Quantcast

--{ Thursday GMT }--

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mrs. Stoney needs to read my thread:

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/exiting-the-rat-race.271154/

Is Thing 2 really that big of a budget buster? For us we already had the larger vehicle, knew we were ending up with a larger house (although what we got at ~3250 sq ft is not extravagant, imo), and the extra child care costs are really just lost in the noise of larger debts to service.

For me what helped the most was to set up a long term costs spreadsheet. What's fixed and long term, what's going to disappear or appear in the next few years, and what is the projected net worth trajectory given these planned expenses against expected income. This was how I convinced myself that I could afford this house. Numbers, I tell ya, magic like magnets.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Now imagine having that conversation 30 times per day, telling people that their plans for retirement are not able to happen doing what they do. Very demoralizing to me and why saving is so important.

Also, you're the guy who will be done working when you're 55 and able to do fuck all what you want. I just want to maintain lifestyle at 62, so we're still young enough to enjoy it. I don't think it's asking a lot.
Demoralizing is watching the ever expanding tent cities of homeless growing around your home, while $1.5m housing is also going up. Seeing more and more street begging and tents around your office, while you listen to your boss talk about his Tesla, buying one kid a horse, and another kid a condo, then getting a corporate email about how the plastic utensil usage is too high and we need to cut back right after we just had a workforce reduction that probably saved the company nearly a million dollars per year in payroll.

My mind spins.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Indeed. My goal is simple enough (I think) is to have $500k (we save a lot of money) set aside by the time we're 40. That gives a really good platform from which our future/retirement can be built. Getting a big house nukes that. Getting a Q7 seriously impacts that. Getting something like a Pilot, which she likes, impacts it less. Having rd 2 is global nuclear war to that goal.

Guess I just focus too much on the future...
Like I said - it's a balance. Sounds like you two will balance each other fairly well.

My wife & I? We're on the same page. Get rid of the kids and the mortgage, downsize to somewhere nice, and enjoy things. If that involves me working in a ski/bike shop, all the better. :)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Mrs. Stoney needs to read my thread:

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/exiting-the-rat-race.271154/

Is Thing 2 really that big of a budget buster? For us we already had the larger vehicle, knew we were ending up with a larger house (although what we got at ~3250 sq ft is not extravagant, imo), and the extra child care costs are really just lost in the noise of larger debts to service.

For me what helped the most was to set up a long term costs spreadsheet. What's fixed and long term, what's going to disappear or appear in the next few years, and what is the projected net worth trajectory given these planned expenses against expected income. This was how I convinced myself that I could afford this house. Numbers, I tell ya, magic like magnets.
We have minimal debt: the house (fixed 4%) and $2500 on the Subie (at 1.99%). I have a Financial Plan put together already.

It's lifestyle things that add up amazingly quickly. Dinner/lunch out 2-3x per week - $150-200, Skiing related expenses (including ski school and rentals) $2500/year, travel to CA - $5000/year (starting), etc. I could probably cut $400/m out of our expenses, but that puts in a lot more effort than Wifey wants to do. I know what our balance sheet looks like and we're pretty lean when it comes to wasted money.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
<snip>
Also, you're the guy who will be done working when you're 55 and able to do fuck all what you want. I just want to maintain lifestyle at 62, so we're still young enough to enjoy it. I don't think it's asking a lot.
You underestimate how decrepit we are all going to be at 55, much less 62. That's an important lesson I've learned in my 40's. :rant:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Seeing more and more street begging and tents around your office, while you listen to your boss talk about his Tesla, buying one kid a horse, and another kid a condo, then getting a corporate email about how the plastic utensil usage is too high and we need to cut back right after we just had a workforce reduction that probably saved the company nearly a million dollars per year in payroll.
That's gonna change, sooner than later. You won't be talking to / hearing from / meeting your boss directly, his class will be divided from your class with a thick glass wall.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
We have minimal debt: the house (fixed 4%) and $2500 on the Subie (at 1.99%). I have a Financial Plan put together already.

It's lifestyle things that add up amazingly quickly. Dinner/lunch out 2-3x per week - $150-200, Skiing related expenses (including ski school and rentals) $2500/year, travel to CA - $5000/year (starting), etc. I could probably cut $400/m out of our expenses, but that puts in a lot more effort than Wifey wants to do. I know what our balance sheet looks like and we're pretty lean when it comes to wasted money.
You CANNOT sacrifice skiing. It's not allowed. Oh - and fuck ski school.

