Quantcast

@@@Thoisday Gee Em Tea@@@

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
all together: at least one summer week/year and one Christmas holiday week/year
one parent: at least one week/year (over the summer holidays, we don't put them in day camp for three weeks: one week per parent, one week all together. I like to take them camping, my wife does things around town)
solo: have been averaging two weekend bike trips with the boys (buddies, not children)/ year, and one bike trip with the boys for a week away every two years.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Ride night last night! Hit a dang rock going pretty fast towards the end of the ride, punctured a hole in the carcass that the Stan's wouldn't seal. Sunova! Tried dealing with it this morning before work as I had double-ride plans today (afternoon with coworkers and evening with friends) and couldn't get the bead to seat. Sunova! Threw the whole shootin' match in the truck, popped over to a local bike shop mid-morning and they hooked me up by getting the tires seated. My compressor wasn't blowing enough air volume to get these tires (Geax Goma) to seat but there's was. Awesome! Rallied back to the office, went to put the wheels back on the bike and DERP... left both axles at home. Sunova! So now ride plans are just after work with friends.

Ride night tonight. Can the day be over yet?
Sent you a PM with our ride plans.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Here. Planning on taking Haley on her first camping trip this weekend. Nothing special, just going to the local suburban park (Bear Creek Lake for the locals). We've done a few backyard camping trips, so she's at least done it before. She's super amped, so we'll see how that goes.

A few weeks ago she started asking me about why it was still light out when I was picking her up from school (time change) and I started explaining how the earth goes around the sun, moon around the earth, etc. and she started to get super into the planets. My Dad (the rocket engineer) talked with her a ton and she ended up getting even more stoked, so we took her to the Nature and Science museum and where they have a permanent space display.

Because of her level of interest, my Dad bought her a projector nightlight that has the planets. We've been working on her planets for the last few weeks now and she knows Mercury through Uranus and she knows the colors, size, which have rings, etc. It was pretty cool last night when she turned the light on and just ran through all of the planets without being prompted.

Think of all the things you could do together once you quit your job!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well shit. When I crashed on the tri bike this past Saturday, I dented the wheel beyond repair and it'll need to be replaced. LBS said I can use it for my race this weekend (got a duathlon...16 mile bike) but will need a new wheel sooner rather than later. That's a $500 wheel with fewer than a thousand miles on it. :(
Race wheels, training wheels. I believe that's how it's done. Unless enduro.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
2 days in a row! Whoop!

Started my morning by not lining up the threads on the blender properly. Hit the go button and turned away, only to look back at the smoothie largely on the counter... So I go to sit at my desk and proceed to knock the glass over into my computer screen... it went alllll over. Moar coffee is definitely the answer. I'll get on that now.

Have been pondering this question... In a family with kids, how much of your vacation time do you take all together, as a couple, one parent and child, or by yourself/solo with your friends. I know everyone does it different and am curious...

How's the honey do list stoney? Find yourself a contractor yet??
When I grew up we had family vacations for visiting family as a family, a separate vacation where my sister and I would go to camp or someplace like Disneyland while our parents went to Mexico or Hawaii. We had a nanny / housekeeper from the time I was 8 to 15 and both my parents worked but went away on weekends a lot. We still needed time away from each other because suburban living is stressful on children.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
An email just sent to me and a few others by a guy in our R&D department used so many big, fancy technical terms I literally started giggling 1/2 way through reading it.

The funny part is, the bottom line was recommending cutting something in half with a hacksaw to see what it's made of.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande

IMHO bar is not a good place for a camera. Too much left/right jerkin', too much up'n'down shakin'.
Turns out the store that said they didn't have a chesty but would call me when they arrived... called me today but not before I'd rendered the bar mount non-returnable. $16 down the tube and another $40 spent since this store doesn't discount.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
First ride of the week coming up shortly this afternoon, away with work since the weekend. I need the ride.

Second interview for a new job this morning, would be big change to my schedule/lifestyle if they offer and I accept.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:stupid:

Though, TBH, most of the solo trips have been mine.
Haven't strapped the kid on the motorcycle yet? :D

Good day to you all from Friday. Kids woke up at 2:30. Jet lag is a bitch, apparently. Today we ride trains and buses for fun, and see lots of Japanese people at the famous crowded Shibuya intersection.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friend has the most friendly German Sheppard. She is so awesome. She lays around in the dirt and plays with birds. Awesome dog....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The Silky Big Boy rawks !

I started cutting this log several weeks ago with my SOG 8" saw, but after three sessions, I still wasn't close to getting all the way through. You can see the cut to the left.

My original plan was to just get it on the ground so it could be hopped over. But someone decided to pile up some deadfall, rocks and twigs to build a ramp. This kind of poor construction is a pet peeve of mine. Not only does it look like shit, but it's unstable. Those rotting branches eventually move, often into weird angles that you don't see until the front wheel catches it on the back side.

I guess riders that do this kind of building just cannot get their front wheel off the ground. I can understand building a ramp if the log is three feet of the ground, but not for logs less than a foot. The skill of log hoping seems to be becoming a lost art.

It took some effort to cut through the 8" end since it was oak, but so far I'm very impressed with the saw.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Fucking awesome ride on my favourite trail tonight. Haven't ridden it since last fall. So good. Capped off with beer in the parking lot, a swim in the lake (well, more like a quick dip), and shawarma. Fucking nice.

Even managed to swing by the bike shop to pick up my new Grid Slaughter tonight too. It will have to go on this weekend.