Quantcast

Tour de France

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
EDIT: So now there saying he was riding with a fractured left elbow. He's a seated climber. Tyler Hamilton hung with everyone and got on the podium that year he had a fractured clavicle, so I don't buy that the, "my elbow ruined his tour today" excuse.
If you ever ride with significant pain that is unrelated to killing yourself on the bike, it can put a pretty significant damper on performance. Depends on pain type, intensity, and mental strength, but being anything less than 100% would be pretty tough on a stage like that.

Also, it seems that Tyler was pretty likely strongly doped up in more than one way at that point.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you ever ride with significant pain that is unrelated to killing yourself on the bike, it can put a pretty significant damper on performance. Depends on pain type, intensity, and mental strength, but being anything less than 100% would be pretty tough on a stage like that.

Also, it seems that Tyler was pretty likely strongly doped up in more than one way at that point.
If it ****s up the way you pedal it can really screw up your performance

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma

Maybe it was Tyler's internal twin that held his clavicle together? I'm speculating obviously but Cadel's arm was fractured Sunday as well and he was fine, I really think he just trained incorrectly on the rest day and his body didn't react well. Everyone's body reacts differently after a days rest.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Interesting thought, and quite possible. Maybe a combination of things. As much as I think of Cadel as being a whiny princess, I do feel a bit bad for the guy in this case. It's a little bizarre (and difficult to understand) how much pressure he gets from basically all of Australia. It's as if each time he has a bad day, he is letting down the country. The entire post-race commentary for OZ tele focused on what Cadel might have done wrong in his preparation (one commentator decided that he must have screwed up by participating in the Giro).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Interesting thought, and quite possible. Maybe a combination of things. As much as I think of Cadel as being a whiny princess, I do feel a bit bad for the guy in this case. It's a little bizarre (and difficult to understand) how much pressure he gets from basically all of Australia. It's as if each time he has a bad day, he is letting down the country. The entire post-race commentary for OZ tele focused on what Cadel might have done wrong in his preparation (one commentator decided that he must have screwed up by participating in the Giro).
Well from years and years of training at a high level in swimming I learned that you have to figure out what your body likes because not everyone is the same.

I know I had teammates that could have a really intense training week, take a day off and come back and hit intervals like it was race day, but for me, if I did that it was like I was dragging a lead weight for the next 2-3 days. I always needed to keep the intensity up and come off it very slowly.

My bet is that Cadel's body didn't get enough intensity on the rest day and he had the lead weight in full effect today.

I would buy the elbow thing if he was struggling on Sunday, but he wasn't... He was right there with the top guys.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One of the toughest things to do in cycling is fight on once you know your goals can't be met, it's so much easier if you have an injury or accident that give you an excuse. I've quit on myself a couple of times and I always regret it but it is so ****ing tough to suffer like a dog to only to achieve your best possible but mediocre results. I'm guessing that is what happened to both Lance and Cadel. At least when they lose a crapload of time they will not be marked if they try to attack and win a stage, not to mention sandbagging a stage will save them some energy to do so.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The psychological aspect of any kind of performance/endurance event is so critical. I'm not usually chasing results, and in the bigger picture mediocrity is pretty much my norm ( :D ), but still.

I think Contador is playing it coy. His team is not strong enough to defend the yellow jersey for two weeks. (And Vino just can't be trusted to help if he's got his own opportunities.) Contador would have burned a lot of matches to get away from Schleck today and instead I think he made a smart move by working with him to destroy other contenders. I suspect he's confident that he can make up his deficit to Schleck in the Pyrenees and if not, that he can produce a better time trial.

On the other hand, it would NOT be smart to go into the time trial more than a minute down, so he needs to mark Schleck carefully from here out and not have any problems.

Can't say I'm a real fan but by keeping it low key so far and racing smart he is less annoying than usual, which I guess is a compliment.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
why did one Radioshack team member yell at the lead breakaway rider after one of the big crashes in Stage 8?
is it common courtesy to wait for everyone even after a crash?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
why did one Radioshack team member yell at the lead breakaway rider after one of the big crashes in Stage 8?
is it common courtesy to wait for everyone even after a crash?
More of a gentleman's agreement than anything else. If you were to crash, you would want to have the peleton wait for you and not leave you in the dust. Common courtesy.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Haha, it looked like Vino wanted to cry when Contador came by.

:rofl:

Contador is growing on me. He's confident he's strongest on the road, and by not sitting back with Vino up the road he showed team leadership.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
There is still a lot of racing left and anything could happen. Look at Cadel in the Vuelta last year :) Maybe Contador will have a flat and 10 wheel changes.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
What were Andy and Contador doing? Seeing who could track stand the longest?? Crazy stage. Andy needs to attack Contador and get more time if he hopes to win the race.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
What were Andy and Contador doing? Seeing who could track stand the longest?? Crazy stage. Andy needs to attack Contador and get more time if he hopes to win the race.
I think he was just screwing with him today. I thought Schleck looked comfortable the entire time. We'll see.

How about Riblon??? Straight up lit them up. The frogs are bringing heat this year.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Lance seems to be doing a ****ty job of riding for Levi like he said he would. Doesn't seem like he has taken a single pull and he doesn't seeming to be pusing himself very hard. If he is resting for a stage win time is running out, you need to be both lucky and strong to win and it may take a try or two to pull it off.

Attack!
Attack!
Attack!
Attack!Attack!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Lance seems to be doing a ****ty job of riding for Levi like he said he would. Doesn't seem like he has taken a single pull and he doesn't seeming to be pusing himself very hard. If he is resting for a stage win time is running out, you need to be both lucky and strong to win and it may take a try or two to pull it off.
What I've been wondering is if they are still having teammates stay with Lance. Everytime I see him off the back he has a teammate with him. I'm not sure if he's riding with them, or if they're waiting for him.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
BS again!!!!

First Armstrong crashed and Sky Attacks. Then Schleck drops a chain and then Contador attacks. Complete and utter sh!t.

Rant over.
Right when it gets exciting Schleck drops a chain :( I think Contador was debating whether to wait or not.