Quantcast

Toyota supercar, the LF-A

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
That matte black oval split is sick. Don't like the wheels though. I don't like FUCH. I think i just like the plain and simple 5" dome wheels with whitewalls.

Man, there's a vw fanatic at my work. He's got so many of them. He has a flat black oval with a 2000cc engine in it, lowered with domes and white walls. Then he has a slammed double cab that's all ratty as hell. Super dope. Then they have a super nice bus that's got more than your usual amount of windows and it's not the bay window style. Plus, his wife has a red oval that's lowered, and he has a blue oval that he's been building for his boy and they picked up a Kharman ghia for his daughter. Oh yeah, they also have a buggy on the side of the house. I'll have to go get some pictures for proof. The family is obsessed with vw's.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
My '78 was like this:
280 block (large displacement)
240 head (better valves and chamber)
300zx turbo injectors (twice the output of stock and cheaper than after market)
Nismo cam
Nismo header
280 ignition with aftermarket coil
Weber throttle body (40mm I think, I forget)
2.5" exhaust with Gibson muffler
5 speed, factory lsd, Nismo clutch, 1" front sway bar, removed rear sway bar.

You want to talk about fast, that little bastard straight moved. 3 tickets in 6 months and I sold it. The sole reason I want another one is to do a 250 GTO body kit.
Sounds like it would've been a damn fun car to have.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
$12,398.44/month for a 24 month lease? sign me up!

The monthly lease payment on the Lexus LFA is $12.398.44. For 24 months. That's $297,562.56 worth of lease payments over two years, at the end of which you own nothing. However, Lexus is quick to point out that the LFA's MSRP is $375,000, so you're technically not paying full price. And at the end of 24 months, lessees are free to plunk down an additional $93,750 (more than the base price of a very comparable Nissan GT-R, we should mention) and buy their LFA outright.

Of course, you can't just waltz into your local Lexus dealership with $12,398.44 and rocket waltz out in an LFA. Lexus has to actually select you to lease its (admittedly awesome) car. Once you're chosen, you've got 10 days to drop off a $10,000 deposit at your local Lexus dealer and submit to a credit check. We should mention that this will not be the only deposit and credit check Lexus requires.

Once your credit checks out, you then have to deposit an additional $50,000. To mini-recap, that's $60,000 down on a $375,000 car. Sounds reasonable (from a detached, algebraic ratio perspective) until you remember that you're not buying the car, just leasing it. All of this will be/is happening from March–June 2010. Production of the LFA doesn't start until December. We don't know how long each car will take to build, but customers lessees will be required to go through a second credit check immediately prior to delivery. We're not entirely sure you really want to pass the second credit check. Here's why.

Remember the $12,398.44 per month lease payment we mentioned a couple paragraphs up? That's just the breakdown. All LFAs are being doled out via Lexus' 1Pay Lease Program. Meaning that to lease the LFA, you hand Lexus a check for $237,562.56, which is the full amount of the lease minus your $60,000 pair of deposits. Oh, and there's a $700 "aquisition fee." Plus tax, title, license and registration. The good news? Even though you have to lease the LFA, because of the lengthy approval/deposit process, each car is still made to order. Meaning that even though you don't own the car, you can still order it in Passionate Pink, a $3,000 option. Make the jump to read the pricing guide.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/17/lexus-lfa-lease-for-12-400-per-month-298-000-due-at-signi/

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
That's exactly why they are doing the lease program. It's a very limited run, they don't want them on ebay for a million dollars. Still, I think the price is a little out of hand. I'm sure they wont have a problem selling the run size that they are making, but would you really rather have this than a Ferrari 599 or an Aston DBS for your 400,000 dollars? Or how about a GTR street car, a GTR track car, and a couple hundred thousand left over for track fees and tires.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
That's exactly why they are doing the lease program. It's a very limited run, they don't want them on ebay for a million dollars. Still, I think the price is a little out of hand. I'm sure they wont have a problem selling the run size that they are making, but would you really rather have this than a Ferrari 599 or an Aston DBS for your 400,000 dollars? Or how about a GTR street car, a GTR track car, and a couple hundred thousand left over for track fees and tires.
At that price, nobody is deciding on cost. You could also ask whether the $1.5m Veyron is worth it, or whether you'd rather have 7 Gallardos (one for each day of the week) and a huge garage to put them all in. Or whether you'd rather have 15 GT-Rs and enough money left over for your own private racetrack in the country so you and your friends could race each other each weekend?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
but Lexus is only leasing the car in the U.S. everywhere else, they can buy the car outright.