Demoralizing is watching the ever expanding tent cities of homeless growing around your home, while $1.5m housing is also going up. Seeing more and more street begging and tents around your office, while you listen to your boss talk about his Tesla, buying one kid a horse, and another kid a condo, then getting a corporate email about how the plastic utensil usage is too high and we need to cut back right after we just had a workforce reduction that probably saved the company nearly a million dollars per year in payroll.

My mind spins.
Bernie!

You underestimate how decrepit we are all going to be at 55, much less 62. That's an important lesson I've learned in my 40's. :rant:
Keep it up, kid!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Now imagine having that conversation 30 times per day, telling people that their plans for retirement are not able to happen doing what they do. Very demoralizing to me and why saving is so important.

:(. I should probably be having that conversation with someone. At this point my financial saavy has not graduated much beyond staying in the black for the monthly budget while putting money away in both savings and a 401K. I would imagine sooner would be better than later; gonna have to pick your brain about that at some point here Stoney.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That's an important lesson I've learned in my 40's. :rant:
Me and wife spent some non-trivial money on vacations doing lotsa traveling, hiking, horse riding etc. As a result, we know the US better than 90% of muricans, and have great memories from most of the worthy national parks. Now after a few injuries / surgeries / deteriorating health coverage & services in our late 30s., we just cannot do the same any more. That ship has sailed. Life's about more than dying in comfort.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

They key question is whether with these expenses are you saving enough to meet your target. If so but there's no wiggle room then that answers whether a Q7 is a good idea. If you have extra room in the budget.

Also keep in mind the flip side, of what increased happiness those expenses bring you/her/kiddo. Again, I'm not advocating for the Q7 here as cost >> benefit, IMO.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My wife & I? We're on the same page. Get rid of the kids and the mortgage, downsize to somewhere nice, and enjoy things. If that involves me working in a ski/bike shop, all the better. :)
this times a hundred million....i could live quite happily nearing my golden years someplace beautiful in a camper and working.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

Yeah. Food adds up way fast. I was trying to build muscle mass last year, and ended up eating quite a bit. It worked. I ended up not keeping up with that program, lost what I gained, but my food bill moved buy hundreds a month.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stoney...tell her she can have the Q7....just tell her the maintenance comes out of her end..

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah. Food adds up way fast. I was trying to build muscle mass last year, and ended up eating quite a bit. It worked. I ended up not keeping up with that program, lost what I gained, but my food bill moved buy hundreds a month.
Between food and dining, for the three of us, we're at about $1600/m. That can be cut, but we don't really throw away a lot of food/leftovers. We're pretty efficient with that, probably because I grew up (until my teens) relatively not well off. Waste is not something that I do.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
lol. I mean "sliding on snow," asshole. ;)
I've got her a leash and edgie wedgie to help, but she's only on J-turns. Once she can do S-turns, I'll be able to take her out to the real mountain and skip lessons.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bought my house almost twenty years ago for about half of the mortgage I was approved for. It is a decent place, I could have easily gotten something bigger and nicer a long time ago but I didn't see the point. Living well under my means has given me a lot of freedom and allowed me to do some pretty interesting shit.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Me and wife spent some non-trivial money on vacations doing lotsa traveling, hiking, horse riding etc. As a result, we know the US better than 90% of muricans, and have great memories from most of the worthy national parks. Now after a few injuries / surgeries / deteriorating health coverage & services in our late 30s., we just cannot do the same any more. That ship has sailed. Life's about more than dying in comfort.
You know the fitness you attain now if minimally maintained will benefit you well into your 60's. Not many folks sit around and do nothing as they age anymore. Well they do. Its a hell called Florida.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Fuck all of you and your fucking money. It's national beer day. All I need is enough scrilla fo a 40.

Resurrected my first ever mtb (16+ year old Trek 6500) as a commute bike and rode into work this morning.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Boss from my old employer asked me to hold on to my laptop so I could answer questions that popped up. Been handling a few questions a week, no big deal. I asked him to make sure no one would be upset that I did not ship my stuff back, sent the same message to his boss. Just got a nasty email from the IT person asking where the hell my laptop was. That being said, shit is on the next UPS truck and the next time they have a question Ween can best provide the answer

Piss up a rope and feel the pissy dribble
Piss up a rope and watch me giggle.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
This is the third time.

Dumbass turned the wrong way down a one way street and into me as I was waiting at the light.
Fun isn't it? I was hit by 5 cars while living and bike commuting in Chicago.
I only ride dirt now.