Quantcast

Trek freeride bike....finally!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by MikeD

However, Trek is no more "good" or "evil" than any other business; it's just marketing and perception.
They hired Zapata Espinosa, didn't they?

I'd say that tips them to "evil" fairly firmly. :D

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Silver
They hired Zapata Espinosa, didn't they?

I'd say that tips them to "evil" fairly firmly. :D
Rats. You have me.

Maybe we should have DW make him some custom Makrolon earplugs with the "Evil" branding on them...??

MD

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Rats. You have me.

Maybe we should have DW make him some custom Makrolon earplugs with the "Evil" branding on them...??

MD
Hmm, not bad. How about a clear soundproof dome that fit over his head, letting him see out into the world, but preventing him from expressing his thoughts out loud ever again...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
No, we'd just need one huge mouth plug and makrolon mittens to keep him from typing.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Who cares if they are a bit late. I think the bike looks really cool, I would ride one. I am glad to see some bigger companies coming out with more affordable freeride bikes. This will add into the bighit, sgs, ac mix, and give poor people like me more options. Cool.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by MtnbikeMike
Maverick copied the front suspension of a car, GT copied their old design my making their I-drive less refined-looking, I forgot what the Canfield looks like, and Ska Todd already used the DW link :eviltongu
If I recall the Canfield is similar to a Cortina DH-8 (older bike)

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Originally posted by T-Pirate
Who cares if they are a bit late. I think the bike looks really cool, I would ride one. I am glad to see some bigger companies coming out with more affordable freeride bikes. This will add into the bighit, sgs, ac mix, and give poor people like me more options. Cool.
WERD. Not everyone has the money to shell out for a top of the line, frame only bike. Adding another bike to the 'value' lineup can only be good.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by T-Pirate
You'd think it will be affordable. However, prior to TREK disclosing the MSRP of the deisel, I bet nobody would've guessed the it would retail for the astronimical that it did.

Odds are that this bike will be a higher volume bike than the deisel, so it's more likely that it'll be more affordable than the deisel was.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
Oh, theyre much much more :devil:
4-bars and single pivots with lots of holes, then?

Don't get me wrong; I ride a nicolai (HT) myself. Best HT for my purposes that I've ridden. But what other suspension designs do they use?? The "complicated" Nucleon is a single-pivot, even.

MD

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
no way, trek had a y bike with 5"....y5 maybe? My friend used to own one, claimed it was the "best trek ever" and attempted to pawn it on MTBR for 3300 after it was well used.

That bike sucked. This one reminds me of the deisel, a little late to the game, nothing to get excited about. If it's cheap enough I'll be impressed though.

I have to agree though, I find very few bikes exciting nowadays simply because their suspension designs are so dated. So a stinky linkage works "ok". Why not make something that works better?

Too bad the dw link doesn't come in a 6-7" travel package, at around 9 lbs. I'd buy one...or two. Same thing with the astrix, which I am a big fan of. If it were only a little bit lighter.....sigh.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
4-bars and single pivots with lots of holes, then?

Don't get me wrong; I ride a nicolai (HT) myself. Best HT for my purposes that I've ridden. But what other suspension designs do they use?? The "complicated" Nucleon is a single-pivot, even.

MD
Damn! no one is supposed to logically reply to my post, i was just screwing around :D

I know theyre all single pivot, linkage driven single pivot, or FSR 4-bar

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Originally posted by Sandwich
Too bad the dw link doesn't come in a 6-7" travel package, at around 9 lbs. I'd buy one...or two. Same thing with the astrix, which I am a big fan of. If it were only a little bit lighter.....sigh.
Arg weight whinning. I ride a 32 pound HT for everything. It is the only bike that I own and I just deal with and put 10 pounds more efort when I do XC runs on it.
Personaly I think Treks entry is cool and with it being Trek more people will get interested in freeriding.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Originally posted by dante
Maverick ML7.
GT I-Drive (second version).
Canfield fatty-fat.
DW Link by IH.

:p
Maverick and I-drive are one in the same arent they?...I mean, that must be why Maverick was paying royalty's to GT Bikes...well, until Maverick stopped paying a year or so ago- which resulted in ole mr cochran knocking on their door-scoundrels.

{{{EDIT}}}
I forgot, this is a Trek posting, so I will turn it back to Trek talk...I checked the bike out at Big Bear-it was pretty cool looking in a "how it was made" aspect-it just looked to me like a replica of the old Turner bike that Tomas Misser rode to World Cup victory in 1996.

Stikman
Dirt Magazine
Team GT/HYUNDAI

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Replaceable drop-outs can be adjusted to accommodate a 24” wheel or different rear axles (5mm quick release, 10mm through-axle, or Saint). Standard headtube geometry is set at 66.5°, and riders can add about a degree of steepness by moving the drop-outs.

Nice.

Anyone else notice that they've even slapped Bontrager's name on an FR wheelset too?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I think it's amazing Trek has something heavier duty now. If had a need for a FR bike and if I wasn't in obsolute debt, I'd be looking at Trek. As a company, Trek has kick ass customer service....and all you guys saying it's a copy or ripoff from a Stinky, I dare you to deal with Kona's world class garbage customer service!! Also, Trek tends to go a little overkill when it comes to manufacturing (that's a good thing) which partly explains why the Diesel was so expensive.

As far as this bike having unoriginal suspension, what about all the guys riding Azonic, Iron Horse, Kona, Banshee...etc bikes??

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
What new suspension designs does Nicolai use? They're single-pivots and 4-bars from what I know of the F/S bikes...

Anyhow, Trek takes a lot of flak for marketing to yuppies. Hey, someone's gotta do it, and yuppies have more money than most "real" riders anyhow. Plus some yuppies ARE real riders and ride their Treks a lot more than I ride my Turner, I've gotta admit.
MD
Ahhhhh...Nicolai frames are soooooo much more!!! :D

But I do agree with what you're saying about Trek.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Too bad the dw link doesn't come in a 6-7" travel package, at around 9 lbs. I'd buy one...or two.
Certain people have been reading your mind... ;)

coughfarkincough

cough7POINTcough

-ska todd

2inthehole

Chimp
May 21, 2004
central
i think everyone hates trek because the domonate the market...they have the road, the XC and now i think everyone is afraid they will take over the freeride side of things. i think trek does a great job in the business...thats why they dominate....
just because everyone views trek as a big business monster doesnt mean they make crap....it means they're smart on what they design and just ecause they're a few years behind in the FR era doesnt mean the bike is a "one off" form everyone elses rides...its because its what works best. proved last weekend by a racer...look at the reviews the bike got on its first ride...yah the paint can go..but it was a one only bike.
personally i would follow trek. they seem to have a track record for dominating the sport and we still see alot more great things to come from them...:D

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
uh, they made the Y bike, didn't they?

:rolleyes: :D
And the VRX, and the original DH bike of theirs, the fuel, liquid. all crap.

2inthehole, Wisconson location...... could be a undercover Trek exec:D Out with the suit!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by Zark

2inthehole, Wisconson location...... could be a undercover Trek exec:D Out with the suit!
I've seen worse than Trek.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Has everyone forgotten that a 1.5 headtube DOES NOT limit fork choices?! If Trek can make a bike, they surely can make reducing cups. If they don't there are already choices out there anyways. The 1.5 standard may have been pushed first/hardest by a fork maker, but its biggest benefit is for frame builders.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by Zark

Yeah you sure know alot about bikes :rolleyes: except for the VRX these bikes are great for their intended purpose. The fuel is one of the fastest XC bikes you can find.

May i also remind people about a bike called the bruiser. Yeah it was a hardtail but it was an DJ/urban(Came out before many companies had DJ/urban bikes, that to me shows interest in this segment of riding). Just because they waited to come out with a production FR rig doesn't mean they should be written off. I'd be on one if my old shop still had trek.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Originally posted by CraigH
First one that came to mind was the Yeti Lawill frames.

well, I don't know when that bike came out, but it wasn't very recently.

it also resembles a schwinn sraight-8, but I forgot when they each came out.....

last I knew, Yeti was coming out with a new DH bike.......maybe because it is a little outdated

point is, that design may have been original when it came out, but no longer is. the first single pivot bike that came out (whatever it was) was original......when it came out

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
Other than a VPP linkage, name one bike who's linkage is original :rolleyes: :think:
well, I don't know when that bike came out, but it wasn't very recently.
it also resembles a schwinn sraight-8, but I forgot when they each came out.....
last I knew, Yeti was coming out with a new DH bike.......maybe because it is a little outdated
point is, that design may have been original when it came out, but no longer is. the first single pivot bike that came out (whatever it was) was original......when it came out
Yeti built the Schwinn Straight 8 bikes, which is why they are similar.

That is the newest Yeti DH bike, the DH9.

Original Yeti Lawill design was 97 I think.

By your definition, the VPP isn't original either as Outland built the first one in 1995.
Ref. #1
Ref. #2

1998 Outland VPP