Quantcast

Tuesday gmt yadseut

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Is shifting a common thing in houses? Maybe a Colorado-specific issue? It's surprising to me, but then again, I'm not a structural engineer...
CO builds using floating slab because of the type of soil we have. The vertical parts of the foundation are fixed and the center support structures are pinned down about 6ft but not attached to the slab.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
CO builds using floating slab because of the type of soil we have. The vertical parts of the foundation are fixed and the center support structures are pinned down about 6ft but not attached to the slab.
Heavy clays such as bentonite and montmorillinite, yes?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
a coworker just announced his last day is next week, and he's spending the next two years riding his bike around the world and building a house on property in Guatemala. I'm entirely stoked for him, and very aware that I've done almost no travel in my life.

OK, back to updating my budgets and double checking TPS reports.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
I remember the first time Mrs. Dirtrider and me went to Grand Junction to ride. First day in it rained harder than a cow pissing on a flat rock..so no riding. Opted for a hike to some dinosaur tracks instead. Holy hell the clayey bentonite was slicker than snot and after about 10 yards your shoes weighed about 5 pounds (a piece).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I remember the first time Mrs. Dirtrider and me went to Grand Junction to ride. First day in it rained harder than a cow pissing on a flat rock..so no riding. Opted for a hike to some dinosaur tracks instead. Holy hell the clayey bentonite was slicker than snot and after about 10 yards your shoes weighed about 5 pounds (a piece).
We got denied the Porc Rim descent when we did Koko due ot the peanut butter bullshit out west here. :mad: