Quantcast

U.S. Open Schedule

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Trying to figure out if I can make it out to the Open this year. I have searched, but can't seem to fine the schedule of events. I want to know what day practice starts.
Also since I am still pretty Low Budget, do any of you know a good place that sells cheap plane tickets. (do any have a student discount) I know of one, but I don't think they do domestic flights.
And does anyone want to help me with a ride from an airport to the event. If someone lives close to an airport and is heading to Mt. Creek, or is driving past one on the way there. I can chip in for gas / whatnot.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I sent a message to Shawn about the sched. for the Open a while ago, but I think he's pretty busy with all the trail renovations, construction of new drops, and the desgin and construction of the new slopestyle park to reply.

Usually the sched goes something like this:

Friday:
Practice in the afternoon for everyone - course closes at 4pm for maintanence. Walk-In Registration, and Registration check-in is available throughout the day.

Sat.:
Practice starts around 8am and goes by racing class - Ex: Ams 8 - 10am, Pro/Open 10 - 12pm. Rider Meeting at 12:30pm Qualifiers start around 1 or 2pm by class. Walk-In Registration, and Registration check-in is available throughout the day.

Sunday:
Race starts by class.

I wish I could help you with a ride bro, but I'm rolling in from central Pa....:wonky2:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
if you sign onto www.orbitz.com and create an account, they have a feature that you will be notified when the price for flights to a certain place drop below a certain dollar amount, say $250. It will send you an email if prices drop below that number. Also Southwest Airlines has cheap ones, but way limited on where they fly (like Jet Blue)

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I have room in my motel room at the Days inn right down the road from diablo if you need a place to stay sanjay...

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
i was kinda curious about the same thing.... I also noticed that it says there's a "slopestyle" exibition there as well....so i was kinda curious if that changed up the schedule any. i wouldn't think so.....but just in case!

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
just as everyone else has said:

Friday: split up practice all day
Sat: split practice then qualifiers
Sun: split practice then finals

Although registration is open on friday and saturday, I would not be suprised if the event sells out before that friday. If you plan on racing and traveling to the race, I would sign up ASAP

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
An event so popular that it sells out... Must be doing something right.

DS Dom said:
just as everyone else has said:

Friday: split up practice all day
Sat: split practice then qualifiers
Sun: split practice then finals

Although registration is open on friday and saturday, I would not be suprised if the event sells out before that friday. If you plan on racing and traveling to the race, I would sign up ASAP

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
saydesyn:
An event so popular that it sells out... Must be doing something right.
...you have no idea...:)

Last year there were so many people showing up to compete last minute, that some of the guys running the event had to make up temporary number plates on pieces of paper!

I think Am class last year was about 300 deep...

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
hey sanj, I was looking up jetblue and found cheap tickets a while ago, and then I couldnt find them again, I know that if you fly midweek its like $50-100 cheaper

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
merrrrjig said:
hey sanj, I was looking up jetblue and found cheap tickets a while ago, and then I couldnt find them again, I know that if you fly midweek its like $50-100 cheaper
tuesday through Thursday will get you th ebest rates BTW, especially if you fly super early, or super late, and have one or more stopovers.

I am king of the cheap airline ticket searches!
(Or just cheap) :wonky2:

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
JeffD said:
When your designated practice time is up, can you still ride other parts of the mountain or are you SOL?
Everything on the mountain that does not effect the race course is open. This is pretty much all the trails except 2 or 3. This is probably the greatest aspect of the Open when compared to nationals and such. If you have never been to Diablo, you can ride enough runs in a day to make your arms want to fall off.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
DS Dom said:
Everything on the mountain that does not effect the race course is open. This is pretty much all the trails except 2 or 3. This is probably the greatest aspect of the Open when compared to nationals and such. If you have never been to Diablo, you can ride enough runs in a day to make your arms want to fall off.
yup, can't wait.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Cool, that's what I thought but just checking. Wouldn't wanna drive for 15+ hours to get same or less practice than a nat.

