Quantcast

Trail Dog

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Anyone take their dog with them when they ride trails?

I have a 6mo black lab that I would like to take biking with me. He is well trained, Heels, sits & comes on command. I think he would do good. How did you teach your dog to run with you? Does your dog run in front or behind you?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Anyone take their dog with them when they ride trails?

I have a 6mo black lab that I would like to take biking with me. He is well trained, Heels, sits & comes on command. I think he would do good. How did you teach your dog to run with you? Does your dog run in front or behind you?
The first couple times I had a leash on him and I held it with my hand. That didn't work well.

Finally i just rode and he followed. My dog is an Australian Cattle dog so he is bred to work with horsemen so he follows my bike very well.

I would suggest a few test rides on open simple trails. Work your way up from there. You'll be able to tell if your dog can follow you right away.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
my Aussie loves to ride with me, but i need to keep a leash on him which can be sketchy.
he also wants to sprint every friggin where, which can be scary as well since he runs in front of me. if he stops, i stop on him if im not johnny on the spot with the brakes.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I used to have a trail goat. When he was a kid he always followed me. I took him to the trails a few times. He would always run on side or behind me. Once he got older he grew out of following me everywhere, eventually we sold him. I might have a video somewhere.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Both of my dogs(90lbs and 12lbs) will run with me on the trail, I typically just take my bluetick(big) with me. He runs in front and waits for me every couple hundred yards. The small dog runs in front or behind me depending on how fast I'm going. I get afraid that I will run her over so I leave her at home most of the time.

If your dog is 6 months right no wI would start now. Labs are very very good at staying close to the owner. Take it out on a short ride soon to get trained on what to do.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I have not hit the trails yet, but my boy loves the pump track! He always stays on my back left.

When I go around clockwise he chases me and keeps pace. But when I change directions (bonus berm) so that he is on the inside... he always cuts me off on the big corner. I had to run him over a few times to let him know that it was a bad idea.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I used to have a trail goat. When he was a kid he always followed me. I took him to the trails a few times. He would always run on side or behind me. Once he got older he grew out of following me everywhere, eventually we sold him. I might have a video somewhere.
Its like a really bad car wreck, you just cant quit looking/reading.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Ill probably be hitting the trails for the first time this year, next weekend. Ill take him along and see how he does. After my lazy butt sitting around all winter he should have an easy time keeping up. I think he will do pretty good.

Thanks!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I used to take both of my boxers with me all the time. One of them just moved on to better things late september. His body gave up on him. Specifically his liver. Poor little guy.
So i got another boxer. A puppy that was 8 months old. I took him a few times. He was crazy. Total runner. He is all over the place. He was starting to learn that he should stay on trails and move out of peoples' way. But he only went three times before the snow came. It just takes time. They are way faster than we can be on the uphill. So sometimes they will run pretty far ahead and you'll worry about them even coming back. Mine usually run ahead and come back to check on me to make sure i'm still on my way. On the downhill, he sticks behind me and to the side. It just takes a lot of rides for them to get used to what they are going to be doing. Take the dog to trails that aren't very busy. It's easier for them to keep from being distracted by other people or dogs.

When they would be in front of me and going slow or stopping to smell bushes, i would pull my front wheel up and turn it into them to give them a little love tap so they know that when i'm coming up, they need to move. They learn pretty quickly. Taking them biking makes them way happy.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i remember way back in the dawn of time...a video of a saluki running with a guy on a trail being posted on mtbr...it was one of the most beuatiful things to see.

if you want to take your dog on the trail...take enough water for him....be prepared to haul him out if he gets hurt....be prepared for heart break if he takes off and you never see him again.

Last edited:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
if you want to take your dog on the trail...take enough water for him....be prepared to haul him out if he gets hurt....be prepared for heart break if he takes off and you never see him again.
OK Mr. Sunshine...

However he has a point.

I would make sure you've got him tagged or chipped just in case!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have lived in Connecticut my entire life and am not familiar with the beastiality laws.
That is not a valid legal defense, not that I would know about all that.

Both my Rottie and my Boxer were awesome trail dogs with proper training and care. Most dogs can be taught to behave off lead, but not all will make good trail dogs.

Don;t just take your dog with you and hope for the best. Take the time to train your dog what to do and how to behave when riding. It takes time and effort, but the payoff is well worth it.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
I've got a 4 yo border collie aussie shepherd mix that loves to go biking. She did her first ride at about 6 months old. Start with a short, un-crowded trail and plan to take it easy. From there you'll just want to gradually increase the distance/difficulty etc. At this point she can keep up with me on a 15 mile ride. She cuts corners on twisty trails, and gets behind on the longer downhills, but she always catches up again.

My biggest concern, is what do I do when she gets injured and can't walk out. Have you ever tried carrying a 40 pound dog while walking a bike? This is something to keep in mind when you go out with your dog. I always bring a leash, some water for her, and some foot-booties that I can cover her paws with if she tears a pad (hasn't happened yet knock on wood).

In addition to that, and I swear I'm not making this up, I've trained her to ride on my back. I pick her up and put her front paws over my shoulders, her back paws kind of dig in to the camelback. I reach up and hold her collar with one my right hand while carefully controlling the bike with my left. It's not perfect, but I can easily cover a couple miles quickly if I need to. This wasn't my idea initially. I heard of someone else doing the same thing and thought it was worth trying out. I now use it pretty regularly on one ride that ends with about 2 miles of downhill road riding at the end. The dog is tired and would have to take it easy, and the pavement isn't that good for her pads. Instead I just put her on my bike and ride the hill at almost regular speed.

