Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by SwisSlesS
Come, I post when I'm on vacation. What do you think laptops and wireless internet are for?

j/k :p
hehe, when i take my trip later this summer, you may see some posts from the ol' cell phone :eek: :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
just a reminder to y'all, i'm going to rye tomorrow (monday). so far, the locals haven't bit -- they must have "jobs" or something crazy like that -- so i have 3 extra seats in my car. post here if you're in boston and wish to go. leaving around 10, back before 5 certainly.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Toshi
just a reminder to y'all, i'm going to rye tomorrow (monday). so far, the locals haven't bit -- they must have "jobs" or something crazy like that -- so i have 3 extra seats in my car. post here if you're in boston and wish to go. leaving around 10, back before 5 certainly.
thought of the day: highway 93 is NOT the same as highway 95. (drove up to nh on 93, checked directions on phone, slapped forehead, drove back.) oh well

kingLatency

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Northampton, MA
My mountain bike is up and running again thanks to my new cranks and some help from swiss. I say we go to the Fells some time. Now that I've started work, I'm free Saturdays and Sundays.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by kingLatency
My mountain bike is up and running again thanks to my new cranks and some help from swiss. I say we go to the Fells some time. Now that I've started work, I'm free Saturdays and Sundays.
cool. how does sunday morning sound? meet at, say, 10 am at the small parking area to the left (east?) of governors ave on south border road.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
cool. how does sunday morning sound? meet at, say, 10 am at the small parking area to the left (east?) of governors ave on south border road.
The guys I work with and I try to go riding at the Fells on Sunday mornings at that time. We meet at 9:30 and then drive up there. Do you think you could wait until Saturday night for a definite yes or no for riding on Sunday?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The guys I work with and I try to go riding at the Fells on Sunday mornings at that time. We meet at 9:30 and then drive up there. Do you think you could wait until Saturday night for a definite yes or no for riding on Sunday?
er, sure. but i'm probably going to ride then anyways...? :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Where's that? I was thinking we'd meet in the city.
oh, that's just on the edge of the fells itself, where we usually start the ride. if you would like to meet elsewhere suggest away, i'm game

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, I figured we would be meeting at the Fells like you said Toshi. Sheepfold Meadow I believe the parking lot is called.
ah, so it is. we usually meet at a lot 90 degrees around the circumference of the fells, but sheepfold probably is the easiest place to find. so 10 am at the sheepfold it is.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a heads up for keith when he returns:

the 10D's AF sensors cover a different area than the engravings on the focusing screen. this may explain many of your woes, as the sensors extend outside of where you think they would, and might pick up on other objects as a result...

kingLatency

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Northampton, MA
****, this may as well be called Toshi's photography nerd thread! :p

I'll be getting my S40 as soon as I've got the dough. :):):)

I definitely want to go on the next ride. That is, assuming someone else isn't getting married.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you're in luck: next ride is tomorrow (thursday), meet us at the fells at 5 if you want in. however, i'm not parking at sheepfold, but rather at the usual place, since i like the loop better starting from there. how to get to this mysterious lot: head up governors ave towards the fells from the tufts area, turn left (west) on south border road, go past the first no parking area, turn right into the small pull-off area where cars should be parked. look for my pathfinder:

governor's ave is the one that goes by lawrence memorial hospital (bottom, slightly left of center/hwy 93 in the lower of the two maps here):

http://www.ragemtb.com/maps/fells/maps.shtml#far

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
they're pretty tame -- bring an xc bike for sure, but there are some fun sections. cleaning the whole loop is a challenge, and being out in the woods is fun enough on its own.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
for those not on the email list, i'm heading to rye airfield tomorrow (saturday july 19). i may have an extra seat. post here before midnight if you're interested.

i'm leaving cambridge at 10 am, and will be back by 5 pm.

http://www.ryeairfield.com/

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
How fast are your lenses on them-there DSLRs? How many FPS do you shoot in burst. What technique did you use for that sequence?
I get 3fps with the canon 10d up to about 9 shots (on high res).

I was using toshi's speedlite 240ex (I think I got the model # right, toshi will undoubtedly correct me if I am wrong). With that flash, you only can get a four flash burst in the best case so I think I shot 1/125 ~f6 and I would guess that I used ISO of 800 to keep the draw on the flash low and squeeze the most shots out of it... I would have liked to used faster shutter, and ISO 400.

I kept the lens on wide (24mm) so I didn't have to pan too much, and the rest I put together in photoshop (a bit too hastily... one splice was really obvious). I sharpened it pretty heavily so the rider would stand out a bit more.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
420ex, three shots at 3fps usually is what the flash will do before not firing. keith uses slow lenses (a 3.5-4.5 zoom), i use fast lenses (2.8, 1.8, 1.4, 2.0 primes)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
just as a heads up to all, i can't ride this weekend. but if y'all want to come to f1boston, we're going on sunday. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, only film cameras, the canon 1D and the nikon d2h can do 8fps. the canon 1vhs does 15 fps or something ridiculous like that (film)