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
FAR more practice than a nat, as many times as you can get up the mt determines how many runs you'll get and it's not a question of how long the lift line is or how slow the lift, its pretty much how much can you take / how much do you wanna save in the tank for the race itself. OH yeah and then after practice the entire mt is open to you for free if you paid to race. it's totally worth it

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
I believe the slopestyle exhibition is just going to be a free for all on saturday, everyone rides no specific orders, as many runs as you want, whoever throws it down the awesomest wins. (I think)

Problem-No hotel within 40 miles has a room available, we might be able to possibly pick you up at Bradley International (Connecticut) early Friday morning, PM me if your interested

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
mtbpaint1 said:
I believe the slopestyle exhibition is just going to be a free for all on saturday, everyone rides no specific orders, as many runs as you want, whoever throws it down the awesomest wins. (I think)

Problem-No hotel within 40 miles has a room available, we might be able to possibly pick you up at Bradley International (Connecticut) early Friday morning, PM me if your interested
Thanks all for the information. I am pretty sure that I will be heading out there. I have a ride to a from the airport lined up and a place to sleep. All I now need is a plane ticket and to register.

mtbpaint1: Check your PM's.

Anyone out there have a Norba/United Airlines bike voucher they aren't using. Sometimes they don't charge you for bringing a bike, but I don't want to spend $70 each way if I don't have to.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey down hill sausage can i snag a spot in your hotel room? i still need accomodations. lets see if we can get more complaints against us than last year at diabloween :rofl:

MadDHer

Monkey
Mar 8, 2006
RICKSHAW baby...don't forget, cows are sacred, you can't ride them.
But I'm sure some monkeys would hook you up with a ride on their Starship Enterprise.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
jonKranked said:
hey down hill sausage can i snag a spot in your hotel room? i still need accomodations. lets see if we can get more complaints against us than last year at diabloween :rofl:
no, cause that will all be charged to my credit card.

no.

and this is what happens when you plan ahead. i have a room. and people commited too it. with money already paid to me. sanjay is getting the closet as he requested.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oh i thought u still had spaces open. that's all you gotta say, wanker.

and the diabloween reference was meant as entertainment, so take it as entertainment. lighten up dude. also you know i'm good for the $$ if there was a space open.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well i just found out that Evil Jay gets to bring his truck and his parents want to come and watch Jay's first race so they are bringing an RV. so i may have one place on the floor left....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
steve just keep me posted buddy. i wish bebop would come. he'd have a blast, plus he lives sorta close. i might be staying at his place for a few of the races this summer.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
nice, give his gf and kiss for me. and bring me some of her home made food

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i told him i want to tag team her. he didn't like that idea. :rofl:

i talked to her on the phone the other week when I was up and we were at kate's. she seems really nice too, so i'm really happy for him.

maiku2000

Chimp
Feb 3, 2006
MadDHer said:
RICKSHAW baby...don't forget, cows are sacred, you can't ride them.
But I'm sure some monkeys would hook you up with a ride on their Starship Enterprise.
dooooooood dont be lame...everyone knows the millenium falcon will get there quicker...

MadDHer

Monkey
Mar 8, 2006
maiku2000 said:
dooooooood dont be lame...everyone knows the millenium falcon will get there quicker...
Only if you can get Chewbaca to be the pilot, wookies are great pilots. But let's be realistic here: Who would be able to arrange for Chewy to be the pilot?! He can barely fit in the seat.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
MadDHer said:
Only if you can get Chewbaca to be the pilot, wookies are great pilots. But let's be realistic here: Who would be able to arrange for Chewy to be the pilot?! He can barely fit in the seat.
What are the 3 red squares next to your post count all about?

maiku2000

Chimp
Feb 3, 2006
MadDHer said:
once again...you know nothing about riding, and nothing about chewbacca...
The seats are FREAKING custom made man...CMON! He fits perfectly...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
It's the positive / negative feedback counter... members vote on who is helpful and cool to others on the board...

...and as you can see MadDHer is leading the charge on negative feedback.:rolleyes:

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
If anyone wants a room at the days inn you can have our reservations. When we made them they said we got the last room they had but we can't make it anymore so I figured I'd offer it up to a monkey.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea i got the 2nd to last double bed... you can fit 8 people and their bikes in there pretty comfy. anyone else gonna be at the days inn?