Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I kept my 26" stuff for the kids too.
Now that they would fit, they are not interested.
My youngest at 17 will come out with me a few times a year.
I will keep a 150/140 Knolly Endorphin trail bike for him, / loaner / spare but the rest will get sold off this year. Got rid of a 93 Kilauea and a 99 Nu Nu that were wall art to a guy who will rebuild them. Next up will be a Norco, a Rocky, a Knolly and another Knolly frame.
I'm even thinking about selling the DH bike, now that there is nothing to ride it on in Flatario...but will probably keep it for the odd Bromont or US of A trip. I still like the insurance policy it provides when my old ass forgets and gets stupid.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Onterrible.... @mykel

Our local and only lift accessed DH hill just released this years season pass prices; $349 for the early bird price.

In 2020 the early bird price was $140.

BALLS

The price hike is in absolutely no coincidence that last year, the bigger lift accessed hill decided that bikes are no longer allowed on the lift and their DH trails are more suitable for family hikers.
Frisbee golf and weddings. That's where the money is man.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I kept my 26" stuff for the kids too.
Now that they would fit, they are not interested.
My youngest at 17 will come out with me a few times a year.
This is what I think when everyone tells me I should have kids.
"It's so fun doing things with them." "Who's going to take care of you when you're old?"

My answer, "What makes you think they'll want to do things with you and live in the same town when you're old to take care of you?" They're all gonna be hanging out in the Metaverse and trading crypto currency.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I kept my 26" 'stuff' because I still fucking ride 26.
So do my kids.
When I need looked after hopefully they'll kill me.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
1646772376773.png

This. WTF.

I'm not mad at the poor soul who came up with the idea - mental illness is a real thing. I'm just disappointed because I'm sure this idea had to be brought up, presented and signed off. All opportunities for others to intervene and stop it. Yet seemingly no one did.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
^that is a ridiculously dumb detail. you'd think a "rider run" company might know better? curious how frequently they'll be killing HS bearings (esp. given the PNW weather). it's like they did the production run of frames & the ports were somehow missed so they had to scramble for some way of running cables to save the batch. would love to hear them defend this design decision.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
View attachment 173125

This. WTF.

I'm not mad at the poor soul who came up with the idea - mental illness is a real thing. I'm just disappointed because I'm sure this idea had to be brought up, presented and signed off. All opportunities for others to intervene and stop it. Yet seemingly no one did.
Based on the comments on the PB and just ya know, thinking about it logically, this seems like a bad idea all around.

Just based on there being HOLES in the top of the headset, what do the designers think will happen with water and crud?

Transition is still from the PNW right, did they test this out on sub-optimal riding days? :confused:

And based on there being no other holes in the tubing or any cable mounting points, seems like a horrible idea to be locked to one type of (shitty) headset.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I always thought steer tubes and stems should be keyed anyway.
So manufacturers can fuck it up and you have to ride a bike with the stem pointing 5° to the right because you won't get it replaced on warranty because it is "within usual manufacturing specs". Yeah, awesome, cannot wait.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Not really seeing this issue with d shaped seatposts, are you?
But yeah, any level of tolerance fuckery would doom the project.
the only reason I thought of it 40 (?) years ago is that we had a bike builder in our shop that was blind…this was one of the few functions that he couldn’t perform well.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
the only reason I thought of it 40 (?) years ago is that we had a bike builder in our shop that was blind…this was one of the few functions that he couldn’t perform well.
In the seatposts you have a little adjustability in the clamps. Further, it is usually the same manufacturer providing both, so less that could go wrong.
Pretty impressive if a blind guy builds bikes! :thumb:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A little misalignment there is much less noticeable IME.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
View attachment 173125

This. WTF.

Wow, that's crazy. Crazy like a fox?! :D

I've had 2 ebikes. So you guys can probably stop reading now.

One way most brands try to hide or tidy-up the cockpit is with a handlebar that has a recessed channel and holes for the electronic wires. Yeah. That's a thing. I usually swap out the handlebars cuz my back/neck is shitty these days, and then need to deal with how am I going to clean up my cockpit and hide wires.

I can see how they thought this was a good solution. Would be interesting to see if or how they sealed it up to prevent water and corrosion. I mean, they're in the PNW right? AFAIK, moisture over there happens. A lot.

Is it better than having holes in the side of the frame? How do they prevent cable rattle noise with that set up? AXS for the win? Moar batteries the better?

I'm in IT. Sometimes things get approved for the sake of being new and "innovative" even if it really isn't. And now Bob just got a promotion cuz he thought it would be a good idea to use Azure for every fucking thing but really all it did was fucked everything up. (That was IT related, not mtb :)

Would really like to see how they did that. I'm sure it isn't shitty. Transition always seems to think outside the box.