Quantcast

transition bikes

dhracer309

Chimp
Oct 1, 2008
The dirty 330
does anyone have a transition bottlerocket or dirtbag?
if so how does it ride on DH stuff. i am looking for a good all FR/DH witha little bit of jumping in it would any of these bikes be good

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I lvoe my Dirtbag for DH. FOr me tis a great feel. I dont have the cash to have a trail bike, an xc bike, a full blown DH bike ETC. SO I have the Dirtbag. I run a double and a DRS. I can climb on it without problem, and decend like a mad man. With the 66ETA on the front I can switch from up to down with the flick of a switch. BB is a little hi, but you get used to it. Plush ride, good cornering, takes a hell of a hit.

couple pics for ya

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
I owned the Dirtbag for 2 seasons.. it's a very solid bike
I rode everything on it.. local XC, DH shuttles, i dirt jumped it, took it to bike parks (which is where it really opened up), and even raced it. It's a very good do-it-all bike.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i got my BR because i couldn't afford a bike for every genre and about 80% of my riding is backwoods trails, stunts and dj's. i race sport class DH at some local pedally stuff as well as some big mtn runs and it handles just fine. it's not as smooth over the fast chattery stuff as my demo8 was but, after 2 days on it at snowshoe last month, i think it might be quicker through the bigger boulder rock gardens than my demo was.

if you're leaning toward being a full on DH racer then get a dh rig. if you race on occasion and you're not looking to blow the semi-pro class away and you just want a capable bike then a BR or dirtbag is the way to go.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
I have a bottlerocket and its a great bike. I also use it for everything dh freeride xc. The only thing about it is I feel like I could use some more travel on the dh runs. I think it is a great bike if you are a more nimble rider and want something you can just toss around. But I think I tend to plow to much for it.

dhracer309

Chimp
Oct 1, 2008
The dirty 330
thanks everyone i am trying to convince my dad to let me get one but he says if i am going to spend money on a dh bike get an american made but i feel that a transition is the best out there. So thank you guys for the good reviews on it.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
thanks everyone i am trying to convince my dad to let me get one but he says if i am going to spend money on a dh bike get an american made but i feel that a transition is the best out there. So thank you guys for the good reviews on it.
o_O ... its not like youre buying a car.

and transition bikes is one of the best built bikes out there.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
does he care that American made DH frames are nearly twice the price?
(i'm assuming he's helping with the purchase?)

If he doesn't then by all means get a Turner or an Intense :happydance:
you can still grab a Small or Medium DHR at go-ride for 1600 bucks... hell of a deal

Last edited:

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
bottle rocket has a lower BB and corners better, I have a BR now, it replaced a DB, the BR will be better for jumping as well, mine is my AM bike right now, I also have a blindside now. I did use my BR for a while as my only bike and it was fine, rougher trails can be a hand full but it makes you pick better lines.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
does he care that American made DH frames are nearly twice the price?(i'm assuming he's helping with the purchase?)

There not all twice the price. Transition is ver reasonably priced.

Blindside frame 1545

Turner DHR<08>2799 full retai, sale for 2399
Turner DHR<09>Still not listed
Demo8 09 frame 2200
Session88 DH COmplete bike 6379, not available on website yet
Session88 FR Complete 6049

Blindside Complete......3650 with a boxxer team.

SO no not all American frames are twice the price.

One more thing to remember about Transition, everyone who works there ride there products and beats them all the same. Not to mention extremly great people to work with

Last edited:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I've ridden both the Bottle rocket and a Blindside and have also ridden with Joel^^^.

It really doesn't matter if he says either bike is fast because I think any bike he's riding will be fast! I would listen to what he says about the feel of the bikes.

If you go to Whistler and love rippin' A-line and Dirt Merchant and don't ride anything else (maybe Crank it Up) then the BR is for you. If you want to ride the upper mountain/Schleyer/Crack Addict, they are all more fun on a bigger bike. That said I have ridden some super tech lines with a guy on a BR and had a hard time keeping up with him on Rock City/Clown Shoes/Joyride. He grew up racing and jumping BMX bikes though and has amazing riding skills.

The BR can be ridden anywhere and like Joel said it will make you a better rider for it. That said I don't think either bike has much finesse in the design. Transitions do have great geometry and are generally tough as nails and a great value. I would decide what you want to do and maybe look at the Blindside as well. I really liked the way it rode when I took it for a lap.

dhracer309

Chimp
Oct 1, 2008
The dirty 330
well i am paying for the whole thing myself and i would like to keep it under 2000 maybe 2500 if it is agreat bike. my dad just thinks that if it isnt made in america it is gunna break. i ride at snowshoe and am on an 03 kona stab with a avalanch shock and deff need to upgrade frame cause that thing is getting old and it is a little small for me

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
Yeah and you can tell your dad that no one has ever broken a TBC Bottlerocket, and very very few of any of the others, and that if something ever did happen to any Transition you got, you would have absolutely no issue getting it taken care of.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Yeah and you can tell your dad that no one has ever broken a TBC Bottlerocket, and very very few of any of the others, and that if something ever did happen to any Transition you got, you would have absolutely no issue getting it taken care of.
I hate to contradict you but, I feel I must. 3 years on my Bottlerocket took it's toll. I cracked it at the weld in front of my bottom bracket. I got a crash replacement front triangle on monday, and I can't wait to ride it again. Their CS is top notch.

That said, I weigh anywhere between 185-210lbs and I ride hard.
I ride a lot rocky east coast of DH on it too

One more thing. Transition is an American Company. That doesn't meen their bikes are made here.

to the Op:
I hope I haven't steered you away from buying a transition. I have a lot of faith in their products, and own 2 of their bikes.

dhracer309

Chimp
Oct 1, 2008
The dirty 330
I hate to contradict you but, I feel I must. 3 years on my Bottlerocket took it's toll. I cracked it at the weld in front of my bottom bracket. I got a crash replacement front triangle on monday, and I can't wait to ride it again. Their CS is top notch.

That said, I weigh anywhere between 185-210lbs and I ride hard.
I ride a lot rocky east coast of DH on it too

One more thing. Transition is an American Company. That doesn't meen their bikes are made here.

to the Op:
I hope I haven't steered you away from buying a transition. I have a lot of faith in their products, and own 2 of their bikes.
No you havent steered my away i actually i really am all for transition now cause there has not been one really big negative thing said about them anywhere. I also do know that they arent made in america which is one of the reasons why i might not get one casue my dad wants it to be.

One more thing to anyone what is the downlow on the blindside. how does it perform on freeride and jumps well how they perform in snowshoe stlye trails

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
That is crazy you broke a br....kindof impressive...
As far as it being made in America, you realize that pretty much everything else that you will need to build up the bike is going to be from overseas? And while Transitions are made overseas, the folks that own the company are over there pretty regularly making sure that everything is done to their standards and have direct involvement with how everything is manufactured. That is another reason why the quality is so high.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
i rode for transition last year. kevin is very helpful and easy to approach and talk to if you have issues with your ride. they really go out of your way to take care of you. There a big company with still the "garage company" service.

i rode a blindside for downhill, rode about 15 days with it in whistler and loved it, it was actually quiter then my sunday and DHR :D

although, that has to do with a better setup by me tis season. but after comming off an 07 sunday and 08 dhr i felt more at home on the blindside, great bike.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Blindsides are radical bicycle machines! i have had one for the entire 08 season, and could not be more pumped! i was coming off a sunday, and was way more stoked on the blindside....

i was 6'1 tall and rode a large with mucho stokage and trance music....

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I rode my Blindside at Snowshoe last year and I have to say that I was really impressed. It was fast, plush and stable. Does the big jumps and hucks very well. It corners as well or better than any bike I've ridden. It won't do dirt jumps well because it's long, plush and heavy but it does fly nicely on the big stuff.

If you're going to be riding Snowshoe do yourself a favor and get the Blindside. I went from the BR to the B-side. The Blindside is much better suited for the insane rocks and roots at the Shoe.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Hope I'm not thread jacking here, but I need some advice. I'm on a Spec SXT right now, but I think that when I go to college next year I'll want something with a little more travel and a little bit less all around versatility. I'm likely going to school at UW in Seattle, and while my SXT has been rad, I just feel like trying something new and I can't say I'm a big FSR fan. Would Blindside be a good option? I've never owned a big bike before, both of my past bikes have been 7". I've been looking at loads of other frames, but none have really been DH worthy while still being versatile enough to pedal around if I want to go do some moderate trail riding (slowly of course). Opinions?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
The blindside is a great bike for what your describing, as long as you realize now that your not going to be climbing alot. Other than that, if you want something that feels pretty damn bottokless, 7 in travel that isnt FSR, I might be willing to sell the Dirtbag frame, wheelset, drive train, cranks, and seat post. Oh, and a set of tires out of my used collection

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the blindside pedals ok, mine has a vivid, a dhx might be be better with the propedal. It pedals as good as any 8in bike could, smooth pedal strokes are best. the blindside is pretty slack for slower xc trails. fun bike

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
". I've been looking at loads of other frames, but none have really been DH worthy while still being versatile enough to pedal around if I want to go do some moderate trail riding (slowly of course). Opinions?

I've got a Kona Stinky for sale.... heh.

Zhendo: What you describe sounds exactly like me 2 months ago. I had an SX trail that I loved to DEATH, but I wanted a real DH bike. I got the Blindside and it is just completely awesome. I'm too tired right now to tell you any details, but go for it. I feel no brakejack at all, and the suspension is super plush.