This might not work for everyone. Regardless, think about what you will do if your dog is injured and can't walk out. Mainly though, just start off small, and work up to bigger and bigger things.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah, be patient. It'll take them a while to get used to what's going on and what they need to be doing. It's so overwhelming for them when they are let off a leash around a ton of trees and endless places to run around. THey just want to go everywhere. I usually bring a whistle (cuz i can't whistle for poop) so i can use it if he gets a little bit behind or ahead and out of sight.

Dogs like to chase things. The thing that i would do is leave my dog in the car while i geared up and got on my bike. Then i'd let him out and just take off and yell at him to get his attention so he sees me. Then they'd run after you. Remember, be patient. It'll take them some time. You'll think they're doing awesome until you run into another biker and your dog follows them instead of you.

Oh yeah, take the dog to a trail where there aren't any busy roads around the trail head. The first time i took my first boxer out, he got out and ran straight up to a highway. I was super bummed and thought i was going to see him get ran over. Then a car came down a little dirt road that he was running up and it scared him enough to make him turn back. That could've really sucked.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Im not too worried about him taking off. He is a hunting dog and is used to being off-leash in the woods. He is e-collar trained to "come", the e-collar has a half mile reach. I would put the collar on him until I know he knows what to do, just to be safe.

I have a first aid kit I use on hunts, I would pack that. I would also bring enough water for the both of us.

Luckily, the trails I would start him off on are in parks. I am never far from a parking lot or road if he gets injured. The only problem I could foresee at this moment is that he loves people. I could see him want to meet everyone that comes along on the trail.

I have met a lot of dogs on the trails in years past to know that some can be a pest. If I didn't think he could be trained I wouldn't put other riders through dealing with my dog.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Im not too worried about him taking off. He is a hunting dog and is used to being off-leash in the woods. He is e-collar trained to "come", the e-collar has a half mile reach. I would put the collar on him until I know he knows what to do, just to be safe.

I have a first aid kit I use on hunts, I would pack that. I would also bring enough water for the both of us.

Luckily, the trails I would start him off on are in parks. I am never far from a parking lot or road if he gets injured. The only problem I could foresee at this moment is that he loves people. I could see him want to meet everyone that comes along on the trail.

I have met a lot of dogs on the trails in years past to know that some can be a pest. If I didn't think he could be trained I wouldn't put other riders through dealing with my dog.
First, what the hell is an e-collar?

I used to take Miss Priss on trail rides & the last time (not the last time b/c of this just happened to be the last time) we rode, we were finishing a loop & I was ready to go home (she was too) we get to a trail intersection as another rider entered, as I was leaving & Roxi Rose decides she wants to another loop with the other rider. Long story short. I had to ride another loop so she could see that it was not me she was "riding" with. We walked out with her on the leash & me dog tired :-)D) & pissed. Not to mention I felt betrayed that she rather run with the other dude.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
My dogs are way social. But they learn to just keep on running if you leave them when they go to socialize. My dogs aren't the best at getting out of the way when another biker comes, but most of the bikers out here are really cool with it and understand. They are just dogs. They aren't all that smart and they don't know trail ettiquette.

My dogs have tried to follow other riders before too. Sketchy, especially if the rider is kind of being a prick and doesn't stop so you can get your dogs' attention. Most of the riders out here are cool though. seems like a lot of bikers have dogs or have had dogs and totally understand.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
My friend has to give up his dog, and I'm thinking about taking it rather than letting it get killed at the pound. I really like the dog, and it's definitely big/fast enough to keep up, I just hope he can deal with being off leash without disappearing. We have a great dog park nearby so I guess that'll be the first test. I suppose if he's stupid enough to run off and disappear right away, the question of whether i can keep the dog will be moot.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
My dog pedal loves to run with me in the neighborhood, on trails, etc.. When your dog is that young, I would keep it shorter distance, you don't want to f up their joints by having them run too hard or too long. Aussie/something mix.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I took my two JRT's on one trail trip.
12 hours and many, many miles later I worked out just how bad of an idea this was.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
but listen to SteveW...cuz not all dogs are trail dogs.
losing a dog sucks.

microchips don't always stay in the same place they were injected.

as much as i like the idea of a trail dog....i can't stand people who don't have control of their dogs.

Last edited:

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
First, what the hell is an e-collar?
electric collar. Like a shock collar but on a remote that has adjustable power to it. Its only used for correction. Like if I say "come" a couple times and he doesn't. He knows what it means so a very low stimulation gets his attention.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Watch their feet. I had a rotty that if it was the least bit rocky would tear her feet up, and a Weimaraner that could go over the same terrain with no problem.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
yeah. you definitely have to ease them into running on the trail. Right now my dogs feet feel like chewed gum just from walking around on the carpets all the time. When they get out and run around more, they toughen up.

Nice eyeballs on that dog. My white boxer has eyes like that. The left one is blue, the right one is black. He's pretty creepy looking. Friggin goofball though.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
as much as i like the idea of a trail dog....i can't stand people who don't have control of their dogs.
I understand how it can be frustrating. I wish my dogs would listen better sometimes. They are dogs though. Not exactly soldiers. My doofus dogs listen good enough to follow me out riding and back without causing drama on the trail. But when another dog is involved, of course they don't listen nearly as well. Just like a kid. Time to show off and push buttons of the parent.