Quantcast

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
There were a few good ones (and some I posetd because Dave was going huge even though they were out of focus).

here

BTW... I went back to the manual and figured out some of our flash issues (canon 10d in case anyone is interested):

1. Av mode is useless with the flash unless you set the flash sync (fn. 3) to 1/200 fixed. on auto it dials down the shutter to 1second+ and sets the flash accordingly

2. In Tv is set to use speeds less than 1/200, but for whatever reson it likes to open up the aperature all the way until the shutter is real slow. I would assume this makes the flash light less harsh.

Program and auto mode seem to take a middle ground usually setting the aperature at 4 and the shutter at 1/60 and compensating the flash accordingly. Unfortuntely you can't shift the program with the flash on.

BUT. the flash has a lot more kick in manual mode. You can set whatever you want and the camera will meter the flash accordingly. I got a fairly good exposure the long way across a 10'x20' room at 1/200 f11. The manual advertises a flash range of 25' with a 24mm lens at f3.5.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
sorta unrelated.... why won't the IMG tags show pics when the links are CGIs? It's sort of a pain to find the actual links to pics when the CGI can pull them out of my database for me.

is the weather supposed to be nice tomorrow? I want to do some trail riding.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i, too, want to do some riding tomorrow. however, i must be back at 6, clothed and showered, so i can't go riding with you after work. ah, yes, i think i'll go in the MORNING ahhahhaha

:D

the img tags don't work since it searches for a .gif or .jpg extension. all other extensions need not apply, including weird strings of numbers fed to cgi scripts. a few of those shots of dave turned out nice.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
actually i don't think i'm going to go today. woke up very sore -- that urban ride used back muscles that had been happily atrophying away for a year... :dead:

i'm free all day tomorrow, however...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by WTGPhoben
there's a RAGE ride in the fells tomorrow night. I'm up for that, or we could go ourselves. Either way. I'll be free after ~6. call cell.
my calendar turned out to be wrong, and i was free yesterday, but not today :dead: this weather bites my eye anyways

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
up for a loop around the fells tomorrow evening? rage or not, no difference to me. i have no schedule constraints.

update: fun fact of the day: xtr chainring bolts are apparently a few mm shorter than normal ones. thus the bolts i picked up after saturday's ride (when i lost two and bent my chainring) don't work. we shall see how the drivetrain likes to have 1.5 mm of free play this afternoon...

notice just for those not on the list: meet outside mather house at 4 pm if you wish to ride the fells today.

http://map.harvard.edu/level2/2RiverHouses.shtml

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Hey guys,

Greetings from Europe. Looks like you're having some good riding back in Boston. Unfortunately the only riding I've been doing here is on cruiser bikes on the bike paths here in NL. It's still fun, but not the same.

Ciao. :p

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mmm... firmware upgrade.

Speaking of 10d, I've been kinda disapponited with the performance of the new lens (24-85), so I decided to test the autofocus (ref. 10d focus problems)...

dpreview thread (with pics)
your lighting is bad as the thread states. can't conclude anything. plus my 50mm is a f/1.4, not the 1.8. :dead:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Toshi
your lighting is bad as the thread states. can't conclude anything. plus my 50mm is a f/1.4, not the 1.8. :dead:
I don't see how it should matter with the flash-assist enabled. The flash was plenty strong to give good clear light. at any rate, It's likely that i'm just paranoid (or spoiled after using your prime for two weeks). I've been waiting a LONG time for a day that wasn't cloudy or raining so I could go take some photos outside

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I replied to the thread... A retest with the card and better light gave the same result.

I also posted an out of focus pic for you. It's a tad backlit, but plenty reasonable.
hmm, bring your camera and that lens to the dealer you bought it from. you bought locally, right? they can tell you how to send it to the service center or exchange, etc.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by kingLatency
You photo nerds. Now that the G5 is out, I can get me a G2 or G3 for cheep! Yay!

Do you guys have any digitals that you've grown out of that you'd sell me?
nope, hehe. both ari and i are quite attached to our s30s still, and keith had his g2 stolen.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so i now have a phone. email me if you want the number. i think i already sent it to you on that mass-mail, keith.

also, i have a flash. so let the night rides commence!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
off-camera flash is fun! imagine the night ride possibilities with this. specifically, imagine a wallride with the flash at the bottom of the wall, with a huge shadow extending up the wall... mmm :D

here is a weird biking related picture, of a dual crown _rigid_ fork: :confused:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
The two crowns, when properly supported with high-density polymer foam bumpers, increase both the stiffness and inertia of the bike. This improves race performance through increased confidence and endurance gained while running with your useless bicycle strapped to your back.

BTW, anyone up for a apres work ride?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i can't do wednesdays, sorry. i could do a night ride, around 10ish, tho

more thoughts: there's apparently a firmware 1.0.1 update for your 10d, just in case you haven't checked dpreview today. also, for ari, my father is thinking of buying a g5 :eek: . i think that he only needs an iMac.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
only three pics turned out (and the wallride one had me guess incorrectly at manual focusing):

but they're dramatic, eh? :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cool, i like this one. all in all, these are much better than from the last night ride, eh

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
for those of you looking for a digital camera, B and H has an S30 in stock, used. $269. Two are listed, one is sold already apparently (got this info through a message board).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh5/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=800308303&is=USE

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh5/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=800308302&is=USE

call and ask before you order to make sure they haven't run off yet, of course

addition: i sent the 28mm in for service today. it was REALLY loose and flopping about, and is visibly soft in the lower right corner (lower left in this vertical pic):

also, here's your chance, keith: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2936297262&category=4687

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this is cute: 1Ds, 10D, G3 sensors side by side. 1Ds is huge!

also we might need you to drive too, keith, depending on how many actually show for this nh deal

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
also, for ari, my father is thinking of buying a g5 :eek: . i think that he only needs an iMac.

mmmm.....G5. ;)
Thanks for the tip also...I hadn't been checking Apple's site lately since I'm way over here.

And to think...it was exactly four years ago that the G4s came out!

I also see that Apple is getting away from the curvy thing and going back to a more retro straight lines thing...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a couple of thoughts: i want to go to the "land mine mtn bike classic" in hingham. aug 3, petewilk.com has details. also, it is costing me a bit over $350 to have this window replaced, so any humba/berkoben assistance would be just dandy.

kingLatency

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Northampton, MA
a couple of thoughts: i want to go to the "land mine mtn bike classic" in hingham. aug 3, petewilk.com has details. also, it is costing me a bit over $350 to have this window replaced, so any humba/berkoben assistance would be just dandy.
Seems like whomever loaded that bike should pay the majority of the money.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Seems like whomever loaded that bike should pay the majority of the money.
i agree. that person is not me.

anyways, i think i'm going to rye again on monday. may have extra seat(s)

added: here is a cool sequence of me caught and spliced by keith, who is on the road for a week:

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
I really want to go to Rye. Not so much to ride (I don't think I'd be great there on my bike) but mostly to play with my camera. I work nights though, and usually sleep all day. If you ever go on a Thursday or a Saturday I might be able.

Speaking of work...I've driven past half the good riding spots in this state in the past month, all without having my bike on me. I was in Lynn this morning. Otis, Wampi. Doing a good 1000 - 1800 miles a week. I need a roof rack dammit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Well, Phoben, if you'll send it to me, I'd like to see the file. If not, please explain a bit. :)
he's on a cross country trip this week, so don't expect an answer soon :D