Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
The Wolf Tooth dropper was sticking a bit on the last ride. It did make it through the entire last winter and this summer unscathed, so it's not on a shitlist or anything. I serviced it today. I'm happy to report it's easy to service, comes with the one special tool you need and all the innards are quality precision parts.
All back to normal after service?

Am having no issues with my 1st gen One-Up posts, but the Wolftooth certainly appeals for when/if a full replacement is needed.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The Wolf Tooth dropper was sticking a bit on the last ride. It did make it through the entire last winter and this summer unscathed, so it's not on a shitlist or anything. I serviced it today. I'm happy to report it's easy to service, comes with the one special tool you need and all the innards are quality precision parts.
They no longer ship with the tool. Lame.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Am having no issues with my 1st gen One-Up posts, but the Wolftooth certainly appeals for when/if a full replacement is needed.
Seems like it. Won't know for sure until I go back out into the cold with it, but it did amazing last winter and it seems to be totally smoothed out now after the service. I had one of my Revive's do the same thing over the summer, did the service and it's even more silky-smooth. Heck, rode that one yesterday (in the cold) and it's doing great. Thinking about both the WT and the BY, the BY is defiantly smoother, but the WT isn't bad in that respect and a lot better than say a PNW. Supposedly WT emphasized cold-weather performance down to at least -20 and I did use it all last winter, so that would probably be my deciding factor, if you plan to use it in the cold much. The Revive still works in the cold, never had any problems with it, but I'm hesitant to take it into the -Fs, so I don't have it set up on one of those bikes for that reason.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my first gen one up has developed significant left/right play after many years of abuse. the valve also spins w/the pump when i add air now, so i have to make sure the threads are super greased and i don't tighten too much when it needs inflating...but it still generally works well.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
my first gen one up has developed significant left/right play after many years of abuse. the valve also spins w/the pump when i add air now, so i have to make sure the threads are super greased and i don't tighten too much when it needs inflating...but it still generally works well.
Have you tried the oversized pins kit for the side to side play?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Yep, done several rides after the service and it's back to amazing. A cold-weather hero IME.

There is one issue with this and even the BY/PNW posts. If ridden in the cold, you need to not extend them fully when bringing inside. If you don't, the actuating mechanism can jam and will only "work" again when brought back to the same temp. It's a non-issue if you realize it, but even the PNW did this on me a few days ago because I forgot to keep it compress. It's rare for me to forget though.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Haven't finished watching this yet, but hearing Ben describe how they structured the team and that "results don't matter, right now, its your learning..." is great. Sounds like they have a great thing going.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
no need to, it already worked
yes it proved you are a zombie stuck on repeat

The terrain around windrock is awesome, with plenty of vert. And the people building it up are a hell of a lot more tolerable than some espresso sipping pinky finger for a personality overlooking the alps, patting themselves on the back for their own priviledge.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
some espresso sipping pinky finger for a personality overlooking the alps, patting themselves on the back for their own priviledge.

sorry, this is the "what's right" thread :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

sorry, this is the "what's right" thread :D
That whole industry has lost their god damned minds. I'll enjoy watching it implode.

What highland did with an existing hill and a lift being fully converted to a bike park needs to be a model going forward. Although every year, mountainbiking gets more and more like skiing so watch the same thing happen in 20 years....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That whole industry has lost their god damned minds. I'll enjoy watching it implode.

What highland did with an existing hill and a lift needs to be a model going forward.
Highland was dedicated to bikes from the start, and people noticed that. The half-assed attempts by ski hills isn't working- you've got to go balls-deep into bikes. They also learned from their mistakes...people didn't love clapped out jank with 500ft of elevation, so they started building berms and jumps and doubled down on what was working. Hopefully gwindrock will do the same.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Highland was dedicated to bikes from the start, and people noticed that. The half-assed attempts by ski hills isn't working- you've got to go balls-deep into bikes. They also learned from their mistakes...people didn't love clapped out jank with 500ft of elevation, so they started building berms and jumps and doubled down on what was working. Hopefully gwindrock will do the same.
I thought that was a failed ski hill that ended up being a cheap purchase, no?

Either way, yeah it's dinky, but plenty of hills in the southeast don't really get reliable snow without gobs of cash in snowmaking equipment. Given the comparatively little public land available to ride bikes on, some of the hills with more vert need to be looking at mtb parks more seriously than they are. The full time or almost full time bike park could be a hell of a lot more lucrative than forcing winters that don't happen.

Like everything else, ebikes will just fuck it up of course

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
One Up Components deserve props, they are doing everything right.

I think they stopped making those 1up replacement cogs way way too early. You could still buy (maybe still can) new 11spd Sram X-dome cassettes and having that ability to at least replace the aluminum cog on that or the 12spd if it wore out (let alone extend it "up") was really nice. I mean, sure, the cassettes can last like 5 years, but usually that is what would go first anyways and you could (I did) still be running it with a 1up replacement. I think it was 3 or 4 seasons ago I scrounged to fine one of the very last and then all gone.

And then they make this abomination, which surely isn't "right":

But it's cool they've expanded so much and make so many different products. Them and Wolftooth, nice to see them built a business off of chainrings and shit and expanded into so many markets.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think they stopped making those 1up replacement cogs way way too early. You could still buy (maybe still can) new 11spd Sram X-dome cassettes and having that ability to at least replace the aluminum cog on that or the 12spd if it wore out (let alone extend it "up") was really nice. I mean, sure, the cassettes can last like 5 years, but usually that is what would go first anyways and you could (I did) still be running it with a 1up replacement. I think it was 3 or 4 seasons ago I scrounged to fine one of the very last and then all gone.

And then they make this abomination, which surely isn't "right":

But it's cool they've expanded so much and make so many different products. Them and Wolftooth, nice to see them built a business off of chainrings and shit and expanded into so many markets.
Yeah kind of weird for them to stop making them. Though I think thats the key thing, they don't make them, their made overseas (most likely) so given the declining sales their accounting department probably told them to axe them. It would be cool if they switched old stuff like this to "service parts" and had North Shore Billet or some other local shop make them in small batches, to continue support.

That said though, did you email them and ask if they had any extras? I still have their v1 chain guide, which they no longer list parts on the site. A few years ago, I needed replacement plastic and they sold me some for cheap, that they had laying around in their wear house or somewhere.

This is what's wrong with the industry though - when stuff is still perfectly good and useable but just need a 2-cent plastic piece or something and is rendered garbage because the company has moved onto iteration 23 of the same product.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
That last part is what hope is doing right, posting cad models of stuff they don’t intend to sell so we can 3d print it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Agreed, that switch thing will be on the slag-heap of forgotten ‘mtb-tech’ pretty quickly, I would imagine.
why? A buddy of mine has some. He rides a lot, so goes through rings fairly frequently. I think he may use them most on his gravel bike? Anyways, he's been pretty happy at the cost savings.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, the replacement rings are still almost $50. But to me, if the best expression of simplicity is the goal of good engineering, adding bolts and proprietary parts doesn’t strike me as the elegant solution.
One more possible failure point (loosening bolts) or creaks, etc, for the general population.
Dorks like us would probably be just fine with them.
Just my .02.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
FWIW my mtbs are on £3 AliXpress 4 bolt (remember those?) 104bcd narrow wide chainrings. Been running those happily for years. Every one had lasted as long as any other overpriced gimmicky Alu chainring. Actually Scrub that longer than many others.