In Europe the only place to buy it is in England, but they still dont have to lease the car.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
At that price, nobody is deciding on cost. You could also ask whether the $1.5m Veyron is worth it, or whether you'd rather have 7 Gallardos (one for each day of the week) and a huge garage to put them all in. Or whether you'd rather have 15 GT-Rs and enough money left over for your own private racetrack in the country so you and your friends could race each other each weekend?
That's the best idea I've ever heard, when I win powerball the racetrack is going in. Although maybe it will be a fleet of STIs and a rallycross course, makes for more contact.

I think price is sort of an issue on this particular car though. Most people spending that amount of money are spending it on status, which the Toyota doesn't really have like other exotics. What it does have is exclusivity, but then you are just buying something expensive because it's expensive. I'm not saying people won't do it, I'm just saying it's stupid.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
SOLD OUT!!!

And you thought no one would pay $375,000 and up for the 2011 Lexus LFA. Ha! It's already sold out. At least that's what Lexus officials have told AutoWeek. All 500 LFAs are spoken for, evidently; although, Toyota will only build them at a rate of 20 per month.

Another interesting tidbit: One-third of European orders for the LFA are from residents of Germany.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i was reading that the other day. its no surprise it sold out so fast.
people with money want things others cant get. if i had the coin id buy, er, lease one as well.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If its true I am really impressed and great move my Lexus. Interesting that Audi, Lexus and Mercedes has super cars but not BMW.
lexus is also losing money on each one they build purportedly. similar to Bugatti.

BMW had talked about bringing back a new version of their old M1 car, but the rumors come and go.
they also dont have a "super" luxury car like the Merc S55/65 or Audi S8.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
lexus is also losing money on each one they build purportedly. similar to Bugatti.

BMW had talked about bringing back a new version of their old M1 car, but the rumors come and go.
they also dont have a "super" luxury car like the Merc S55/65 or Audi S8.
Supposedly the NSX was built at a loss also, if true it is more impressive since it was built for longer and had many changes through the years.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Supposedly the NSX was built at a loss also, if true it is more impressive since it was built for longer and had many changes through the years.
really?
youd figure towards the end of the run, it would have been somewhat profitable.
i can see early on that could be true since the car was pretty state of the art for it's time, but 15 years of production is a LONG time for a single model car with relatively minor enhancements.
they actually just retired the NSX race cars this year in the SuperGT series

if the Bugatti and LFA are sold at a loss, id be interested to see how much companies like Koenniggseeigg, Zonda, Gumpert and the like are making or losing.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
you can now buy the car before your 2-year $300k lease period is up, but theres a hitch...

American customers will now be able to buy the LFA outright, but only on the condition that they sign an agreement giving the dealer first right of refusal to buy back the LFA if the owner wants to sell it within the first two years. The dealer will have the option to buy back the used LFA for either fair market value or the original sticker price, whichever is lower.

What happens if an owner sells the LFA within two years having not given the dealer the chance to buy it back first? The dealer is owed the difference between what the buyer originally paid for the car and what he sold it for, plus any legal fees. So whether you decide to lease or buy the LFA, Toyota is going to considerable lengths to ensure that no speculators will make a profit on reselling the LFA during the first two years.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/05/lexus-allowing-outright-purchase-of-lfa-in-u-s-demands-right-o/

copy of agreement and option list:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/lexus-lf-a-purchasing-letter/full/#3237824

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
surprised over 8 pages thread :P for me the design is not my cup of tea, though sound is cool.

porsche 918 is ... nevermind .. ;)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I read a comparison between the LFA and an AMG Mercedes (SLR, I think). The article said both cars were VERY comparable until you looked at the transmissions, where the LFA lagged WAY behind the Mercedes.