Quantcast

totally thursday

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hallo

spent about 8 hours in the ER yesterday for my son's latest mystery illness. Nothing we can do aside from let him rest and wait for it to subside. Spirits are high but he's half purple and there isn't much we can do. Off work again for most of the day I think. Poor kid I just want him to be normal.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@Sandwich hope the kid gets better!

I might have entered the final steps of purchasing a VW Golf Sportswagen. Yeah not thrilled with the timing and price etc etc, but it is what it is. I hope I'm not an idiot, but declined the extended warranty <insert meme here>. Sorry but 2 years of whatever sketch coverage they offer through a 3rd party, all for $4500 just aint in it for me. Thats approaching almost 1/4 of the price of the actual car.

Car seems nice though. Even comes with two keys and the VW crossbars on the roof.

I also got them to give me double the value for trading in the Toyota, compared to the place the other day. I just hope the car survives the drive, as long as it rolls into that parking lot. :rofl:

Just need to figure out if 15" steel rims will fit on it, so that I make good use of my practically new Nokian winter tires. I know either way, I need new rims as the center bore won't fit on the VW...

Anyways, coffee'ing it now and work.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good morning, phrens! Since I know you guys are all curious, I passed my pistol test yesterday. I was 13 for 13 in hitting the targets with two pistols. I was the only one in the class to not miss. Yay me!! So here are the next steps that need to be taken in the Nutmeg State in order to obtain a permit:
-Fill out the town's eight page application for a temporary 60 day permit
-Email the town and to set up an appointment to review my application
-Meet with town for interview
-Wait 4-12 weeks
-If approved, bring the town's permit to the state police and get fingerprinted (I am not sure what paperwork they'll have for me)
-Bring state police's permit, town's permit, class certification, and driver's license to the state's Department of Firearms Unit for final official permit (processed immediately)

All told that'll be about $250 in fees.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Getting cold today. Two pension board meetings today with a lot of time to catch up on the stuff I weeks behind on. Planning to go outdoor karting with Haley next weekend if it gets up to 50*.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Why not? Pre 2018's have an OEM option for 15" steel wheels.. I can't imagine much is different between 2017 and 2018 model years?
Time to start hunting on ebay and the random Canadia websites for some second hand steelies with the correct bolt config etc to put your winter boots on.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Time to start hunting on ebay and the random Canadia websites for some second hand steelies with the correct bolt config etc to put your winter boots on.
I found some luckily, just need to make sure the offset will work. I mean for four steel wheels, they are selling between $70-$160 (OEM version are the higher ones) so it won't be a huge loss if they don't fit.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Had a really busy day today, drove about 200km to five different jobs, on the last one I had to finish somebody else's job. I asked the dude if he wanted me to tidy the wiring up hoping he'd say no, but he said yes, boooo!
IMG_20230209_184049.jpg

IMG_20230209_184047.jpg

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Methinks >20mi at >20mph avg speed is on the horizon for me.
I've got a pretty flat 22 mile loop around town that I ride often. I know I am in strong riding shape when I can do that loop at 20+ mph.

i'll be impressed when you can hit that off the trainer.
Seems like it is actually easier to do outside than on the trainer. For some reason those trainer rides always seem tougher to hit your targets than when done outside. At least for me, anyway. Maybe CrabJoe does better indoors.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've got a pretty flat 22 mile loop around town that I ride often. I know I am in strong riding shape when I can do that loop at 20+ mph.

Seems like it is actually easier to do outside than on the trainer. For some reason those trainer rides always seem tougher to hit your targets than when done outside. At least for me, anyway. Maybe CrabJoe does better indoors.
i find the opposite, because wind resistance.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
that's about fair. also depends on the trail & climbing but yea.
That's what I'm shooting for, give or take. Typical solo rides (mtb) I do are 12-15mi with a ~7.5-9mph average depending on the place, so the increase in mileage and speed seems like a tough but achievable goal.

Edit - should also note none of this is for race preparation or strava type horseshit. I just want to not be the slowest/out-of-shapist dude in the pack for any group ride. Because I've been there a lot and it SUCKS.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Am I allowed to rate my average speed on the second half of this 94mile ride if/when I attempt it?

Screenshot 2023-02-09 084215.jpg

:D