Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Plenty folk here buy £10k bikes with no motor at all.
$10k isn't an unusual price point for an Enduro mountain bike at all.

And I'm fairly sure he was talking about GBP not USD

Direct sales bikes from the likes of Canyon and YTs are over £7k now ($10k?)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Or a carbon frame, with carbon wheels, with SRAM AXS seatpost and derailer.

Easily over $10k.
i didn't see anything like that at my local bike park last summer. majority of bikes i saw over the course of the season were mid to upper range enduro bikes. very few top of the line bikes. yea, there were some carbon bikes and carbon wheels, but they were not in the majority.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
As far as I can tell Keystone is done with bikes. The website doesn't work and when I called to ask about the bike park or season passes the person didn't understand what I was asking. She kept talking about Australia.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i don't disagree, but based on what i'm seeing where I am, they're not the ones going to lift access bike parks in large numbers
Where I am it's not unusual to see groups of relative beginner dads in their 40s who've driven their teenage kids kitted out head to toe in top end kit to ride "Enduro" with their mates on £4-6k Trek and Santa Cruz Enduro bikes. While the equally well kitted out Dads meet up with other middle aged relative beginner friends to do a shorter ride on slightly easier trails on their own slightly more expensive bikes. It's not unusual for these dads to have an Ebike, Enduro bike and gravel bike while their kids have a pumptrack bike, DH bike and Enduro bike.
None if them in the medical trade.
These same groups of folk also tend to do uplift days all over the country.

You sound a little out of touch Jon.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Where I am it's not unusual to see groups of relative beginner dads in their 40s who've driven their teenage kids kitted out head to toe in top end kit to ride "Enduro" with their mates on £4-6k Trek and Santa Cruz Enduro bikes. While the equally well kitted out Dads meet up with other middle aged relative beginner friends to do a shorter ride on slightly easier trails on their own slightly more expensive bikes. It's not unusual for these dads to have an Ebike, Enduro bike and gravel bike while their kids have a pumptrack bike, DH bike and Enduro bike.
None if them in the medical trade.
These same groups of folk also tend to do uplift days all over the country.

You sound a little out of touch Jon.
my assessment is based what i'm seeing locally at my mountain, as i've indicated.

also it sounds like you spend too much time looking at dads ;)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've been a dad for a very loooong time.
Honestly... I try to avoid noobs. The chat isn't always great.

You can't avoid situations if you don't pay attention.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I had a pittsburgh steelers top when I was 10. A souvenir from a trip to the US. I just liked the colours.

And my first proper mtb was a 1989(I think) Raleigh Appalanchian. A Reynolds 531 butted steel frameset with deore II groupset (fully rigid XC race bike)

True story.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I blame the industry for making small unnecessarily expensive parts have teleportation abilities.

I was just shortening a brake hose. Accidentally dropped the barb as I was threading it into the cut hose and it vanished into the ether.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I blame the industry for making small unnecessarily expensive parts have teleportation abilities.

I was just shortening a brake hose. Accidentally dropped the barb as I was threading it into the cut hose and it vanished into the ether.
Hose barbs and olives, tiny screws, and little circlips that spring off the pliers across the room. All lost to the ages.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hose barbs and olives, tiny screws, and little circlips that spring off the pliers across the room. All lost to the ages.
Don't forget the little ball under most fork knobs.

I'll be damned, somehow these things always find the ONE crack in the floor!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
As far as I can tell Keystone is done with bikes. The website doesn't work and when I called to ask about the bike park or season passes the person didn't understand what I was asking. She kept talking about Australia.
Fudge. Except I didn't say fudge.

Hmm...thinking about it moar...isn't this par for the course with Keystone. Or any Vail Resort? Seems like their summer web stuff doesn't bubble up until the last moment.

I don't even know if Keystone was open last year. But pretty sure Vail and Beaver Creek were open. Was Breck open?

Maybe you're on to something. But if you're right and Keystone throws away all those trails? Fudge me! Fudge them too!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Fudge. Except I didn't say fudge.

Hmm...thinking about it moar...isn't this par for the course with Keystone. Or any Vail Resort? Seems like their summer web stuff doesn't bubble up until the last moment.

I don't even know if Keystone was open last year. But pretty sure Vail and Beaver Creek were open. Was Breck open?

Maybe you're on to something. But if you're right and Keystone throws away all those trails? Fudge me! Fudge them too!
i think what you're trying to say is

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I’m with Gary in seeing a lot of expensive bikes, plenty of top end ebikes, ridden (slowly) by older dudes and dads who have kids in tow with pricey looking rigs. In some cases wife and other kids in the pack, looking like a family day out but on pricey bikes. Dad always has the most expensive rig. I also see a lot of teenage boys on top end bikes playing in the woods. Nothing against getting the kids into sport but when it’s an upper end carbon bike v the al model etc. What do I know, my kids don’t get spoilt rotten so I suck as a dad?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I’m with Gary in seeing a lot of expensive bikes, plenty of top end ebikes, ridden (slowly) by older dudes and dads who have kids in tow with pricey looking rigs. In some cases wife and other kids in the pack, looking like a family day out but on pricey bikes. Dad always has the most expensive rig. I also see a lot of teenage boys on top end bikes playing in the woods. Nothing against getting the kids into sport but when it’s an upper end carbon bike v the al model etc. What do I know, my kids don’t get spoilt rotten so I suck as a dad?
I just tried it and the hat fits!! Damn! ;) :O

My 11y.o. son rides a sweet 2013 Pivot Mach.5.7c (26", size small), with full XX1 drivetrain, 240 hubs, Pushed suspension F/R, etc. He has by far the most blinged-out bike of the family.

The catch is that it's my old bike, which my wife also rode for a couple of years before it trickled down to my son. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just tried it and the hat fits!! Damn! ;) :O

My 11y.o. son rides a sweet 2013 Pivot Mach.5.7c (26", size small), with full XX1 drivetrain, 240 hubs, Pushed suspension F/R, etc. He has by far the most blinged-out bike of the family.

The catch is that it's my old bike, which my wife also rode for a couple of years before it trickled down to my son. :)
My kid will be "inherit" my 26" stuff when he's big enough to ride them.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
My kid will be "inherit" my 26" stuff when he's big enough to ride them.
Cool! Keeping my 26" stuff for my son was among the best bike-related decision I made in the past few years.

In retrospect, I probably should have bought a Medium in 2013, but it would have been too big for my wife and my son. It was kind of a fortunate mistake.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Cool! Keeping my 26" stuff for my son was among the best bike-related decision I made in the past few years.

In retrospect, I probably should have bought a Medium in 2013, but it would have been too big for my wife and my son. It was kind of a fortunate mistake.
my kid's on my buddy's old medium 26" intense tracer2 which i mulleted by putting my old 36 up front. it's a nice bike for a 12yo who doesn't ride a ton. most stuff on it is xt/slx. it's been great for him but my bike's definitely a lot nicer. :twitch:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

The barb had teleported back this morning to a spot on the garage floor that I'd searched yesterday :panic:

$9 saved by finding it again though so I'll take the win.