers. After every crash the front wheel was >15° off. Imho the crowns were way too small and lightweight optimised, they wouldn't clamp the uppers enough.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Neko has to be one of the best things that has happened to this industry in a really long time. I really like watching his vids, listening to him on podcasts, and would like to meet him in person to shake his hand some day...

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

Neko has to be one of the best things that has happened to this industry in a really long time. I really like watching his vids, listening to him on podcasts, and would like to meet him in person to shake his hand some day...
On this week's Pinkbike podcast he gives Bucko a shout out and confirms my suspicion that a lot of what he learned about bike design was during developement of the current Gambler. I'd love to know how different the Frameworks is from the Gambler.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
On this week's Pinkbike podcast he gives Bucko a shout out and confirms my suspicion that a lot of what he learned about bike design was during developement of the current Gambler. I'd love to know how different the Frameworks is from the Gambler.
@buckoW could probably tell us if he wanted, he posted a pic of having one of Neko's frames there. :busted:

I listened to that podcast as well - it was cool hearing him say how he basically didn't know anything and that buckow sat him down and guided him.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
those sucked

i mean the damping was great, but the fork felt on par for 2001. My 2006 boxxer WC was a revelation by comparison. Twist after every crash, flexy as hell, 65mm offset. Christ don't meet your heroes
I had one on long term loan for a few months when my buddy broke his leg. DHR w/full Avalanche suspension ~2002ish. The thing was a TANK. Mostly I was hucking it down staircase gaps...was fine for that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Wolf Tooth dropper was sticking a bit on the last ride. It did make it through the entire last winter and this summer unscathed, so it's not on a shitlist or anything. I serviced it today. I'm happy to report it's easy to service, comes with the one special tool you need and all the innards are quality precision parts.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Buddy (SpokeX). Built a custom painted 1off bike for SEMA..it's going in the Toyota booth with a custom Toyota...the colors are Toyota paint code colors to match the truck and the bronze is the paint code from the wheels on the truck...h
He's driving it to sema tomorrow and Toyota is taking care of him for the week as well

He did the half cab wheelset and build with i9 for Steve cabalerro and they did the give away bike with crabkbros and the NASCAR race team custom build last year

They have done so high end custom.one offs for the industry as well as other industries

Deity , fox, i9, forbidden ,and a few others were put together by hunter for this build...specialized was supposed to do it but they weren't going to do a custom 1 off to match so he pitched them this.

20231028_120025.jpg
20231028_120035.jpg
20231028_120048.jpg

Last edited: