Quantcast

Trek freeride bike....finally!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im getting a little tired of the "flames" paintjobs everyone is using to look "X Treme" but other than that, the bike looks very useable.

Id ride one.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Veery good, but i cannot say more given just pictures... all i know is that Trek beeing so rich as a company offers full lifetime backup. And this is the first Trek FR bike... i am so happy that another big company joins the hardcore bike bandwaggon.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by math2014
Veery good, but i cannot say more given just pictures... all i know is that Trek beeing so rich as a company offers full lifetime backup. And this is the first Trek FR bike... i am so happy that another big company joins the hardcore bike bandwaggon.
Its limited and is only 1 year on the dh bike. I expect the same for this bike...

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Im getting a little tired of the "flames" paintjobs everyone is using to look "X Treme" but other than that, the bike looks very useable.

"The anodized finished product will be available in small (15.5”), medium (17.5”), and large (19.5”) sizes; Shandro's flame paint job was a one-off ."

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
After owning a y-bike I have no doubt they can make a GNARCORE freeride rig:p

Seriously, this is like showing up to the kegger at 1 am and bitching that theres no beer or chicks. Too late Trek, you lost the market tools:eek:

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Originally posted by Zark
After owning a y-bike I have no doubt they can make a GNARCORE freeride rig:p

Seriously, this is like showing up to the kegger at 1 am and bitching that theres no beer or chicks. Too late Trek, you lost the market tools:eek:
Too late? Is freeriding suddenly no longer the fastest growing part of mountain biking?:confused: :eek:

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Wow ! A four bar design! How Innovative! They are certain to shake up the marketplace with this one...

(caugh... caugh... Sarcasm...)

I am sure with their distribution channel they can sell a ton of them though.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
I like that one of the big boys has adopted the 1.5 standard. Hopefully a player other than Manitou (and Magura) would like to spec their fork it, and will contemplate an offering.

Hmmmmmmm.... a 1.5" steerer single-crown boxxer based the '05 boxxer platform... :D :devil:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Quite frankly, I think it's kinda silly to offer a lifetime warranty on an AL frame - especially one that's going to be abused. Not that I haven't taken advantage of said warranty (3 new rear triangles on my old Sugar), but I eventually got tired of waiting around for a new triangle and becoming increasingly stunned that Trek/GF never has made any effort to correct the defect in the chain stay crossmember. I wondered how many freaking frames do those guys have? And how can you make money when you have to continually send out new rear triangles? Not to mention the Fuel's swell little habit of cracking at the rocker link pivot located on the seat tube...So if Trek wants to offer a lifetime warranty on an aluminum 7" FR bike, that's their business...I just think they're asking for it...

However, I was glad to see they didn't try that pivotless chain/seat stay flex crap on this bike (e.g. like they did on the Fuel and Liquid)...But it looks like a faux bar to me (ala Kona Stinky)...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Ronny Grady
Wow ! A four bar design! How Innovative! They are certain to shake up the marketplace with this one...

To give them some credit. The are offering things up a little different than most companies. But yeah it isn't totally unique

I don't think anyone is saying they missed the boat entirely...but they are in a raft trying to keep up...I think their pricepoint will help them a lot seeing as the bike looks to be selling for the same price as the entire diesel frame.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909

Other than a VPP linkage, name one bike who's linkage is original :rolleyes: :think:

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA

If it ain't broken...

Also, there are some innovations that separate this from your garden variety single pivot 4-bar (the Kona Stinky for example). Look at the seat-stay pivots. And the drop-outs. And the 1.5 headtube...

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by MtnbikeMike
Too late? Is freeriding suddenly no longer the fastest growing part of mountain biking?:confused: :eek:
No, just too late for Trek to come out with a restyled Stinky with big pivots to compete with other more innovative designs.

They neglected it entirely, because they focus on very XC bikes. They don't have much or any cred. in the scene. And this last ditch attempt to get some market share will hopefully blow up in their face.

Support those who are willing to listen to riders. Its like Trek's board finally realized freeride isn't going away. Duh! They have done nothing to foster freeriding so far, I wonder why anyone would be interested in them and that company.

Don't mind me, I just HATE that company with a passion:devil:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Incubus
If it ain't broken...

Also, there are some innovations that separate this from your garden variety single pivot 4-bar (the Kona Stinky for example). Look at the seat-stay pivots. And the drop-outs. And the 1.5 headtube...
That dropout is awesome. I just don't like the chainstay size. (not that I think it will affect anything as the design might take it into account) but I love thicker stays haha

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
"FSR 4-bar Militia"

.....I figured
Dood, its got nothing to do with the suspension design, I'm sure that Trek rides great. I'd just rather ride a bike not made by suits who don't give a phuq about real riders.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Dood, its got nothing to do with the suspension design, I'm sure that Trek rides great. I'd just rather ride a bike not made by suits who don't give a phuq about real riders.

Lance, Rollie, Bootes and Shandro are all made of plastic with a motor inside;)

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Lance, Rollie, Bootes and Shandro are all made of plastic with a motor inside;)
Wow, you proved my point exactly! They cater to racers, not riders. And Shandro was brought on to make this bike happen since they dropped the ball

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Wow, you proved my point exactly! They cater to racers, not riders. And Shandro was brought on to make this bike happen since they dropped the ball
From what I know, Lance does help w/ a little R&D

He's not REALLY plastic:thumb:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm no fan of Trek, but it's cool to see 1.5 headtubes on one of the big 3's bikes. Maybe now Marzocchi and RockShox will acknowledge that it's a good idea, and stop being morons and ignoring it just because it was Manitou's idea :rolleyes:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
name one........oh yeah, nicolai dosn't count
VPP from Santa Cruz or Intense isn't original anyway is it?

Didn't Outland bikes or someone like that come up with the original concept and built a few frames around it too didn't they?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Originally posted by Echo
I'm no fan of Trek, but it's cool to see 1.5 headtubes on one of the big 3's bikes. Maybe now Marzocchi and RockShox will acknowledge that it's a good idea, and stop being morons and ignoring it just because it was Manitou's idea :rolleyes:
No way, Bryson Martin will just keep writing letters to MBA saying how everyone should boycott Manitou and then produce another boat anchor called the Z170SL. Standard steerer, of course.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Originally posted by dante
Maverick ML7.
GT I-Drive (second version).
Canfield fatty-fat.
DW Link by IH.

:p

Maverick copied the front suspension of a car, GT copied their old design my making their I-drive less refined-looking, I forgot what the Canfield looks like, and Ska Todd already used the DW link :eviltongu

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Maverick copied the front suspension of a car, GT copied their old design my making their I-drive less refined-looking, I forgot what the Canfield looks like, and Ska Todd already used the DW link :eviltongu
ok, so I'll overlook the fact that Maverick copied a car's suspension, and todd already mentioned the HP, and I'll even say that Canfield only uses additional linkage in their fatty fat to adjust the shock movement on their parrallel-linkage design, but GT's I-Drive 2 is actually completely different from their original. Whereas the orignal XCR used a floating bb, the new bike uses linkages to connect the bb shell to the frame and doesn't use a solid rear triangle. So while the end result is the same, the actual means that it uses to achieve it is completely different. So there!! :p

http://www.gtbicycles.com/mountain/tech/idrive.php

vs the old model:
http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~olahe/Bike/Rear/idrive.html

:D

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Well I seriously don't care if it is unique. It looks like a decent bike with some unique options (compared to the other big companies anyways).

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, WTF are you people wining for? If you dont like it, dont buy. Its that simple...

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
There were a couple cats testing them at whistler on saturday...seemed like nice rigs, not all that innovative but still quality

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
name one........oh yeah, nicolai dosn't count
What new suspension designs does Nicolai use? They're single-pivots and 4-bars from what I know of the F/S bikes...

Anyhow, Trek takes a lot of flak for marketing to yuppies. Hey, someone's gotta do it, and yuppies have more money than most "real" riders anyhow. Plus some yuppies ARE real riders and ride their Treks a lot more than I ride my Turner, I've gotta admit.

However, Trek is no more "good" or "evil" than any other business; it's just marketing and perception.

Looks like a pretty cool bike to me. Nothing hugely interesting, but a nice combination of features and aesthetics. I'm with Burly on this one 100%. Just don't buy one if you don't like it.

MD